Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Must see in TN

BMWBAGBY

Lightbulb Must see in TN

Ok... we're starting to plan the trip to the 2009 rally in TN. Having never been to the TN area, what are the must see / must do places? We'll be coming "from the west" but the route is fairly open right now. Tourist attractions, places to eat,...

Thanks in advance!

Thumbs up

...and hotels in the area.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Smile

If you're coming in from the west, once you reach the TN / NC area, you might consider making time for HWY 129, and ride "The Tail of The Dragon" in both north and south directions. It is quite the challenge to one's riding ability and not to be missed.

There is also the Cherohala Skyway, the Foothills Parkway and other local routes that I have ridden in the Smokies that are beautiful and definitely a pleasure on two wheels. Maggie Valley is nearby and I have enjoyed riding to it.

If you have time, spend some of it in Gatlinburg, with a vibrant main street, the Aquarium of The Smokies, and a gondola to the top of a nearby mountain, which loads / unloads right from the downtown, near the aquarium.

Pigeon Forge is a bit too commercialized for me (reminds me of Branson) but has everything to offer, if you're in the mood. Then make your way to the Blue Ridge Parkway for your journey east, and eventually Johnson City.

Ashville, NC is on the way, with quaint buildings and 'old South' manners, and makes a nice stop.

There are actually many more points of interest, but I hope this 'sampling' from my travels in the region helps. The locals can provide even greater detail and highlights.

Enjoy your travels and see you at the Rally!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    If you're coming in from the west, once you reach the TN / NC area, you might consider making time for HWY 129, and ride "The Tail of The Dragon" in both north and south directions. It is quite the challenge to one's riding ability and not to be missed.

There is also the Cherohala Skyway, the Foothills Parkway and other local routes that I have ridden in the Smokies that are beautiful and definitely a pleasure on two wheels. Maggie Valley is nearby and I have enjoyed riding to it.

If you have time, spend some of it in Gatlinburg, with a vibrant main street, the Aquarium of The Smokies, and a gondola to the top of a nearby mountain, which loads / unloads right from the downtown, near the aquarium.

Pigeon Forge is a bit too commercialized for me (reminds me of Branson) but has everything to offer, if you're in the mood. Then make your way to the Blue Ridge Parkway for your journey east, and eventually Johnson City.

Ashville, NC is on the way, with quaint buildings and 'old South' manners, and makes a nice stop.

There are actually many more points of interest, but I hope this 'sampling' from my travels in the region helps. The locals can provide even greater detail and highlights.

Enjoy your travels and see you at the Rally!
    There are some better choices and most are closer. Surrounded by many of the best motorcycle roads in the country and within a couple of hours of the Rally is Breaks Interstate Park http://www.breakspark.com/. The Biltmore in Asheville, NC is a must see and the 59 miles of I-26 is a great motorcycle interstate highway. I agree with the Blue Ridge Parkway but I would ride it toward Asheville so you can ride the Viaduct and climb Mount Mitchell. I wouldn't miss riding Rt 421 through Shady Valley, TN http://www.shadyvalleycountrystore.com/

You can experience a great 32 mile ride over 3 mountains from Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, VA to Tazewell, VA
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    There are some better choices and most are closer. Surrounded by many of the best motorcycle roads in the country and within a couple of hours of the Rally is Breaks Interstate Park http://www.breakspark.com/. The Biltmore in Asheville, NC is a must see and the 59 miles of I-26 is a great motorcycle interstate highway. I agree with the Blue Ridge Parkway but I would ride it toward Asheville so you can ride the Viaduct and climb Mount Mitchell. I wouldn't miss riding Rt 421 through Shady Valley, TN http://www.shadyvalleycountrystore.com/

You can experience a great 32 mile ride over 3 mountains from Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, VA to Tazewell, VA
    Ahh, the wisdom of the 'locals' that I referred to!

Thanks for sharing. My 'point of reference' can only be the areas I have visited several times within the last three years.

Those of you who enjoy this area as your 'backyard' are in a much better position to suggest routes, layovers, POI's, etc.

Looking forward to a return visit - keep the intel flowing about what we all should be looking for in your neck of the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Ahh, the wisdom of the 'locals' that I referred to!

Thanks for sharing. My 'point of reference' can only be the areas I have visited several times within the last three years.

Those of you who enjoy this area as your 'backyard' are in a much better position to suggest routes, layovers, POI's, etc.

Looking forward to a return visit - keep the intel flowing about what we all should be looking for in your neck of the woods!
    The Chromeheads had a rally at Breaks Interstate Park last weekend and people were blown away by the riding. How often can you take a ride of under 225 miles and over 200 of them be challenging mountain roads with little traffic, no law enforcement in evidence and good roads? These roads are within a couple of hours of the 2009 MOA Rally location.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

scqtt
    Three stars in the TN flag, Three wildy different states.

Nothing worth seeing until you get east of Nashville.

I 40 is a semi clogged, sewer of a road between Russellville AR and Nashville. There are also an extreme number of people driving 100 MPH in the left lane and throwing chicken bones out of the sunroofs of Escalades.

If I were coming from the west I would zig zag the AR/MO border, then visit Grass Roots in Cape Girardeau MO, cross the MISSISSIPPI on the new bridge in Cape and go east through KY.

If you can, take a detour south to Birmingham and check out the Barber Motorsports Museum.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

BMWBAGBY

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks - these are some great ideas! Keep 'em coming!!!

Oh, what about the "and you have to eat at..." places? (not the "chains" but the places the "locals" go to)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWBagby View Post
    Ok... we're starting to plan the trip to the 2009 rally in TN. Having never been to the TN area, what are the must see / must do places? We'll be coming "from the west" but the route is fairly open right now. Tourist attractions, places to eat,...

Thanks in advance!
    Don't miss this http://ludden.com/SandP/ in Gatlinburg
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 86k miles
    2013 TW200

i'd highly recommend breakfast, lunch, dinner and an overnight stay at the mt. pisgah inn, just west of asheville, nc, on the blue ridge parkway.

this would be an excellent pre-rally stayover, and i'll gladly provide an all-twisty way from this point to the rally.

another good choice for campers... blue ridge motorcycle campground.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    There are some better choices and most are closer.

I was wondering if you were going to keep VA 16 a secret!
    And how about VA 80 between Elk Garden and Meadowview?
    And US 58 between Volney and Damascus?
    And NC 226 down (or up) the mountain?
    And NC 181 uphill from Morganton?
    And.....
    And.....
    And.....

EyeBiker

Twisty Roads near Grey

+1 on the Osborn & Hillman suggestions.

I would also include 160 in eastern KY across Black Mountain(highest in KY) and into VA at Appalachia,VA, only about 45-60 min from Grey, TN.

Someone mentioned Pardners BBQ near Grey, but seriously consider Ridgewood BBQ in Bluff City, TN. Much better IMHO, and only a few miles from Pardners.

Calvin Miller

Quote Originally Posted by calmil View Post
    Someone mentioned Pardners BBQ near Grey, but seriously consider Ridgewood BBQ in Bluff City, TN. Much better IMHO, and only a few miles from Pardners.Calvin Miller
    I totally agree but Ridgewood BBQ has people lined up out the door when nothing special is going on. I suggested Partners because they will have room for some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
    I was wondering if you were going to keep VA 16 a secret!
    And how about VA 80 between Elk Garden and Meadowview?
    And US 58 between Volney and Damascus?
    That's the problem where I live. If I don't get on I-81 or Rt 11, I can't ride on a road that is not really good.

When you ride Rt 58 from Volney to Damascus, it's hard to not turn off at the Whitetop Post office and ride Rt 600 to Konnarock and then ride up through Fairwood to Troutdale and then follow Rt 16 back to Marion and then over to Tazewell, etc. The hard decisions never end when I take a ride.