Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riding Pants

craigstb

Riding Pants

After attending the rally at Gillette I realized that I desperately need to invest in riding pants. Jeans provide no protection, are bulky to pack, and hot to wear in mid-July. Any suggestions on pants than offer comfort on hot days as well as cool mornings and that can be worn over shorts or jeans?
    Thanks

daddyal
    I get 4 season performance from my tourmaster "venture air" pants and "intake" jacket.

ARValkguy

Pants:

If you are not looking to spend an arm and a leg, and find some pants with built in flexibility.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_...cle_pants.html

no riding pants that you wear over other pants or shorts are going to be comfortable or cool. Get some dedicated riding pants. I have the BMW Rally 2 pros and find them very versitile. Take the water proof line out and open the vents, good for warm to hot riding, close the vents, good for cooler mornings, put in the liners and good for rain, wear some longjohns under them and good for cold weather. I've worn them from freezing to 100 and they work.(sometimes in one day around here!).

Earl

glennhendricks

Tour Master Caliber

http://www.motogearoutlet.com/pants.htm About half way down. Wear them commuting over my chinos. Armor, waterproof, removable liners, velcro waist closure.

Rode home in a downpour today and stayed dry as a bone.

Could wear them over shorts but I haven't yet.

johnpeter
    Mail these folks your most comfortable, best fitting jeans and for $299 you will get cool, kevlar pants. http://www.motoport.com/Default.asp

I either use my Venting Machine Pants or wear the Roadcrafter over jeans (the only "over pant" option in the wardrobe).

I've heard that BMW's Summer Pants and City Pants are also pretty good.

Try Olympia Airglide II mesh pants. I have 2 pair. Great vented mesh for hot days and a zip out removable quilted waterproof liner for those not so hot days. Great quality, good armour, and stylish too. I just did 4 days riding around the Catskills in mostly hot humid weather, and they performed great. Good down to about 40 degrees with the liner in. Lower than that, I have Olympia Rangers, which are solid nylon, with no mesh, and they get me down into the low 20's. Below that I have TourMaster Calibers which could go sub-zero, but they're very bulky and I look like the Michelin Man wearing them. Hope that helps.

I can vouch for the BMW Summer pants. Versatile, comfortable, good armour.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

I got 2 sets of clothes - Fall / Winter Gore Tex.
    - Spring / Summer Kevlar
    - Light weight rain gear -for summer

Get good gear - it might be $$ but you'll thank me later if something happens to you.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for - just like in bikes you ride.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

+1 for the Olympia Airglide II overpants - they are very good for the price and great in the summer. I use them when it is 100 degrees and with the liner down to 45 degrees. Below that I use leather.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...

I have the Tourmaster Flex pants and jacket. I really like them a lot. I managed to get in almost 600 miles last weekend here in Ohio. It was 95 degrees and almost as humid. I was comfortable while riding and the mesh was comfy off the bike as well. I have worn the suit with the liners down to 40 degrees and been comfortable. For the money I think the Flex outfit is hard to beat.

Jim Bud
    I wear Darien pants in all seasons of weather.....last week they went from high 30's in the passes to 100+ in the desert.....they worked well across the board.....and with bicycle shorts underneath, I rode two 1,000+ mile days.....they worked in the rain because they are Gortex.....they flow air because they are Gortex.....and I like the fact that they are all-in-one, I have no need to change or put on anything because the weather changed.......

I think the most important thing is "fit"....if you are comfortable in the pants, and you have the right jacket (Darien for me) you will be just fine.....I like the Darien pants because they are a "jean" fit pant. And that fits me just right....

Good luck with your search.....
    Jim Bud...

leeines

Riding clothes

To Jim Bud;
    Please post the web address for the Darien pants you mentioned.
    Thanks,
    Lee

Jim Bud
    Quote Originally Posted by leeines View Post
    To Jim Bud;
    Please post the web address for the Darien pants you mentioned.
    Thanks,
    Lee
    Lee, its just Aerostitch Darien... web site http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html
    Jim Bud...