Thread: R50/2 project

Mark Green

R50/2 project

A question for the MOA smart guys.

I am considering taking over a project(1966 R50/2) my neighbor wants to bail out of. I have experience with /7s but am not familiar with the /2. The bikes generator cover has a dent from the Earles fork linkage. How could this happen? Does this indicate it may have been in a crash?

Thank you,

Mark Green

In short - Yes.

You will probably have problems when disassembling the front swingarm; the through-bolt that serves as an axle is notoriously picky about the alignment. If the forks are not bent, it will slide out easily (if it is also not rusted to the bearing races). Otherwise, it's a real PITA.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Is it possible that the dent is due to the wrong cover being used with the wrong Earles fork or something like that? I recall that the horizontal piece on the lower rear portion of the front swingarm became more flattened over time. This was done for clearances purposes. Maybe that came along at the time they change all the covers to accomodate the damper...even though the damper was not necessarily installed on the R50/2.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Look at the tab on the frame where the steering damper attaches. It is the weakest point (IMHO) and the thing most likely to bend in a front end collision. That was just one of the give-aways that my bike had had its front end replace sometime before it came into my hands.

steering damper attachment

That was mine when I took it apart (the original R69S hydraulic damper had been replaced with a friction damper along with the rest of the front end). The slot in the frame attached tab was elongated and the tab was tweaked.

// marc

I believe that 20774 is refering to the Harmonic Balancer aka vibration damner not the steering damper. This is located under the timing cover on later models. My R69S doesn't have one but I believe they came on the 62s. however a leading link does'nt move vertically at this point...so do you have any pics of the dent?

Here is some good info on /2s

http://www.snafu.org/restore/1998-10/page3.html
    http://w6rec.com/index.html
    http://vintagebmw.org/version6/index.php?q=node/24

Mark Green

pic of timing cover

I have attached a pic of the timing cover on the 1966 R50/2 in question.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark Green

pic of timing cover

Another view.

Rally Rat
    That is the timing cover used for the R69S with the harmonic balancer. Since you have a straight 50 or 60 by the looks of the valve covers, you could use the regular front cover.

This is my front cover: notice it does not have the big round bumpout. But it does have the little "smile" from the swingarm.... not sure how it got there, maybe from removing the cover and sliding along? Hmmm......

As an aside, these pictures make me think of some animal with small eyes...perhaps a baby beluga face
    Last edited by rpeckham136133; 09-10-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: change animal face

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeckham136133 View Post
    As an aside, these pictures make me think of some animal with small eyes...perhaps a baby beluga face
    I see it, too.

Oh, and 77158, post more pics!

Mark Green

more pics for crazydrummerdude

another pic

Mark Green

another pic for crazydrummerdude

last pic I have