Thread: Thought from the Road-Gillette Bound

beemergrl

Thought from the Road-Gillette Bound

My very first trip cross country on a motorcycle. I am on a 650Cs and my husband is on an RT. Here are some things that have been interesting....

1. We are from the Dallas area and stopped over because my husbancd wanted to spend the night in Palo Duro Canyon in Texas. The mosquitos and flies were the worst I have experienced anywhere.

2. We put a bag on my best rest luggage rack on my bike and the strap came loose somehow and almost tore off my back turn signal. My husband will have to repair today before we leave from Colorado Springs.

3. My zumo glass on the front of GPS has shattered. Not a happy camper about that one. !!!

4. A bee flew up my sleeve near Carlton New Mexico and stung me at 75 MPH. Having to pull over very quickly was quite an experience. To top that off, while bent over on the road trying to take my helmet off in pain, another BMW rider whizzed by and didn't even stop or wave.

5. Gas war in Trinidad Colorado. Cheapest was 4.29 to 4.59. If you are traveling through Colorado on I 27, Fill up Pueblo north. Gas was 3.85. Much better.

6. Next stop...Fort Collins, tonight and Speafish rally tomorrow.

Needless to say, I'm not going to buy a lottery ticket.

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar

likewise

Quote Originally Posted by beemergrl View Post
    My very first trip cross country on a motorcycle. I am on a 650Cs and my husband is on an RT. Here are some things that have been interesting....

4. A bee flew up my sleeve near Carlton New Mexico and stung me at 75 MPH. Having to pull over very quickly was quite an experience. To top that off, while bent over on the road trying to take my helmet off in pain, another BMW rider whizzed by and didn't even stop or wave.
    On a recent trip around the Great Lakes I stopped in MN at a "trapper's" roadside shop advertising Elk Skin Gloves for $10. Well, I bought two pairs of shorty-style roper gloves. I have only ever worn gauntlet style gloves. I tried a pair of the roper gloves a few days later. I immediately appreciated the added wind up my Darien sleeves. Then, I can't imagine how, a bee also whizzed up the tiny crack between the glove and cuff. Luckily I didn't get stung. I managed to pull over and slowly extricate myself from the jacket. I saw the slightly dazed bee fall to the ground then buzz away. Got lucky on that one. But my sympathies all the same. The positive side is that you now have interesting stories to tell upon your return. Right?!

Cheers, G
    g r a n t

Needless to say, I'm not going to buy a lottery ticket.
    On the other hand, now may be the perfect time to buy one. Only one way to go, and that's up!

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    4. A bee flew up my sleeve near Carlton New Mexico and stung me at 75 MPH. Having to pull over very quickly was quite an experience.
    To top that off, while bent over on the road trying to take my helmet off in pain, another BMW rider whizzed by and didn't even stop or wave.
    Buy the Lottery ticket! The Bee coulda been a deer!

...and I'll wave!

Unfortunately some BMW "Enthusiasts" are elitists as well.
    The "Loud Pipes" of the Beemer crowd, if you will.

Safe Journey! Keep posting!
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Quote Originally Posted by GrantMacEachern View Post
    On a recent trip around the Great Lakes I stopped in MN at a "trapper's" roadside shop advertising Elk Skin Gloves for $10. Well, I bought two pairs of shorty-style roper gloves. I have only ever worn gauntlet style gloves. I tried a pair of the roper gloves a few days later. I immediately appreciated the added wind up my Darien sleeves. Then, I can't imagine how, a bee also whizzed up the tiny crack between the glove and cuff. Luckily I didn't get stung. I managed to pull over and slowly extricate myself from the jacket. I saw the slightly dazed bee fall to the ground then buzz away. Got lucky on that one. But my sympathies all the same. The positive side is that you now have interesting stories to tell upon your return. Right?!

Cheers, G
    I have several motorcycle-riding bee sting stories, one involving a sensitive area of my ex-wife's anatomy - but will spare you all that. More to the point, I always wear gauntlet groves. In the summer the mesh gloves from First Gear pass a lot of air - not as much as open sleeves, but they don't pass the stinging insects.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I wanna know why the business end of the bee always hits first.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I wanna know why the business end of the bee always hits first.
    'Cause they ain't comin' at you at the strike... They too are saying "Yikes!"
    Soooo... When they turn to split, ya hit the south end of a northbound bee!

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    Buy the Lottery ticket! The Bee coulda been a deer!

...and I'll wave!

Unfortunately some BMW "Enthusiasts" are elitists as well.
    The "Loud Pipes" of the Beemer crowd, if you will.

Safe Journey! Keep posting!
    Passed 3 black GS's yesterday and gave a big wave.. got nothing in return.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Passed 3 black GS's yesterday and gave a big wave.. got nothing in return.
    The blackones never waive. They are on their way to meet the black helecopters

Rally Rat

Zumo

How did the glass break on your gps?

Ouch! That had to hurt. I put a clear shield on my zumo hoping that it would prevent scratching. So far so good but I don't know about keys!

Altitude sickness...takes time. I used to visit Idaho years ago when I was a jogger and other times when I wasn't so fit. I would get up and run 5 miles...I found the better shape I was in the less it bothered me. It usually wears off in a day or two as you adjust to the elevation change. Hang in there and just take it easy. If you feel poorly, stop and rest. There's really not much else you can do but give yourself the time to adjust.
    Last edited by Raevyn; 07-13-2008 at 02:28 AM.

beemergrl
    Well, we have made it to the relatives...a planned visit in Greely, Colorado. As far as my first posting with the list of interesting things along the way, I can now add altitude sickness. Headache and shortness of breath. Any ideas of how to best handle this while motorcycle riding will be appreciated.

By the way, I cracked my zumo glass with a set of keys I tossed in my helmet when we were camping out. How stupid was that!!!!!

I can now add altitude sickness. Headache and shortness of breath. Any ideas of how to best handle this while motorcycle riding will be appreciated.
    Plenty of Alcohol the night before so the hangover will over ride the alt sickness!