Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Tennessee National Rally

Quote Originally Posted by vanmar27 View Post
    any questions or comments?

Vance Harrelson
    2009 Rally Chair
    bring chicken.

and... i volunteer to research riding and prepare rides.

oh, and i know some roads around there....

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Smile

Count me in as a Volunteer for the beer tent. I intend to arrive by Tuesday and camp out at the Rally site. Ride Safe

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Hmmm... According to Google Maps, Calgary to Johnson City is 3,685 km (2,289 miles) ÔÇô about 1 day 12 hours. I've wanted to ride east for a while and this just might be the push I need to do it.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    bring chicken.

and... i volunteer to research riding and prepare rides.

oh, and i know some roads around there....

ian
    Thanks Ian....I think no on the chicken ! I doubt I will be ready to eat chicken again by that time. Too soon after the "Chicken Rally" you know! Already working on some rides up there...and there are a few! Send 'em to me if ya got 'em!

Well Tess...I guess that Southern Style keyboard I had Dell build me really works!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Three of us who live in the area and plan on mapping out some of our favorite rides (road numbers, miles, etc.) and send them in. We ride the mountains of Virginia, Ashe county in NC and the Shady Valley/Mountain City area of Tennessee all the time. We don't know the road numbers or exact distances. We know how long it takes to get to a good place for lunch and an alternate route to return home. Most of our rides are 150-225 miles long but there are good shortcuts on almost all of them and we plan on making the rides multiple distances with the shortcuts included.

We have a copy of the Johnson City (I think) Chamber of Commerce "a 12 Pack To Go" suggestions for a dozen rides but they appear to be more like suggested Sunday family car rides and they don't give any distances or road numbers. We plan on contacting them to see if they have more detailed directions and if so, we'll give them a try and check them out.

Ken Osborne
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Thanks for the input. There are a couple folks working on this already as well. I do understand the handout we had in Gillette is not worth a great deal. I was not aware until we got there that those were going to be available so obviously I did not know how complete the information was. In any event, I know there is some really good stuff up there. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by vanmar27 View Post
    Thanks for the input. There are a couple folks working on this already as well. I do understand the handout we had in Gillette is not worth a great deal. I was not aware until we got there that those were going to be available so obviously I did not know how complete the information was. In any event, I know there is some really good stuff up there. Thanks for your help!
    I suspect we're talking about the same folks.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by HankPfister View Post
    CAMPING AREA AND MOTO-CROSS TRACK

There were some exhibit hall that looked to be air conditioned.
    Vanmar, THANKS! for taking this on. I'll be there, and will be volunteering.

Motocross track!

This year was a nice first test of a track near/on the rally. Next year's rally, we should make far more use of it.

2,630 miles the short way from here, and probably enough wiggling and wandering to make for a near 7,000 mile trip.
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    Motocross track!

This year was a nice first test of a track near/on the rally. Next year's rally, we should make far more use of it.
    scott - the mx track is right on the rally grounds.

and... i just got an extra set of dirt wheels/tires for the HP2...

ian

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Dummy,they invaded Georgia not Tennesee.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I suspect we're talking about the same folks.
    Yep...I suspect we are!

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    Gillette was my first rally and i am looking forward to next year in TN. coming from the east coast i imagine the nights in TN are humid so instead of camping next year i reserved a room at the Ramada Inn in Johnson City.
    I would like to know if the nights will cool off or not? I am not use to the humidity so I am not sure if I would sleep good camping or not. Will some folks please let me know so I can plan on a motel or tent. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bmwghostrider View Post
    I would like to know if the nights will cool off or not? I am not use to the humidity so I am not sure if I would sleep good camping or not. Will some folks please let me know so I can plan on a motel or tent. Thanks!
    here is the historical information for the area.

temps average in the low-to-mid 60s at night... very nice. humidity does exist.

there is not a ton of shade at the location, if you have a parawing or other type of shade device, it's worth bringing.

ian

Quote Originally Posted by bmwghostrider View Post
    I was born in this area 60 years ago and it is most unusual to have a warm night. It was 46 degrees when I got up this morning (60 miles away). The weather around here is moderate the year round. That is why halfbacks are buying property around here (halfbacks are people that moved from the north to Florida, didn't like the storms/weather/high insurance/ethnic mix, etc and moved halfway back). Natural disasters are very rare with flooding the main one (but if you live on one of our thousands of hills, that is not a problem)

Ken