Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K1200GT gen 2 service cost?

K1200GT gen 2 service cost?

A non-forum using buddy of mine with a gen 2 K1200GT just had his 18K service interval done and was rather shocked to receive a $727.41 bill. Broken down, that is $585 labor (billed for 7.8 hours @ $75/hr), the rest being tax and parts. Is this fairly normal? Sounds a bit excessive... No breakdown on parts or what was done was given to him so I can't provide more information. I told him the first step was to go back and get a summary of what they did... which, if nothing else, would be good reference down the line. Just seeking information... I don't want to go into which dealer and such unless there seems to be a reason to throw up a warning flag.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

BrickRider
    Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown View Post
    A non-forum using buddy of mine with a gen 2 K1200GT just had his 18K service interval done and was rather shocked to receive a $727.41 bill. Broken down, that is $585 labor (billed for 7.8 hours @ $75/hr), the rest being tax and parts. Is this fairly normal? Sounds a bit excessive... No breakdown on parts or what was done was given to him so I can't provide more information. I told him the first step was to go back and get a summary of what they did... which, if nothing else, would be good reference down the line. Just seeking information... I don't want to go into which dealer and such unless there seems to be a reason to throw up a warning flag.
    If your buddy lives in 'Zoo near you, then the bike was likely serviced at BMW MC of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have known John Wallace (Service Manager/Part Owner) for a very long time...He is as honest as they come. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to go straight to him for explanations, because he only knows how to give straight answers.

Yes, the service is pricey... So is an auto dealership, in case you haven't had to use one lately. We live in a $$TAXMichiganTAX$$ State. Those costs get passed to the consumer through high taxes on goods AND services. The small businessman catches the fire & grief when it comes to paying the piper for all that wonderful government service we are getting. That is why we in Michigan are dead last of all 50 States in terms of economic growth, and have been for years.

The people of this State must love it, because the same idiots keep getting returned to office. If you have any doubts, just check the current national news regarding the case of corruption and murder swirling around the Mayor of Detroit and the complete inability of a pricipalled response by the Governor. So yes, politics does affect us all far beyond the voting booth right down to a local transaction in getting a motor vehicle repaired.

Find out what work was done. I have always received a bill detailing work performed, and if there are any questions I ask them on the spot. If BMW MC GR did the work, your buddy was treated fairly by the dealership, but not by the State Government.

It is important to understand the difference.

Ride Safely,
    BrickRider

Quote Originally Posted by brickrider View Post
    If your buddy lives in 'Zoo near you, then the bike was likely serviced at BMW MC of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have known John Wallace (Service Manager/Part Owner) for a very long time...He is as honest as they come. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to go straight to him for explanations, because he only knows how to give straight answers.
    Ride Safely,
    BrickRider
    No, he's not in Michitaxigan. I know the folks at BMWGR quite well. I phoned to talk to John about this but they are undergoing a BMW audit right now so he won't be sitting for a while

I haven't gotten to the 18K service yet, but isn't that the first major service that includes the first valve adjustment, among others?
    Steve Sylvester
    Paso Robles, Ca

The 12K major service takes about 7.5 hours. Example, changing the spark plugs requires removal of the radiator. But hey, it only costs a little more to have the fast bike!

Riding Like the wind (on an old K12RS)...

CHASMAN
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Bubbaslye

For what it's worth...

For what it's worth my 18k service cost $531.59 ( broken down as $450
    labor plus $75.90 parts and $5.69 sales tax ); after I dropped the bike
    off for service, I received a call asking me if I wanted the valves checked (!).

I could only respond that I thought a valve check was mandatory at 18k,
    so ( I have to hope ) one was performed.

Many, many years ago I struggled to persuade my parents that a m'cycle
    was a "sensible" purchase ( despite my youth ) because owning and
    operating one was so economical. Clearly, that's an argument that no
    longer applies, at least insofar as BMW is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    The 12K major service takes about 7.5 hours. Example, changing the spark plugs requires removal of the radiator. But hey, it only costs a little more to have the fast bike!

Riding Like the wind (on an old K12RS)...

CHASMAN
    Yeeoowww... well, I can see how that would rack up some time on the lift!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaslye View Post
    For what it's worth my 18k service cost $531.59 ( broken down as $450
    labor plus $75.90 parts and $5.69 sales tax ); after I dropped the bike
    off for service, I received a call asking me if I wanted the valves checked (!).

I could only respond that I thought a valve check was mandatory at 18k,
    so ( I have to hope ) one was performed.

Many, many years ago I struggled to persuade my parents that a m'cycle
    was a "sensible" purchase ( despite my youth ) because owning and
    operating one was so economical. Clearly, that's an argument that no
    longer applies, at least insofar as BMW is concerned.
    That's more the kind of info I think he's looking for. Checking valves would certainly add to labor costs, and if they already have the radiator out as Chasman suggested, they are right there and might as well do the check.

I don't think your parents were thinking about a new bike purchase either My first bike, a 20 year old 1982 Yamaha Virago 750 certainly was a low maintenance bike (once I changed out the gelled brake fluid).

I dug up this thread in a search, I know it's fairly old, but certainly spot on for my questions.

I have to get a service done on my 07 GT. Sticker shock!

$1000 for a 12K service (inspection I guess they call it). IF I wanted to skip the valve adjustment will take it down $300 to $700. I did just read in this thread the radiator comes out to replace plugs, fair enough, it does need a coolant flush, has never been done and bike is now 5 yrs old, so way overdue for that. Brake flush they did do at the same time as the brake pipe recall, I asked them to do a complete flush then (a year ago) and they did that and didn't charge me anything for doing it.

I have heard that the valves very seldom need adjustment, so thinking on saving that $300.

Are these prices WAY out of line or just a tad out of line?
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

Are these prices WAY out of line or just a tad out of line?
    Looking at the original post, I would say the price - $75 per hour - is absolutely not out of line for a shop rate. And based on the other posts it seems the amount of work - 7.8 hours - may be right too.

I can tell you from experience that when everything seems to be in the way of something and there is something in the way of everything, time requirements go up really fast.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I wonder if your friend has after market doo dads on the bike that required additional time to remove and replace?
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

The original post is from 4 years ago guys, I am just asking because this thread pertains to my wedge GT, fits my bike to a "T", I am asking for this thread to be moved to the wedge forum.
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Wedge K engines are labor intensive for major services.
    We have two,but I do all the work. Each time I do one, I cut the time a lot just because of familiarity.

It could range from 500-$800 easily. Most service cost threads here do have a wide range, depending on location-location-location. Shop rates vary so much depending on overhead...and location it seems.

Yes, to change plugs,do a valve "check" and such requires removing a lot of pieces and at a shop comes to a lot of shop hours.
    If the valves to need adjusting (the last three I checked were within limits...one at 36K at first check) that also requires a box of $$shims and more time.

The coolant flush takes a vacuum set up...not hard to do once you have that tool, but it takes some time. I changed hoses on the 36K 2005 model due to age...those cute pre-bent hoses are not cheap either, but peace of mind well worth it.
    Some shops figure in the costs of having those tools and bits on hand as part of their rate.

Had a bud trade up to a new model when he got to 36K to avoid the service
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    The original post is from 4 years ago guys, I am just asking because this thread pertains to my wedge GT, fits my bike to a "T", I am asking for this thread to be moved to the wedge forum.
    Gilly
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Awww it's OK little buddy
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606