Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mirrors for R1200RT

Question Mirrors for R1200RT

I am looking to add mirrors to my R1200RT in the existing holes on the handlebars for better visability. Has anyone out there done this, if so what mirrors were used.

RTST

mirrors

I have the mirrors from the K1200RS, they are oval shaped and to me look better on the RT than the round ones from the GS. I got mine from A&S in Roseville CA. I am sure you can order them from any dealership although I found A&S had them and the needed special washer and nut in stock.
    Larry

Locksmith Extraordinaire
    R1150GS, K1200RS, R1200C and a few others work.

I just bought the set of K1200RS mirrors for my '07 RT. I haven't received them yet, so I can't say how well they work yet. I do know that they are the best looking set.

Also, they fit on the switch housing in a way that they shouldn't rotate in the holes as easy as the others.

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the replies and info. I'll make the call today and order the mirrors.

I also bought RS mirrors from A&S for an 06 RT. They are great. Easy to install. The only problem is they will sometimes hit the windshield if you turn to full lock if your shield is in the lower area. They really improve the rear view, plus they don't look bad at all.

RTST
    Don't have a problem with mine hitting windshield, do you have a aftermarket shield?
    Larry

Mirrors for a R1200RT

I too would like to do this, I'm not totally satisfied with the fairing mirrors.

Would some one post a picture or two of the installed K1200RS mirrors installed on a R1200 RT.

Could some one explain a bit more on the special washer etc required and available from A&S.

Leon Franklin
    08 R1200 RT

Added K1200RS mirrors....

Go to this thread and scroll down for pictures.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27582

My only comment is I noticed a reduction in MPG of about 3-4 MPG. I experimented by alternating tanks of gas (one with the mirrors and the next without). Tanks of gas with the mirrors consitently ran 3-4 MPG less than tanks of gas without them.

BobFV1
    I added the RS mirrors to supplement the factory mirrors. The OEM's work fine unless you have a load which sticks off either side of the stock rear rack.

Okay - the K1200 RS mirrors are plug and play on the right side, but on the left side the hole needs to be bored out a bit at the bottom with a Dremel. Here are two "before" shots on the left side - see the shiny bolt sticking up - it is hung up on the bottom of the hole:

This is the hole before modification - it's just that little lip at the bottom that needs to come off:

A quick job with the Dremel:

And a little coaxing with another special tool on top:

The official BMW nut was not a hex hut, it was just a gnurled round not with a goofy little washer, I could not ficure out how to get it on:

So I improvised a tool with vice grips and electrician's tape - worked like a charm:

In place! I love it when a plan comes together!

There they are! (Before you flame me, I was doing lots of work that day and ad not yet cleaned up all those power and data cables in front of the instruments.)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post
    The OEM's work fine unless you have a load which sticks off either side of the stock rear rack.
    ....or mounted on top of the side cases.

Okay - the K1200 RS mirrors are plug and play on the right side, but on the left side the hole needs to be bored out a bit at the bottom with a Dremel. Here are two "before" shots on the left side - see the shiny bolt sticking up - it is hung up on the bottom of the hole:
    I'm not sure why your left side caused you problems. Both of mine dropped straight in without any extra work or modification. It was then just a simple matter of tightening up with an allen wrench.
    Last edited by Artiee; 09-12-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    I'm not sure why your left side caused you problems. Both of mine dropped straight in without any extra work or modification. It was then just a simple matter of tightening up with an allen wrench.
    Same with mine. The allen wrench fits inside the bottom of that little nut. Use some loctite - they cost $8 apiece. DAMHIK
    Dan

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Same with mine. The allen wrench fits inside the bottom of that little nut. Use some loctite - they cost $8 apiece. DAMHIK
    We must have had different part number mirrors - also note - no little allen hole in the nut:

We must have had different part number mirrors - also note - no little allen hole in the nut:

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't explain it very well. The end of the nut takes an allen wrench - opposite the end that threads onto the mirror. At least on mine.
    Dan

Same on mine. The allen nut is recessed inside the barrel. Just stick a metric allen wrench in there.
    Bernie Echt
    Jacksonville, FL
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver, 2000 R11RT sold (103K)
    MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW Outriders, BMW-RA, AMA

Jack Herbst

Nut

Same ting wid mine. Did not have to widen left hole either. R1200RT 2008