Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Must see in TN

  1. #16
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Ahh, the wisdom of the 'locals' that I referred to!

    Thanks for sharing. My 'point of reference' can only be the areas I have visited several times within the last three years.

    Those of you who enjoy this area as your 'backyard' are in a much better position to suggest routes, layovers, POI's, etc.

    Looking forward to a return visit - keep the intel flowing about what we all should be looking for in your neck of the woods!
    Love to get advice from the locals; but I don't always heed their words. I'm happiest with just a state road map, a desire for squiggley line roads, and a sense of adventure.
    I always find neat "stuff" and have a ball!
    Case in point: Doing the "Dragon" has become a virtual requirement for almost everyone on two wheels. I was there in 1980 when it wasn't as well known, and had a blast! Going back now would be a bummer for me. It's too much of a tourist trap and, with all the squids out there diceing with the law, a less than safe place to be.

  2. #17
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Love to get advice from the locals; but I don't always heed their words. I'm happiest with just a state road map, a desire for squiggley line roads, and a sense of adventure.
    I always find neat "stuff" and have a ball!
    Case in point: Doing the "Dragon" has become a virtual requirement for almost everyone on two wheels. I was there in 1980 when it wasn't as well known, and had a blast! Going back now would be a bummer for me. It's too much of a tourist trap and, with all the squids out there diceing with the law, a less than safe place to be.
    Being a "local", I don't know anyone around here that would ever recommend the "Dragon". Based on the hype, almost all of us rode the "Dragon" and came away disappointed. There are 3 rides within 45 minutes of my house that are better.

    If you just get a state map and look for squiggley roads, you will miss a lot of good riding roads. Around here, the maps do not accurately represent the roads. Based on maps, dispatchers keep routing trucks over our best road that goes over three mountains (Rt 16 between Marion, VA and Tazewell, VA) that is impossible for a large truck because the curves far more crooked and the mountains are far steeper than are indicated on any map. Maps also don't indicate the quality of the road surface.

    If you find a knowledgeable local, they can be a very valuable resource. You have to be careful because there are a lot of pretenders that can lead you astray.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    4,931
    Looks like U will be coming in from the west, if U cross into Tn. at Memphis during the middle of the week, Bikes on Beale is Wendsday night. Ride your bike downtown to Beale, park it free on the street and listen to all the free blues, soul, rock, and rockabilly. You'll still be snapping your fingers, and tapping your feet when U get to the rally. Rally may be a little bit of a downer after that, at least the rally will give U a place for some quiet time to relax.

  4. #19
    Rather Be Ridin' alabeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Helena, Alabammer
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Rally may be a little bit of a downer after that, at least the rally will give U a place for some quiet time to relax.

    Come on Barry..."rally a bit of a downer"??? We gonna have tunes there too....good ones!

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,007

  6. #21
    BMWBAGBY
    Guest

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Looks like U will be coming in from the west, if U cross into Tn. at Memphis during the middle of the week, Bikes on Beale is Wendsday night. Ride your bike downtown to Beale, park it free on the street and listen to all the free blues, soul, rock, and rockabilly. You'll still be snapping your fingers, and tapping your feet when U get to the rally. Rally may be a little bit of a downer after that, at least the rally will give U a place for some quiet time to relax.
    Excellent! Memphis was going to be one of our "stop overs" and now we know when! Thanks!!!

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    4,931
    Try this web site for more info. www.bealestreet.com Home of the Blues and the Birthplace of RocknRoll.

  8. #23
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,527
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    If you just get a state map and look for squiggley roads, you will miss a lot of good riding roads.
    what you need is a delorme gazetteer.



    ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    ________________________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  9. #24
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,527
    Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post

  10. #25
    rocketman
    Guest
    I often use google map images (topo and road view) and print those pages out, along with setting my GPS to "shortest route, no highways" and have found a ton of wonderful roads that way all over the eastern seaboard and mountain areas from PA down thru Georgia. Never had a bad ride (road wise) using those two techniques.

    Either that or just follow your nose and the sun...... if you're in a rush, take the car! Ha ha!

    RM
    Last edited by rocketman; 09-04-2008 at 04:01 PM.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,007
    Historic Rugby, TN




    Time stands still at Rugby, Tennessee - the restored Victorian village founded in 1880 by British author and social reformer, Thomas Hughes. It was to be a cooperative, class-free, agricultural community for younger sons of English gentry and others wishing to start life anew in America. At its peak, some 350 people lived in the colony. More than 70 buildings of Victorian design graced the townscape on East Tennessee's beautiful Cumberland Plateau.
    This would-be Utopia survives today as both a living community and a fascinating public historic site, unspoiled by modern development. Twenty original buildings still stand at the southern edge of the Big South Fork National Park, surrounded by rugged river gorges.



    near Big South Fork National Recreation Area, also not to be missed




    and check out Charot Creek Lodge for a stay (requires human propulsion to access)
    Last edited by wuli959; 09-04-2008 at 05:51 PM.

  12. #27
    That road looks good! Norwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    From NW AL to WNC
    Posts
    246

    Good roads, paved and non paved in area

    Here is link to some great roads in the rally area.

    http://www.tailofthedragon.com/other_rides.html
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

    " Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •