Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gillette Photos 7/19/2008

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestGS View Post

(P.S. Those that know - tire did fine, it's worn out though, too many switchbacks and hairpins )
    Too many switchbacks and hairpins?

How can that be?

Great seeing you in Gillette!!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    MUCH more to follow. Photo team took over 2,000 shots.

Best from Denver

Paul

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    More shots from PHOTO TEAM

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Too many switchbacks and hairpins?

How can that be?

Great seeing you in Gillette!!

Voni
    sMiling
    Oh I found some really fun roads on the way home.

Great seeing all of you in Gillette, and meeting some more "Invisible Friends"!
    Last edited by PacWestGS; 07-22-2008 at 12:37 AM.
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestGS View Post
    Oh I found some really fun roads on the way home.

Great seeing all of you in Gillette, and meeting some more "Invisible Friends"!
    Ah yes!

Highway 14 between Sheridan and Burgess Junction. A week ago when we were there we watched hang glider pilots "jumping" off that very cliff. I saw that the first time in that very spot in 1981.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Some more...

(Edit: GS Event photos moved to own thread)

Somewhere on I-90 before I got very very wet... (Thursday night's storm - I rode though it)

I found some dryness here and there, good thing I'm not affraid of the dark in the middle of nowhere. (Enjoyed a nice Cigar and a fantastic light show while waiting)
    Last edited by PacWestGS; 07-23-2008 at 01:53 AM.
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Oh yeah, the second thing I'll remember most -

Oh yeah, the second thing I'll remember most - About the 2008 National MOA Rally in Gillette, WY

After 50+ miles in a torrential down pour, scary lightning, hydroplaning on flooded roads while passing semis, and staring intently for mule deer at midnight while riding at max (safe) speed, OK 75-90

I pulled into the first hotel after getting gas and my final (IronButt - gas receipt) - NO Vacancy, OK thanks...

In first gear, at 3-5mph I leave the overhead parking area and, and -

GO SIDEWAYS

It was still raining. As soon as I started to make this turn, the front wheel went down hill fast like riding on ICE, I goosed it and that only made the back tire catch up to the front wheel which was still sliding down the grade. I had the whole bike going sideways for about five-feet before she went out from under me. All I could do was hold on and keep my legs where they were, on the foot pegs. At full tilt handlebar lock I fell - doing a nice pirouette (unlike Tonya Harding, I had no judges... )

These were taken on my way out of town when it was dry.

Details:

Crashbar:

Different angle:

I couldn't even pick up the bike the first time, my feet were sliding around like I entered an ice rink with cowboy boots on... I had to slide it almost to the curb. (About where it is now)

The damage, which isn't bad at all (Handlebar endcap, crashbar, engine cover, and leading plastic edge of pannier)

I got it up (Skert method), full tank, fully loaded and said a few four letter words and said what else you got tonight after riding 1066-miles in 17-hours, bring it...
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Ah yes!

Highway 14 between Sheridan and Burgess Junction. A week ago when we were there we watched hang glider pilots "jumping" off that very cliff. I saw that the first time in that very spot in 1981.

Yes, Paul and the other one is Hwy 296 north of Cody. (Did this one two-years ago, fun fun), but going up and over Beartooth Hwy (212) was equally as fun. Our very own "Stelvio Pass"!!!
    Russ