Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bifocal sunglasses

Rally Rat

Bifocal sunglasses

Several times on the ride back from Gillette I had a very uncomfortable experience riding eastbound mid-morning due to sunlight in my eyes
    Need to wear my glasses to read GPS or Map, and have been looking at some of the cheap sunglasses with what appears to be a small magnifying insert
    Any experience with these ?
    Thanks

Hey Jim! Our neighbour (on the other side) in the Sherpa Village told Dave about stick-on bifocals. He picked up a set at Wal-Mart down in Gillette for about $8, and put them in his sunglasses. They worked very well, so we're going to look for a couple more sets up here. They should be available where the drug store reading glasses are found.

Cheryl

I have prescription sunglasses that are multi-focal rather than bi-focal. The prescription changes smoothly as you move down the lens rather than the abrupt change you get from bi-focals. They're available almost anywhere that dispenses prescription glasses but they're not cheap; about $300 US.

Canadian Rockies Rider
    My wife uses bifocal sunglasses that she purchased, over the counter, at one of the US big box stores. She says that they are great!
    Where to ride today? Mountains or Prairies? Prairies or mountains or.........
    2004 R1150 RT, 85 GPZ900, 74 H1E MACHIII

My experience is different from Charlie_K's. I tried riding with progressive lenses in my sunglasses, but found the change in focal length as I looked from left to right, or up and down, disturbing and disorienting. I went back to bifocal sunglasses which work very well for me. I had them ground so that the "near" segments at the bottom of the lenses are smaller than normal: they permit me to see the instruments clearly, but with my head in its normal alignment, everything above the instruments is seen through the "distance" upper part of the lens.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

cmartin

Tri focal

my sunglasses are progressive tri focal and I have never had a problem with them.

The are very expensive $300.00, but worth it.

7. 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM

glennhendricks

If all you need are readers.

Go to this link and you can get some for less than $20 delivered.http://www.labsafety.com/search/olympic/+-132494/33033/ ANSI rated safety glasses. Great for yard work, chain saws and riding. Come in brown tint.

ray82609
    I got a pair of bifocal sunglasses at Bob's BMW at the MOA rally for $15
    -Ray

I like the idea of the Wal Mart stick on bifocals. I am gonna give them a look. I think they might work real well on a selected spot on my face shield when wearing my full face helmetso I do not have to wear glasses when wearing it. Might not work, but at least I will not have lost too much.
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

11. 07-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Came up with this solution a few years ago....works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Dude ... that's brilliant!
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

I had my optician tint my old bifocal glasses when I got a new pair. It was about $30.00.

Cool

I use Transition, "progressive" ground lens for riding and bifocals for long range rifle silhouette. My shooting bifocals have a yellow tint and are excellant when riding at night. Buy what you are comfortable with and Ride Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    Hey Jim! Our neighbour (on the other side) in the Sherpa Village told Dave about stick-on bifocals. He picked up a set at Wal-Mart down in Gillette for about $8, and put them in his sunglasses. They worked very well, so we're going to look for a couple more sets up here. They should be available where the drug store reading glasses are found.

Cheryl
    I used these stick-ons for ten or more years, until I finally got to the point where I needed progressives, and had a pair of sunglasses made. You want to find Optx 20/20 (yes, that's the correct spelling) lenses. Go to your local drug store and try on regular reading glasses to determine the correct strength, then order them if you can't find them locally. I regularly lost one every few months, and got in the habit of using just one on my regular sunglasses. Worked fine for reading the instruments, and halved my replacement costs.

You can trim the lenses with scissors to fit any size sunglass lens.

Google "Optx 20/20" and you'll find lots of places to order them.