Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Head count for 08

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Given the attendance, weather, revenue and post-rally commentary, West Bend hardly needs defending. Sue and her crew (along with Mother Nature) did a fantastic job.

All of the WY locations you flaunt are not within 50 (and sometimes, not within hundreds) of miles of rally central. As for West Bend, you had access to the Kettle Moraine twisties and Rustic Roads well before you ventured 50 miles from the Washington Co. Fairgrounds. Thus ends the geography lesson for today.

I wear neither blinders nor rose-colored glasses. I see with a critical eye, enjoy life and feel that if improvement is needed, to speak out, as do you. Relax - I have no right to critique the TN location for '09, anymore than many of the 'faithful' declared Gillette a success the moment it was announced a year ago. I didn't think Gillette was a wise choice. Even so, I went to see for myself.

I have already ridden the Smokies many times and look forward to this location for the 37th BMW MOA Rally.

Location, Location, Location.
    At least we agree on one thing; West Bend was a fantastic Rally.

Where we differ is I ride to ride; from your comments, I get the picture you ride for destination. Wyoming was just too much state for you! My guess is you never ventured out the rallly gate, never rode the 60 miles to the bighorns, never rode the short hop to devils tower. You missed the boat! Sorry Greenwald, the few miles of twisties surrounding Westbend does not even stand on the same platform as the majestic rides you had an opportunityto ride in Wyoming! Wake up! you missed the boat!

Westbend was fantastic, but was a different rally, and had different objectives in mind in terms of its overall intrinsic value. All I am saying and what astounds me is your unwaivering belief that Wyoming was a bad rally. Give it up! both Rally's were fantastic, and I am already excited about TN!

Revenue is not the bottom line. BMWMOA Rally is not in this world to meet your monetary performance standards, but to provide a huge variety of locations/of experiences for the members to enjoy. If we were to follow your reasoning, the door of future rally locations should be shut and shut tight using the Mississippi as a boundary.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    The rally threads remind me of the oil threads.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

RIDERS
    We have only missed one Rally since 89 and always enjoy the West ones better as the East ones involve riding through a lot of traffic congestion and it is usually hotter. The West can be hot but it cools off at night, the air is fresher, the sky is bigger and the West just has the allure of Go West young man. Out West you can get on some roads and have very little traffic even if they may not be as curvey as we would like. We thought Gillette was wonderful; we stayed in a motel so the camping conditions didn't concern us. We have been through the area numerous times but enjoyed the Black Hills etc. again. We try to enjoy each year and if we had to pick between Gillette and Tennesse or West Bend or Lima we would pick Gillette but nothing happens we will be in Tennesse next year.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by riders View Post
    We have only missed one Rally since 89 and always enjoy the West ones better as the East ones involve riding through a lot of traffic congestion and it is usually hotter. The West can be hot but it cools off at night, the air is fresher, the sky is bigger and the West just has the allure of Go West young man. Out West you can get on some roads and have very little traffic even if they may not be as curvey as we would like. We thought Gillette was wonderful; we stayed in a motel so the camping conditions didn't concern us. We have been through the area numerous times but enjoyed the Black Hills etc. again. We try to enjoy each year and if we had to pick between Gillette and Tennesse or West Bend or Lima we would pick Gillette but nothing happens we will be in Tennesse next year.
    I think you might like East Tennessee. I was camping this week about 70 miles from Gray and woke up to 53 degrees. The weather seldom gets above the mid 80s-90 in the daytime. We have little traffic around here and you might think you are in the sticks.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Cool

Well redclfco We do agree that West Bend was a good Rally.

After that, you and I are a universe apart on too many issues.

You have no idea WHY I ride, what I did in or around Gillette, what I expect of a rally, etc., etc., etc.

We don't need to waste space on this Forum being at odds, so I shall execute a graceful exit.

Gillette is now part of the MOA history. How it will be judged is as yet an unwritten chapter.

Ride Safe!

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I've never been to a BMW rally I didn't like. I think the rally is really the people. Some venues may test you but the people make it work. Tireless chair persons, volunteers, and all the rally goers.
    And the ride...even if it is across the plains...there is always a story or a memory from every mile.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

ChasBrink

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    At least we agree on one thing; West Bend was a fantastic Rally.

Where we differ is I ride to ride; from your comments, I get the picture you ride for destination. Wyoming was just too much state for you! My guess is you never ventured out the rallly gate, never rode the 60 miles to the bighorns, never rode the short hop to devils tower. You missed the boat! Sorry Greenwald, the few miles of twisties surrounding Westbend does not even stand on the same platform as the majestic rides you had an opportunityto ride in Wyoming! Wake up! you missed the boat!

Westbend was fantastic, but was a different rally, and had different objectives in mind in terms of its overall intrinsic value. All I am saying and what astounds me is your unwaivering belief that Wyoming was a bad rally. Give it up! both Rally's were fantastic, and I am already excited about TN!

Revenue is not the bottom line. BMWMOA Rally is not in this world to meet your monetary performance standards, but to provide a huge variety of locations/of experiences for the members to enjoy. If we were to follow your reasoning, the door of future rally locations should be shut and shut tight using the Mississippi as a boundary.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by RJM2096 View Post
    Having the maximum attendance is not the most important issue. It is the ride. While the Gillette location had some issues, it was in a cool location for side trips.
    For us, it was the trip there and back. On the way, we rode in Nevada, Utah and Wyoming, finding great, uncrowded and scenic riding all along the way. On the way back, we dropped down to Colorado, then up through Utah, into Wyoming, then over through Idaho to Oregon and down into California. Yeah, the riding around Gillette didn't pull me off site, but, to be honest, I'm pretty busy at the rally and don't usually get out much.

But, man, the trip there and back was terrific. We camped in Estes Park, spent a night in Glenwood Springs, camped outside Flaming Gorge, camped near Jackson Hole, spent time riding the mountains in Colorado and had a couple great days of riding in Idaho and western Wyoming.

What Wyoming offered was a terminus for our trip, complete with friends and partying.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    GREAT idea, so we will never see it. Guess I'll have to wait for a rally to come back this way or hit the power ball and retire early.
    Mid week rallies are problematic for those of us that live on the coasts. For example, if a rally goes from Thursday to Sunday and is on the east coast, I have about 5 or 6 days to get there and a bit more than a week to get home. If it's midweek, on a Tuesday through Friday schedule, I have 3 or 4 days to cross the country and 2 days to get home, unless I want to be out for portions of three consecutive weeks. That can be a hassle for many.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I had a blast at this rally, We spent three days riding in SD, ND and Montana. We rode the Black Hills, The Badlands, Devils Tower and Three Center of the USA sites ( see thread under ride reports. )
    I volunteered the Thursday evening IBMWR Beer Garden and spent Friday on a 650 mile loop to Bear Tooth Pass and back.

My only regret is I didn't socialize as much as I wanted to, the Woodfords is unopened

Great Job, Great Rally.
    Craig Cleasby
    South Windsor, CT
    1996 K1100LT
    2004 R1150GS
    Yankee Beemers

Second Rally

Gillette was my second rally. I really enjoyed my first in West Bend. (Thanks Sue & Crew) Both of them were one long days ride from home for me. As a matter of fact both locations were within a handful of miles different from the other. You see I can only take one week of vacation at a time. So I have to be able to make the return trip on Sunday's. That way I can be at "battle stations" Monday morning. (I'd vote for Tuesday - Thursday or Wednesday - Friday rallies)

Both rallies I had planned on doing my riding before getting to the rally sight. Like Paul and Voni I took the long way to Gillette. i.e. Chief Joseph, Beartooth, and WY 14A/14. Once there I didn't start my GS till I was ready to leave Sunday. The rally to me is to see friends, meet new friends and to see the vendors and entertainment.

When Gillette was announced last year I was to say the least very happy. 1. Because I knew I would be able to get home in one day. And 2. Because I knew that there would be some great riding if I took a less direct route to Gillette.

Last year while riding the SS Badger I was talking to some people from the eastern seaboard. They were asking questions about riding "out west". While they had the atlas out they were asking if it was possible to go from point A to point B in a day. After trying to explain to them that the days they were planning would be really long, I finally explained it this way. "West of the Missouri River, distances are farther than they appear." I don't think they could grasp the vast open spaces of the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountain regions. I'm wondering if they made the trip this year to see those wide open spaces?

Was Gillette a success? Well for me is was! It allowed me to ride in the Rockies for 4 days and spend time with old and new friends. (Thanks Deb, Carol & Crew)

Will I make it 3 in a row? Nope, from the 2009 rally site to home is about 1100 miles. (mid week rally no problem, two 500 mile days) I really don't want to do a SS1K after being out for the previous 8 days. Maybe next year will be a regional rally summer, let's see, Top of the Rockies, Hiawatha rally.....maybe I'll see you down the road.
    Jim Nyffeler
    Lincoln NE
    '10 F800GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936

Smile cold one

The beer garden has been good every rally I've been too. I guess I like to keep it simple.
    robert