Thread: Integrated brakes and flats

Integrated brakes and flats

So what happens when the front or back tire goes flat? One is not supposed to brake the flat tire. With integrated brakes what is one to do? I've had flats, both front and rear on other bikes. I'm just not clear on handling flats on a K1200 with integrated brakes. Any thoughts?

first of all, your front tire is never going to go totaly flat before you notice it. unless, of course, your are running mexican racing slicks (cord showing). Then you deserve what you get.

secondly, do not brake at all. Clutch it, and coast to a stop. doesnt matter what type of brakes you have.

braking only transfers weight and unballances the tire load, the last thing you would want when your tires are not optimum.

Blocking the slow lane
    The bigger question I have, is that since there are front and rear wheel sensors constantly monitoring wheel speed, why can't a threshold be set to alert the rider of a tire going flat? As a flat tire will start to sag on the sidewall, its speed should change, right? Seems like it would be an easy thing to integrate into the overall electronics package.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    John. you can buy pressure transducers that mount inside your tire. They will transmit to a reciever that you mount to your bike that will alert you of this problem. They have been available for years, and have trickled down to aftermarket use.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Blocking the slow lane
    I'm familiar with that stuff, but I want them integrated into the bike. Development costs couldn't be that high, considering that the hardware is already there.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    If they get 200.00 for a savanna jacket liner, I bet it would only cost 4000.00 to put the system you describe on the bikes.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Blocking the slow lane
    That's a lot cheaper than having to lose 50 pounds so I can bend over far enough to manually check tire pressure!!
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador