Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: ATGATT vs. STGSTT

  1. #31
    glennhendricks
    Guest

    Occasionally jeans

    Occasionally I'll just wear jeans instead of my riding pants. That's as far as I'll go.

    Helmet, armor jacket, gloves, boots. All the time. Jeans for the occasional run to the store or out and about.

    Rest of the time I do the whole schmear.

  2. #32
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by glennhendricks View Post
    Occasionally I'll just wear jeans instead of my riding pants. That's as far as I'll go.

    Helmet, armor jacket, gloves, boots. All the time. Jeans for the occasional run to the store or out and about.

    Rest of the time I do the whole schmear.
    After seeing what happens at a lowly 20mph, I can't think of a situation that doesn't warrrant the whole deal. If I'd been wearing nothing but a helmet when I got knocked down last year, I'd probably still be picking scabs.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  3. #33
    looking for a coal mine knary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    5,878
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    After seeing what happens at a lowly 20mph, I can't think of a situation that doesn't warrrant the whole deal. If I'd been wearing nothing but a helmet when I got knocked down last year, I'd probably still be picking scabs.
    Grocery store, 1 mile away, speed limit 30 mph, straight road. The same road I ride at nearly the same speed on the bicycle in far less gear.

  4. #34
    univers zero tessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,999
    Even though I'm impressed by and tempted to emulate all the BMW GS riders who patrol our streets in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers every summer, I still wear the mesh jacket, gloves and boots when I roll.

    Gotta admit though that unless I'm headed out of town and have to traverse highways, I usually wear jeans (or arborwear jeans).

  5. #35
    A wandering Bird Vagabird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Laramie WY
    Posts
    465
    I'm ATGATT, including a one-piece Roadcrafter in triple digits. I figure it keeps the sun and oven wind off me. I've heard the "isn't that hot?" many times, to which I usually reply "only when I stop." I will ride just jacket, helmet, boots, gloves to the coffee shop in town sometimes (1 mile - it's a small town).

    My problem has been that I usually wear jeans tucked into my boots. They get HOT above 95. I've thought about just a jacket but am reluctant since I read someone write Would you drop to your knees in a parking lot in just your jeans? (no) Also, taking the one-piece plus a jacket makes for too much bulk on a trip. I'm considering lighter-weight cotton pants or just LD shorts under the one-piece. I'm leaving for Oklahoma and Arkansas this Friday, so I guess I'll find out. Any ideas?

  6. #36
    Registered User mistercindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N. Dallas 'burb
    Posts
    778
    I'm hardly ever ATGATT, particularly in summer. But, since the most often injured portions of a motorcyclist's body are the extremities (ie., head, hands, and feet), I always wear:
    • Full face helmet.
    • Motorcycle specific boots.
    • Motorcycle specific gloves.
    • Earplugs (BTW, if you aren't wearing earplugs, then you aren't ATGATT).

    Regardless of the season, when I commute to work I wear the khakis, slacks, or jeans that I wear at work.

    If I'm on a day trip during the hot summer you'll see me in motorcycle specific mesh textile pants and a t-shirt. On cooler days I'll wear a jacket and, whuddya know, I'm ATGATT.

    During our hot Texas summers I'm usually in a short sleeved shirt. Frankly, the heat is so intense that anything draped over my shoulders is too much for me unless I'm moving 50+ MPH. If I had to wear a jacket in those temperatures then I'd rather not ride. I know I'm taking a risk. And, yes, I've gone down on pavement and rocks and had a lot of skin torn off. Not pleasant, I know.





    Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    Recently it's been pretty hot/humid here and I've been disappointed to see someone on the opposite side of the highway on an airhead (blue with white RT fairing) wearing a helmet as the only protective gear that I can make out. Otherwise it's just a t-shirt and pants. I'm not sure why an unprotected BMW rider bothers me more. I had seen a guy on a black Airhead several years ago riding around town with no helmet on. He also never waved. haven't seen him in a long time.

    I would jump in and warn them, but most of them are not the type of riders I want to be involved with.
    I mean no offense, but that has the sound of a BMW snob. As you can see from my post above, I'm "the type of rider" you don't "want to be involved with." Personally, I don't want to be involved with riders who end sentences in prepositions.





    Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    Even though I'm impressed by and tempted to emulate all the BMW GS riders who patrol our streets in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers every summer, I still wear the mesh jacket, gloves and boots when I roll.
    I can honestly say that I have never seen a BMW rider, not just a GS rider, dressed in shorts. I've seen it on lots of other bikes, but never on a BMW. I've seen plenty of BMW riders in jeans and t-shirts (myself included), and very rarely in sneakers (usually on LTs, I've noticed). But I can't recall ever seeing a BMW rider wearing shorts.
    Last edited by mistercindy; 07-30-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mississippi Coast
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
    JD No offense, but you are one of the reasons I hate being a BMW rider and rather consider myself a motorcyclist.

    You were "disappointed" at someone's lack of gear.

    "Not the type of riders you want to be involved with"

    "I need to catch up with him and say hi" The AGATT guy is the only person worthy of your aknowledgement?

    I ride AGATT, and being an Ohioan I make it back there quite frequently. Please do me a favor and don't say hello and wave to me. There is only one type of rider I do not like, the one who thinks the choices they make put them above everyone else.
    I was reading the post you are referring to and was thinking the exact same thing. I do not care how much gear you wear, only that you enjoy riding, that is what we have in common. If you ride like an idiot and put my safety at risk, then no thanks. The choices that you make are your own business and as long as they do not affect me or my safety, then we are OK. I gear up to suit the ride and the conditions I will be riding in. If it is not good enough for someone then that is too bad, I will offer no apologies.
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

  8. #38
    univers zero tessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,999
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    I can honestly say that I have never seen a BMW rider, not just a GS rider, dressed in shorts. I've seen it on lots of other bikes, but never on a BMW. I've seen plenty of BMW riders in jeans and t-shirts (myself included), and very rarely in sneakers (usually on LTs, I've noticed). But I can't recall ever seeing a BMW rider wearing shorts.
    Well, Grant, this is New York and (almost) anything goes

    I posted a mention a few summers ago about riding alongside of a fellow on a R1200C wearing shorts and flip flops. A recent "shorts sighting" occurred just a few days ago: a guy on an 1150GS... And there's a very dapper rider I've seen around town: bespoke Saville Row suits, great taste in ties, who wears a three-quarter helmet and fine Italian shoes on his K1200GT. This guy has such nice clothes he makes the bike look dull!

    To each his own, I guess. I think we all wear whats most sensible to us when we set out. The point is that we ride and enjoy riding.

  9. #39
    Registered User mistercindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N. Dallas 'burb
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    And there's a very dapper rider I've seen around town: bespoke Saville Row suits, great taste in ties, who wears a three-quarter helmet and fine Italian shoes on his K1200GT.
    I've never worn a suit on a motorcycle. You'll occasionally see me in nice slacks, a dress shirt, and a tie (I keep a couple sport jackets at the office), but I'll always be wearing motorcycle specific boots. I keep a pair of plain black dress boots at the office in case I have to go to court or a meeting. If I have to wear a suit I just take the car. I just can't make myself expose a suit to road grime and bug guts! Particularly something as pricey as a Saville Row suit!

    But who knows? If its good enough for this guy, then....

    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

  10. #40
    Ninja Hippie smammon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Casper, WY
    Posts
    13
    A few years ago - on a particularly hot day I jumped on the bike with just helmet and gloves as protection. On the way home in mid drive time traffic I found out just how much protection dockers and a polo shirt offer at about 10mph. While I was picking scabs I read an article somewhere that said most bike accidents happen under 20mph and less than 2mi from home...

    ...Now, with the exception of armor pants on hot days - I wear everything - every day. Keep a spare pair of shoes at the office. Even though I only live 4 miles from work it's all through town. If I'm in too big a hurry to put on the gear - Like going to the "corner" store - I just take the cage.

    Like the poster says - "Stupid Hurts".

  11. #41
    Hogaan! testinglogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    I mean no offense, but that has the sound of a BMW snob. As you can see from my post above, I'm "the type of rider" you don't "want to be involved with." Personally, I don't want to be involved with riders who end sentences in prepositions.
    You say "no offense" but then decide to make snobbish comments about my forum post ending a sentence with a preposition? That is the sort of thing I will not put up with!!! I mean... That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!

    Honestly, not ending a sentence with a preposition isn't an actual "rule". Look it up. There are lots of examples of why it doesn't work. That "rule" was due to someone a LONG time ago (18th or 19th century) mentioning that having a long sentence with a preposition at the end (far away from it's verb) can be confusing to a reader, so "watch out for that". It was never a rule, but some people took it as such and now here we are, with people snobbishly trying to correct everyone else.

    Anyhow, back to the topic at hand:

    I already explained my original statement several posts back, so I won't do it again. Go back and re-read my previous post on this issue. Of course, I know it's more fun to take comments out of context. So be it.

    I still say everyone should wear their gear to protect themselves and to avoid horribly painful debridement, but to each their own. They have the right to ride in t-shirts and shorts and I have the right to not want to ride with them.

  12. #42
    rocketman
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    You say "no offense" but then decide to make snobbish comments about my forum post ending a sentence with a preposition? That is the sort of thing I will not put up with!!! I mean... That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!

    Honestly, not ending a sentence with a preposition isn't an actual "rule". Look it up. There are lots of examples of why it doesn't work. That "rule" was due to someone a LONG time ago (18th or 19th century) mentioning that having a long sentence with a preposition at the end (far away from it's verb) can be confusing to a reader, so "watch out for that". It was never a rule, but some people took it as such and now here we are, with people snobbishly trying to correct everyone else.

    Anyhow, back to the topic at hand:

    I already explained my original statement several posts back, so I won't do it again. Go back and re-read my previous post on this issue. Of course, I know it's more fun to take comments out of context. So be it.

    I still say everyone should wear their gear to protect themselves and to avoid horribly painful debridement, but to each their own. They have the right to ride in t-shirts and shorts and I have the right to not want to ride with them.
    perhaps he was mearly "prepositioning" you! Ha Ha!

    (I know, I know, really, really bad pun...but I just couldn't contain myself.....)

    RM

  13. #43
    Hogaan! testinglogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    perhaps he was mearly "prepositioning" you! Ha Ha!

    (I know, I know, really, really bad pun...but I just couldn't contain myself.....)

    RM


    Nice!

  14. #44
    Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by glennhendricks View Post
    Occasionally I'll just wear jeans instead of my riding pants. That's as far as I'll go.

    Helmet, armor jacket, gloves, boots. All the time. Jeans for the occasional run to the store or out and about.

    Rest of the time I do the whole schmear.
    I'm in this category.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

  15. #45
    floppp
    Guest
    I do MOTGMOTT - most of the gear, most of the time.

    Basically if I am around town, errands, work, etc. it is gloves, helmet, jeans, boots and jacket. My theory is that in-town speeds are lower and the slide factor is less due to the slower speeds.

    Out of town, touring or anything above 40mph it is all of the above plus riding pants.

    Riding back from the rallies there was a full up Wing going the other way. The guy was only wearing a bathing suit. Come to think of it, when he waved his pit hair matched his bathing suit. Hmmm - thankfully it was just a fleeting, flashing glance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •