Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K1200GT gen 2 service cost?

The price of high-tech ... servicing the "wedge".

Armed with the service DVD, I performed the valve check, spark plug and air filter renewal, cooling flush/refill on my '08 K1200GT at a little over 12K miles. I purchased the bike used with 8K miles and was uncertain when/who/how it had been serviced last. Dropped the final drive, changed the gear oil and lubed the pinion splines while she was down. Flushed and refilled the brake and clutch systems also. Bought a vacuum setup to recharge the cooling system, stick coil puller (the GT didn't come with one like my oilhead did) and special spark plug socket so my additional costs were around $150 or so. I've been wrenching on bikes for over 40 years but this was my first time to do the service on the GT and it look most of a three-day weekend. I felt pretty good when the job was over (knowing I saved several hundred $$$) but the experience made me recall that the same service on my '04 RT would have taken around 6 hours and about 3 hours on my '96 Yamaha Royal Star! And changing the engine oil and filter? Don't get me started!

Somewhere on the wall in the BMW engineering department in Munich or Berlin is a sign that says (in correct German, of course) "Design ze motorcycle dat ze owner cannot service!". With the development of the Wedge engine, the Motorrad has come very close to achieving that goal! With that in mind, we should prepare to do the work ourselves or pay our good friends at the dealerships to do it for us.
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

I have heard that the valves very seldom need adjustment, so thinking on saving that $300.

Are these prices WAY out of line or just a tad out of line?[/QUOTE]

Just checked mine at 28,000 and did not see any issues with clearance. Information from a BMW dealer employee who comes to the Mickey-D coffee morning session states that the K engine very seldom needs adjusting before 48,000 miles and then it's not necessarily a given. So, check your plugs to see the story on how the engine is running. If they don't show any sign of running too lean or hot, I'd save the money and put it into something else important, like heated gear so you can ride all winter.... BTW, I was quoted right at $1000 for the service, which is why I decided to tackle it myself. Cost me right around $400, which included changing out the quick disconnects ($79.00) new K&N air filter, gas filter (hardest part of the process to change, IMHO) new valve cover gasket, Ams Oil and filter, Bosch spark plugs, brake fluid for front, back and clutch, and a vacuum pump for bleeding, plus a bleeder nipple for the clutch line bleed. So, of the $400 and change, a little over a hundred was for tools that can be used to off set the price of the next scheduled maintenance. I should mention that my 2001 is pre servo-brake process, so bleeding is much like my previous jap bike process.
    I recommend doing it yourself so you have a better feel for your equipment.....

If yours is a 2001 it is a brick, not a wedge.
    "My momma" could replace the plugs on a brick, on a wedge the radiator comes out.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Well I guess they like to quote high so you can feel good when the price ends up lower?
    Total was $835 w/valves, coolant flush, brake flush, etc
    About $655 for the service, extra $100 for the brake flush, under $20 to fix the recurring brake pad warning light (found wire problem), other $60 for taxes and shop supplies.
    Gave it a bath for me too.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Blocking the slow lane
    Gilly, did they say anything about changing out the cam chain or tensioner? Just curious what the latest line of thinking is about this.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Jon, no, nothing about the chain. Said he wouldn't look at the valves again until 50K+.
    I did have the tensioner update done already and they also did the chain jump guard at the same time. Didn't charge me anything.
    My impression is that the best thing you can do is at least install the guard and new style tensioner, if you don't have them already. Some will suggest the Ape manual tensioner instead of the updated BMW tensioner.
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

larshep

Service cost

Just had the 12,000 mile service done on my K1200GT, they also did the cam jump under recall.
    The cost was $542.00 which seems to be about the norm.

Many Northern riders wait until the winter to get BIG WORK done - shop rates are cheaper $45-$70. If I had a garage to work on my bike - I would but living in a city not many have garages
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753