Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this airhead make me an airhead?

lonelobo

The crack pipe adventures of "RENEGADE", Super Bike!!

Ladies and gentlemen, as we continue please remember to keep all limbs inside the tour bus at all times. Hillbilly Karma is everywhere and we want you all to return with all your digits intact after the tour. You will notice to your left that there is only half a rear fender. Anyone have a clue how this happens?

Here is the HZE shock treatment. Notice the engineering involved in compressing the spring. Washer technology surely has come a long way since the old days!

Generic right side shot.

lonelobo

But wait, there's more!

Every respectable Hillbilly engineer knows that when you add wiring to your bike, you must protect it from alien rays from outer space and the most effective way to do that is official Hillbilly chrome from Reynolds. Comes in rolls at every grocery store and you can wrap it around all your super secret circuits so no prying spy eyes will steal your secrets. You will also notice the spark plug wire ground? Is this HZE or something real?

Here's she is with her hat off. I'll show you some bodily fluids next.

Actually, the air filter looks pretty new and the oil looks ok. Officially, the first good things I have seen on the RENEGADE...don't you just love saying it...RENEGADE...

lonelobo

Last one for this morning

This is Classic HZE at it's best. I will wait for your collective wisdom to migrate to this thread. Have a great morning, fellow lunatics!

James.A
    I've seen worse. It's got a great vibe, like a whooped up old Fender Strat.

Rally Rat
    Wow, that really does make me feel better about my not ready for judging bike.

Thanks for the posts!

I suspect this thread will be going for awhile...

Great writing, lonelobo, informative and entertaining.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.

Keep us updated! This is going to be a labor of love, for sure. Be sure and get vanity plates that read: RNEGADE
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

lonelobo

That's what I'm here for.

Quote Originally Posted by nealart View Post
    Wow, that really does make me feel better about my not ready for judging bike.

Thanks for the posts!
    Success is making someone else feel better about their obsession...while secretly planning to take over the universe or make your bike run, whichever comes first.

Unavailable for comment
    Get some help.

lonelobo

A few rules may be necessary

OK, I am truly grateful for all the early replies but feel I need to set some ground rules. Statements like:

"You have a lot of work ahead of you...hope you're retired"
    "Boy, are you in for a sh$tload of agony"
    "What the H#LL were you thinking, you FRI$$IN IDGIT"
    "What did you expect, for someone here to bail you out of your ignorance?"
    "I did that once....never again"

may not be exactly the kind of encouragement that a sensitive sort, such as myself will find useful. Remember, I am trying to stay OUT of the state hospital!

However, the exception to the above rule may be violated at will if you will include at least one bit of useful mechanical advice. Such as:

"Find someone who can dip the entire thing for fleas"

"Many restorations start with aluminum foil decoupage of the tank. Go to www.funthingstodowithaluminumfoil.com for more info."

"All that oil doesn't belong where the photo shows it." You might want to check your checkbook first, then open up the wallet area of your pants and start emptying it of everything green".

You know, specific comments about what the pictures show and where I should start. I am well equipped with tools, having the best set of wrench's the Serbo-Croation coalition ever produced and lots of Q-tips as well. So let's get started slingin mud.

lonelobo

A starting point

In acknowledgment that I have some responsibility in this, I will begin by asking if anyone knows of any web based source for resurrecting an old engine? Step by step guide to bringing an engine back to life would be great. I had found a site (forum I believe) that had a great dialog between a couple of guys rebuilding similar bikes along with their notes and a lot of help from other forum members, but I have been looking for it since the Beast entered and Now I can't find it to save my or Renegade's life.

First step is getting the engine going but I don't want to strart cranking w/starter motor. I'm used to kick starters where you can actually get a feel for compression, etc. I will need to check compression but before that need to just turn the engine over slowly and gently. Please advise best way. I know I can turn the rear wheel but for a one man band that is a bit awkward. TIA for any advice.

lonelobo

Yes, I have a manual.

Just thought I'd throw out the fact that I DO have a Clymer manual that came with the bike but sometimes don't know where to find the information I need. For example, I would love to see a real picture of the starter relay. Yes, I can read a schematic...but barely...and the schematics never include geographical information. I may not be a Hillbilly, but that doesn't mean I'm not ignorant.

Rally Rat
    Well, we use an allen wrench in the alternator to turn the engine (with plugs out) to set static timing. Clockwise.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelobo View Post
    OK, I am truly grateful for all the early replies but feel I need to set some ground rules. Statements like:

"You have a lot of work ahead of you...hope you're retired"
    "Boy, are you in for a sh$tload of agony"
    "What the H#LL were you thinking, you FRI$$IN IDGIT"
    "What did you expect, for someone here to bail you out of your ignorance?"
    "I did that once....never again"

may not be exactly the kind of encouragement that a sensitive sort, such as myself will find useful. Remember, I am trying to stay OUT of the state hospital!

However, the exception to the above rule may be violated at will if you will include at least one bit of useful mechanical advice. Such as:

"Find someone who can dip the entire thing for fleas"

"Many restorations start with aluminum foil decoupage of the tank. Go to www.funthingstodowithaluminumfoil.com for more info."

"All that oil doesn't belong where the photo shows it." You might want to check your checkbook first, then open up the wallet area of your pants and start emptying it of everything green".

You know, specific comments about what the pictures show and where I should start. I am well equipped with tools, having the best set of wrench's the Serbo-Croation coalition ever produced and lots of Q-tips as well. So let's get started slingin mud.
    Have no fear that I would make ANY of the above remarks, in fact I see absolutely noting wrong with the bike (other than some parts seem to have been mysteriously removed, but perhaps that was to take pictures?) I say stop wasting your time (and ours) taking pictures of it and just put it back to together as you found it and then ride the damn thing!

RM

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelobo View Post
    Just thought I'd throw out the fact that I DO have a Clymer manual that came with the bike but sometimes don't know where to find the information I need. For example, I would love to see a real picture of the starter relay. Yes, I can read a schematic...but barely...and the schematics never include geographical information. I may not be a Hillbilly, but that doesn't mean I'm not ignorant.
    This oughta give you an idea of the layout of a few things. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=47882

And I've got the same sickness as you. To me, it looks awesome. Wish I could lend a hand. I've brought 2, well, 4, no, 5 bikes back from similar condition.

Keep the pics coming.

After seeing these great pics and story I have a strange craving for tearing apart another bike. I'd love to pull that whole bike apart. Thanks for a great posting so far.