Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ATGATT vs. STGSTT

Good gear comes in several types, and the key to both comfort and protection is the right gear for the right weather.

Good mesh, and good venting, and fairly light cordura/kevlar combinations with CE armor is available. As are lined and warmer for cool weather. And electrics for cold weather. And evaporative vests for really hot.

So the old "it's too hot to wear gear" is mostly just an excuse for laxness or penny wise and pound foolish.

The worst is black T shirts! Or black tank tops.

The Bedouins in the Sahara don't wear black T shirts or tank tops. Full coverage, light, and loose - is cooler.

It was 105 in southern British Columbia on our way to Gillette from Alaska. I had on First Gear mesh pants, my Aerostich Roadcrafter Jacket, and an ORI cool vest. Not cold but not too bad.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

mrich12000
    Caution some Nasty language

I always wear good gear when I ride. This poor fool didn't.

Okay, anyone can decide what they wear or don't. Live or die by your decisions. I'll only care when my insurance/medical premiums go up because of other folks accidents, or when I have to endure another insufferable "my friend knows a person who rode a bike and their head came off" and the laws get changed due to statistical evidence that proves "incontravertably" that bike riders are all gits with the IQ of pond life.

What I've noticed however is, that the sunshine we've had recently has brought out the "proud dad brigade". They bedeck little jr (on the back of whatever brand you wish to name, I've seen a broad spectrum in the last 4 weeks) in a helmet that's little better than a plastic potty and that's it.
    Some may have laid out for a leather branded vest.
    Their supposedly "loved ones" are thrown on too, equally inadequately attired for any road - body interfacing action, or debris thrown up, gravel sprayed, insect contact. Or even worse, the woman in the halter top with the fat back, where it looked like two pink turkey fillets trying to escape from under the armpits, by rippling to safety, that I had to follow, without gagging in my helmet.

I suppose they have the choice to say no, but who is going to argue with Dad, especially as kids love bikes.

Yet question these people (I have) and "I'd die for my kids/family/dog/gerbil/fat backed wife...whatever".
    "They mean more to me than my own life man".
    It's a paradox and I don't understand the contradictions that come from it.

Get it right most of the time and it works out splendidly. Get it wrong, or even more likely, someone else get it wrong, just and only once and then live with your kid/wife in a special care unit, wiping dribble from their orafices, or in a box or urn.
    I can't rationalize that with putting on a jacket and gloves and perhaps sweating some.
    How does it add up as being a reasonable trade off?

Sure, on your own, where it your own worthless carcass that's at risk...but, but, but...

Even if you decide to ride stark-bollock-naked, I implore you to ask your passengers to ride atgatt.

Because, if you cosset them, one day you may have someone to wipe the dribble from your orifices.

True story: I've siad to Mrs L that if I've ever lost the ability to wipe my own arse, then she can have me shot. You should have seen the look on her face last week when I was putting my bike gear on and the velcro on my jacket sleeves got stuck to that on the flap fasteners on my boots!
    Last edited by lamble; 07-23-2008 at 08:26 PM.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    or penny wise and pound foolish.
    one issue for me, another is a major, major lack of closet/storage space. a 500 sq ft apartment in this city can cost 500K in some hoods (think about that, 1000 dollars per square foot) and to keep the peace i have to keep the gear down some. no excuse for protecting my hide, but certain factors do get weighed in in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    one issue for me, another is a major, major lack of closet/storage space. a 500 sq ft apartment in this city can cost 500K in some hoods (think about that, 1000 dollars per square foot) and to keep the peace i have to keep the gear down some. no excuse for protecting my hide, but certain factors do get weighed in in certain situations.
    Where do you suppose the kid in that YouTube video (above) stores his gear?

Moondog
    Went down last year with no knee protection. Had jenes on, helmet, Vanson mesh jacket. Broke my leg. Now I am toying with the idea of not riding anymore ATGATT or not. I to get frustrated when I see the HD crowd with no helmet, etc. but it is not only the HD riders. I have seen the rice rocket boys with helmet and no body protection. And I have seen the occasional BMW near nude rider, shorts tank top and flip-flops. Like they say in the step programs, Let go and Let God.

Goibnui

ATTGAT s STGSTT

As a paramedic in the south central Missouri Ozarks, I work several motorcycle crashes a week during the summer months. Most of the crashes involve squids, noobs and out of towners. Most are single vehicle incidents. In most situations the injuries would have been prevented or at least minimized with proper protective gear.

I learned the importance of full gear back in the late 70's and early 80's while road racing. Although I have not gone done road riding, I have 'crashed my brains out' on the track; if you don't crash occasionally, you aren't trying. I have walked away several high speed crashes because of the protective equipment I was wearing.

I, also, do not hesitate to give the 'lecture' about full protectie gear to those in condition to listen. It is amazing how receptive people are at that time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve

Atgatt

All The Gear All The Time
    I would rather look stupid, than be stupid. (or dead, or worse crippled.)

My 2 cents.
    Annie

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    The Bedouins in the Sahara don't wear black T shirts or tank tops. Full coverage, light, and loose - is cooler.
    I wear long-sleeve shirts year-round. When I was working in Egypt, a lot of the other ex-pats wore t-shirts, polo shirts or other short-sleeve shirts. Not me. They were always hot, I never was.

I'll admit that I've been lazy the last couple of weeks, since it's been 90+ several days in a row in KC. I've been driving my truck to work instead of RT-ing it. I had ridden my '04 RT to work every day up to last Monday since I bought it on 10 June.
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

It was 105 in southern British Columbia on our way to Gillette from Alaska. I had on First Gear mesh pants, my Aerostich Roadcrafter Jacket, and an ORI cool vest. Not cold but not too bad.
    Mesh is not your friend when it's >100F. Hot wind actually contributes to heat fatigue. A good, ventilated textile jacket/pants will promote evaporative cooling better.
    Jack Pate | '09G650GS | '95 R100RT | Previously: '00R1100R, '87K75T
    NW Arkansawyer |
    BMWMOA #125430 | Fraternal Order of the Mudshark (FOM #0001)

tonkandy
    If you're wearing those jeans with the steel cloth or kevlar patches on the knees does that count as part of ATGATT? Or do they have to have
    armor? Is it ATGATT if your mesh jacket doesn't have a spine protector - only armor on the elbows and shoulders? My friend's neighbor died after he fell and hit his head on the kerb (no helmet) at the end of his driveway (leaving) - do you always wear ATGATT even if you're only riding around the block?

My guess is that some folks who say they use ATGATT actually don't.

But it's ok to ride without a helmet, riding pants, etc. at a rally, right?

ATGATT is the norm here in the bay area. Even the HD guys that make it out to the coast where the roads are twisty wear gear. HDs being piloted by guys with a full face helmet are common.

I think the weather contributes to it. With an average year round temp of about 70F, it's rarely hot enough to ride without gear.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    But it's ok to ride without a helmet, riding pants, etc. at a rally, right?
    The only time I'll ride without gear.

At this year's rally, I used the RT like a golf cart.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

bob1100rtc
    When it's cool I wear gear. When it's hot I wear a ball cap,T-shirt,jeans,tennis shoes and gloves. I do keep a helmet and rain suit in the side case incase it rains.