Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming Speeding Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    While I respect those who gladly avail themselves of the first option, frankly it frightens me that many of those same folks feel there is some moral high ground that prevents opting for the second option, an option that is codified in and guaranteed by the very same set of laws.
    I've run with the traffic at well over the limit and have done triple digits in the open spaces, but generally I ride close to the limit because I have a low hassle tolerance. (One reason I live in small-town Wyoming.) I pay my tickets for the same reason, but I have no problem with those who work within the system to lessen the impact.

I don't think the moral divide is between the payers and the fighters but between those who accept their lumps and those who are indignant that - this time - they got caught.

As for Massachusetts (see tommcgee), the vehicle insurance system is a nightmare. In Mass it's not so much working the system but working to protect yourself from the system.

From MARS
    My two more cents;

I live in the middle of nowhere. The towns around here are really small. There isn't a lot of traffic on the local roads. Some of my neighbors, though few they may be, don't always look before pulling out. Nobody is ever coming, right? This is especially true in the small towns.

When I ride or drive around here, I take into consideration the known to me danger points. For instance, there is this farm situated right at the exist of a curve. His hay barn is on one side of the road, and the cattle pens on the other. I can't count the number of times I've come around that curve to find the road blocked by a big ol' tractor with a round bale of hay stuck on the front of it. So, I always slow down when entering that curve. And then there is the creek bottom were 7 out of 10 times I'll have some form of wildlife cross the road. There are other known dangers on my ride to the main road, and I prepare for the worst before getting to them.

The small towns out in the sticks will probably have a lot of older folks driving around. I volunteer at the senior center here, and I know we have people drive to the center for lunch that probably won't see you coming, even if you have everything flashing. They're like horses that have followed the same path for years; they can do it blindfolded. And in some cases, that would be an improvement.

That's why, when I come close to civilization out in the boonies, I pull it back to the speed limit or slightly below. Call me cheap or a coward, but speeding through small towns isn't something I would recommend doing.

Now, out in the open spaces? Well, all I'll say is that I ride one of those incredibly stable at high speed K1200RS's. I have met the patrolman out of Alliance, NE. (Last year.) And, I have contributed (gladly, considering what it could have been) to the local treasury. So, I understand the "need for speed" at times, but we have to remember, the locals are likely to be in there own world as they go about their day, and we're not part of their routine. Be careful.

Tom
    Last edited by thomasseigler; 07-29-2008 at 01:40 AM.

While I can't advise NYRTGRL one way or the other about fighting the ticket, the last ticket I received I did hire an attorney. I was willing to pay the fine to the city/county or what ever; I just didnÔÇÖt want to pay for the ticket for years to come on my insurance. As far as the cops are concerned they are by far the most hypocritical group of people I have ever known. They practice something called Selective Law Enforcement. If its one of their own speeding, do you think theyÔÇÖll get a ticket? ItÔÇÖs very rare that a cop will apply the law equally to all people regardless of their profession.

Richo

Rob Mayes

Common Sense

Why would you pay a lawyer's fee to save a few bucks on the fine and maybe insurance rates?

Unless you already have a bad record, one ticket won't make much of a difference.

Rob Mayes
    A BMWMOA member rode his brand new BMW R1200RT out of the dealership. Taking off down the road, he cranked it to 80 mph, enjoying the wind blowing through what little hair he had left.

'Amazing,' he thought as he flew down I-90, cranking the grip even more up to 100 mph.

Looking in his rear view mirrors, he saw a state trooper on a HD behind him, lights flashing and siren blaring.

He took it to 110 mph, then 115, then 120. Suddenly he thought, 'What am I doing? I'm too old for this,' and pulled over to await the trooper' arrival.

Pulling in behind him, the trooper walked up to the cycle, looked at his watch and said, 'Sir, my shift ends in 10 minutes. Today is Friday. If you can give me a reason for speeding that I've never heard before, I'll might let you go.'

The old gentleman paused. Then said, 'Years ago, my wife rode off with a State Trooper on a Harley. I thought you might be him bringing her back.'

'Have a good day, sir,' replied the trooper as he mounted his HD.

Smile

Thanks for all of the spirited discussion and sound advice! I am most relieved to report I checked with NYSDMV and this speeding ticket will NOT add any points to my license. The fine is going to be paid and this can all be put behind me. I was never trying to avoid my responsibility to pay the fine - my major concern was racking up six points. The ticket was for 94 in a 65. The fine was doubled to $230 because of a road work zone - all fifty miles or so was designated this way according to the trooper, there was no road work in or around the area I was in so don't be too quick to draw conclusions!

Thanks again and hope to meet you all some time down the road!

mrich12000
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM2096 View Post
    Why would you pay a lawyer's fee to save a few bucks on the fine and maybe insurance rates?

Unless you already have a bad record, one ticket won't make much of a difference.

Rabit

Quote Originally Posted by mrich12000 View Post
    Rabit
    Maybe you have an extra $300.00 laying around that you want to give to support some poor esquire and his family? Idunno? I sure as hell wouldnt!!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM2096 View Post

Because, in California and Washington -- where I have lived and have experience about it -- you could pay a lot more than $300 in increased insurance over 3 years. Also, if you can conceivably save the points this time, it might be an advantage when you can't the next time.

I got home last night from the national and the Top of the Rockies rally, with just over 5,000 miles over two weeks of travel. Had a great time at both!

My closest call was 60 miles from home on one of the bay area freeways where a few CHP motor officers were having a field day picking off speeders (everyone, and I mean everyone, on that freeway was going at least 10 over). I managed to both see them and slow down enough without being run over...
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar

Exclamation Check This Site Out!

Key Facts

ÔÇó Half of the 42,000 crash-related fatalities in the United States each year occur on two-lane rural roads.
    ÔÇó Sixty-two percent of all alcohol-related fatalities involving passenger vehicles occur on rural roads.
    ÔÇó Crash victims are five to seven times more likely to die if arrival to a hospital exceeds 30 minutes. The average time between a crash and hospital arrival is 52 minutes in rural areas.

http://www.saferoadmaps.org/home/index.htm

Safe Road Maps is a GIS-based (Geographic Information System) Mashup to communicate public health issues related to rural and urban road transportation safety through a publicly accessible website. This GIS integrates a range of spatial data regarding motor vehicle crashes, transportation policy legislation, and driver behavioral data. It is anticipated that this GIS will help raise awareness and change fundamental perceptions regarding the magnitude, risk factors, and impacts of motor vehicle crashes.

The Center for Excellence in Rural Safety (CERS) facilitates citizen-centered research, training, and outreach activities related to rural transportation safety. The CenterÔÇÖs research activities explore policy, behavior, and technology innovations through projects addressing safety conscious planning, ITS and rural emergency response, integrated policy approaches, and related human factors, societal trends, and stakeholder needs analysis.
    Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs State and Local Policy Program and the Center for Transportation Studies, and sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration. Congress created the Center for Excellence in Rural Safety in July 2005 as part of a broader, multiyear, multimillion-dollar directive establishing four national centers for surface transportation excellence in the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) transportation funding legislation.

Pretty Interesting Site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by grafikfeat; 07-29-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added Screen Image
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

2002redrider

tickets

Well Rod, it does appear that we have different thoughts on this issue. Nothing wrong with that is there? I guess that's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream and more than one brand or style of motorcycle.

I don't have a bad driving record as someone suggested. I am a conservative old guy like many of us but it is hard not to let the big dog eat sometimes. My last speeding ticket was in 2004 but I feel that they can come in bunches and while it is easy to make the first one go away, the second or third in a short period will be much more difficult and costly if you haven't taken care of the first one.

If the points don't follow you to your home state or drivers record as was pointed out by the poster who started this thread, then I wouldn't bother with it. Because it is the points and increased insurance rates that are at the heart of my position, plain and simple.

On a related topic, I was heading out of Moorcroft about 8:00AM going to Devil's Tower and running mid to high 70's (actual GPS speed) in a 65 zone with light traffic. The road was mainly long sweepers and hills so I was easing off a bit when cresting a hill or taking a corner. A black Camero had passed me and I was staying about 1/4 mile back and using him as a "rabbitt." He crested a hill and my Valentine 1 went full tilt boogie so I slowed down to under 65. When I topped the hill there was a county boy with lights blazing waiting for the next guy. When he measured me at the limit or under, he made a U turn in front of me, which could have been another, more serious issue and nailed the Camero. He could have written thousands of dollars of tickets every day during the rally. Nice revenue stream for that little jerk water county.

grumpyone

"watch Out For Dad"

Well I cant tell anyone anything about tickets and the law but I can say one thing if you are riding a motorcycle, hell even driving a semi truck, "WATCH OUT FOR DAD" There are lots of them out there this is just one case "mine" but we see lots of them everywhere. "and MOMS are worse"
    Since the rally in Colorado our home state just after we got back from Gillette I figure this is a worthwhile and very very true story ; One that could be facing any of us anywhere any time.
    When your crusin down a nice highway and you see "DAD" parked on the side to enter the road and he makes eye contact with you and you sigh and start to crank it on again. "DONT" !! He just might take that big pick up truck and his big boat behind him right out in front of you and make his left turn. Closing of all your escape routes and maybe ending everything.
    You see we were harping at "DAD" for years to ware his glasses and he says til this day HE DONT NEED THEM ! Ok were stopping by "DADS" one day and in his recliner waring his glasses is a real welcome site. Wife ask DAD see your finally waring you glasses? Thats Great! Had to he said : I was watching the TV there (very large screen) and I could not tell if it was Bull Riding or Wrestling I was watching . SOOO you see we have never seen "DAD" ware his glasses again and he drives a big pick up truck and pulls a big boat twice a week to the lake. In Colorado.
    Our only point is "NEVER NEVER " assume he sees you! Be very careful til he is in your rear view going the other way
    I had a lady at an intersection I had the ROW and she was stopped at her stop sign ; Waved at me "how nice" then pulled out in front of me .
    We ride fast too sometimes but only when were 1000% sure were alone and DAD is not around ANYWHERE !
    POINT; Ride how you want , live how you like, but be careful as you can and prepared to pay the price for your actions.
    PS Be extra careful in COLORADO ; Were movin to Texas.
    Thanks for a great forum
    Jim and Esther

Plays with guns for a livin

eljeffe
    When leaving an event in Jackson Hole a few years ago, our group was pulled over and ticketed by a Wyoming State Trooper. We all made various inquiries, and unlike many states, there doesn't seem to be an easy "get out of a ticket" avenues available to the unlucky driver. Make sure you pay it within the period, because Wyoming does report unpaid or late pay tickets. The Wyoming ticket that I got was paid before the due date, and never showed up on my Texas driving record.

I will fight every speeding ticket I get. I will file appeals on any cases I lose. If I am speeding it is because I can and it is safe to do so. There is a straight highway, no traffic, no cross streets or intersections and just me and my RT. Speeding in and of itself is not dangerous. The interstate highway system (in Oregon anyway) was designed in the fifties and sixties to permit safe travel at speeds of over one hundred miles per hour. That was the plan then, before the city and county counsels learned about ticket revenue. I ride to work daily and it is a rare day I don't break through the triple digit zone on my speedometer. I have had only one ticket in sixteen years and I went to court on five different occasions to beat it finally. The Officer who wrote the ticket collared me after the last court case and asked what the heck was wrong with me? He wanted to know why on earth I'd spend that kind of time and money to beat his lousy ticket. I asked him if he'd be inclined to write me another or give me a warning next time we crossed paths and he admitted it wasn't worth his time to write me. I then asked "any more questions?"

Talking

Here's a point of view to chew on.

As a veteran LEO, I and many fellow officers / troopers / deputies that I knew compared notes once and the two most prominent excuses offered for speeding were:

"But officer - what about those other drivers? They were speeding too!"

and

"But officer - I was only keeping up with traffic!"

From time to time, we are challenged by motorists we detain as to why we even have the 'discretion' to warn some, while others are cited.

Let me offer these comments:

Excuse # 1 has no merit. In fact, we document it on the back of the ticket as an admission of guilt. It is simply rationalization to get out of personal responsibility - got caught, but don't want to suffer the consequences. An LEO can only stop one motorist at a time, so "Today is your day - tomorrow, maybe the Camaro." Whom I stopped had more to do with my ability to pursue, get noticed and safely get to the side of the road, than the usual accusations of profiling or discrimination or favoritism, or revenue, etc.

You do realize that none of those other speeders are going to rendezvous with you later at the Park & Ride and pool their money to pay for your ticket, so why would you 'throw in with them,' and choose to speed?! Hellooooo.

Excuse # 2 is better suited to understand the nature of discretion. Anyone trying to negotiate the Illinois TriState around Chicago on a motorcycle had BETTER be keeping up with traffic flow or you're going to get clobbered. In all my years, I've yet to see anyone other than a reckless biker get pulled over.

However, 'change the rules and you change the game.' At any given moment between Gillette, WY and say, Rochester, MN, as I rode home from the Rally, there were no more than 5 - 9 cars in sight. That's not exactly a 'flow of traffic,' and any speeding along that stretch would have been my personal responsibility, and consequences shamefully accepted.

As for the "I'll speed every chance I get," "I don't believe in seatbelts," "I never wear a helmet," "A couple of drinks won't matter" crowd?

I learned not to get too worried about them - Darwin will thin the gene pool over time.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 07-30-2008 at 10:13 PM.