View Poll Results: Do you suffer from Gear Envy?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I should be the Gear Envy poster child

2 5.13%
  • I suffer moderately from Gear Envy

12 30.77%
  • I suffer infrequently from Gear Envy

15 38.46%
  • I have never been afflicted with Gear Envy

3 7.69%
  • I only suffer from Bike Envy

7 17.95%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gear Envy

shape envy

I see people with those niffty "aero Stich" suits which really look like a good way to go...but alas they don't make them in my size. 3xl with a 44-45 inch waist.
    Being mostly broke all the time I don't suffer too much from gear envy I know I can't afford every little thingy that comes out. So I end up getting what will work for me. Last year at Charlston I realized I needed a "stuff bag" for my tent and sleeping bag etc. The BMW trailer was selling neat bags for about $125.00 I almost bought one. Then I went to K-Mart and found a bag that suits my purpose for about $25.

The grass is always greener....but hey dandylions are easier to maintain.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    jd, you might look into the Darien series of Aerostich suits. I had an acquaintance up in Tennessee several years back who was shaped ... well, different -- longer arms, shorter legs, wider body, or something like that.

Anyway, the folks at Rider Wearhouse outfitted him just fine in a Darien.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

dlearl476
    >I'm like lorazepam. I do a lot of research before I purchase and usually end up with exactly what I want.

Me too, Then, the week following, it's discontinued, discounted, and replaced with a newer, faster, better, cheaper model. But usually, I'm still happy with my purchase.

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar
    I tend to go "functional" then .. "cheap" What works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I do try to think outside the box just a bit to save a buck or two if possible. So I need a tent... Do I HAVE to have a "motorcycle" tent? Hell no! Just shop around a bit and get a decent tent. Same goes for several other bits of gear.. It doesn't HAVE to be motorcycle specific. Half the time they just add $$$ to the price tag and cater the marketing to the MC crowd. I try to walk the line between "rat biker" and "gear snob"

Walkin' the line and havin' a good time

RW

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    My tent is from bass pro shops, a 49.00 closeout 3 man jobbie that works great. I have an even cheaper one that I will bring if I have room when camping 2 up. It stores the gear, and sleeping is clutter free. I have a bps boat bag to haul the stuff in, and I hope to get a upack soon. It is hard to beat a 35.00 bag that is waterproof and has really heavy duty straps and hardware, and rings to use straps for anchoring.
    I won't camp when it is cold, so I have no need for a heavy duty sleeping bag. I have a fleece one, and a cheaper hollowfill one.
    round off the basics with a couple 5.99 collapsable chairs, and I have less than the cost of a kermit chair in my stuff. It doesn't cost a fortune to outfit yourself if you aren't a slave to brand names.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    My tent is from bass pro shops, a 49.00 closeout 3 man jobbie that works great. I have an even cheaper one that I will bring if I have room when camping 2 up. It stores the gear, and sleeping is clutter free. I have a bps boat bag to haul the stuff in, and I hope to get a upack soon. It is hard to beat a 35.00 bag that is waterproof and has really heavy duty straps and hardware, and rings to use straps for anchoring.
    I won't camp when it is cold, so I have no need for a heavy duty sleeping bag. I have a fleece one, and a cheaper hollowfill one.
    round off the basics with a couple 5.99 collapsable chairs, and I have less than the cost of a kermit chair in my stuff. It doesn't cost a fortune to outfit yourself if you aren't a slave to brand names.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Yeah, I have gear envy everytime I see something I like. I too
    try to research everything I buy, but it seems like my wants far
    exceed my means and patience isn't my long suit.

I think I am going to die of old age before my billfold catches up
    with the rest of me. I am thinking about just leaving my credit card at the local BMW shop so that I don't waste my money on
    the necessities of life.

Gerald

H2bill
    I typically research the heck out of something, look around for the best price on what I've finally decided on getting, and then buy it.

The next thing I do is STOP doing ongoing research on the item I just bought. Just be satisfied with what you got.

On the other hand, if you've got tons of money, buy it all!! Then you can sell what didn't work out.