Thread: Head count for 08

Hybrid View

airhead6

Head count for 08

Missed it this year but how many people made it? What was the final head count?

Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    If I remember correctly, this has to be the least attended national rally in about 5 years. Vermont was over 9,000, Wisconsin was around 8,000. I can't remember seeing a head-count this low in some time.

Isn't there a break-even attendance required for a national?

Perhaps this rally proves that holding it so far from population centers, no matter how nice the area, will not draw attendees. Something to add to the rally site selection criteria?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GSCookeMnster View Post
    If I remember correctly, this has to be the least attended national rally in about 5 years. Vermont was over 9,000, Wisconsin was around 8,000. I can't remember seeing a head-count this low in some time.

Isn't there a break-even attendance required for a national?

Perhaps this rally proves that holding it so far from population centers, no matter how nice the area, will not draw attendees. Something to add to the rally site selection criteria?
    You're correct. Anything in the eastern area of the US has much larger attendance due to the number of riders/members and population in general. The Western rallies are always lower in attendance. Spokane, Durango, and Redmond had attendance of 5900-6400 (not sure of exact attendance..sorry)

We knew attendance would be lower, but are o.k. with the numbers considering the current gas prices and expenses in general.

That's why we have "zones" for our rally site selection consideration. If we were always shooting for high attendance, then we'd have all rallies east of the Mississippi. Not quite fair to our membership base.

Attendance needs for break-even/profit will always vary depending on site costs, entertainment costs, and all other expenses. If the attendance is always 9,000, the Rally Site Selection team would have to change many requirements, and our potential sites would definitely be limited.

Thanks for the input!
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSCookeMnster View Post
    Perhaps this rally proves that holding it so far from population centers, no matter how nice the area, will not draw attendees. Something to add to the rally site selection criteria? Brian
    I think there was a lot more to the low attendance in addition to the distance from population centers. I think the shortage of affordable lodging had a large impact on the attendance. Also, the lack of trees, grass and normal summertime temperatures also impacted the turnout.

When you consider the long distances involved, the cost of fuel along with the expensive lodging, the price of attending the rally was over the budget for many working folks who would also have to miss several days of work to attend. The cost in both money and time kept many people away.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    2007 West Best, WI 7875
    2006 Burlington, VT 9230
    2005 Lima, OH 8048
    2004 Spokane, WA 6187
    2003 Charleston, WV 7198
    2002 Trenton, ONT 5682
    2001 Redmond, OR 6677
    2000 Midland, MI 6188
    1999 Rhinebeck, NY 6440
    1998 Missoula, MT 6050
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

airhead6
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    2007 West Best, WI 7875
    2006 Burlington, VT 9230
    2005 Lima, OH 8048
    2004 Spokane, WA 6187
    2003 Charleston, WV 7198
    2002 Trenton, ONT 5682
    2001 Redmond, OR 6677
    2000 Midland, MI 6188
    1999 Rhinebeck, NY 6440
    1998 Missoula, MT 6050
    WOW! thanks for the data!

Well sounds like a lot of people had a great time this year. I did want to comment on the lack of photos for us folks who stayed home. Whom ever was in charge of last years rally photo shots and posting of them on the site did a great job. I know its a volunteer's job so let me be the first to volunteer my services next year to take a post a zillion photos so the folks at home can see all the fun they are missing.

Thanks again for the numbers
    Gmac