Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot weather riding gear

Hot weather riding gear

I'm looking for a hot weather suit. Have read some posts but still need some input. Currently using an Aerostich Roadcrafter and love the suit - but it is hot. Wondering about the Darien or Darien Light vs. Motoport and BMW hot weather suits in particular. Any help is appreciated.

I have been using the First Gear meshtek jacket and pants for several years. They are pretty much like riding in jeans and a t-shirt as long as you are moving.

I am running with a Tourmaster Flex I jacket and Joe Rocket Phoenix Pants. The Flex jacket has a outer shell that zips off to make the jacket full mesh, plus an inner rain liner and a removable quilted liner. That make it a do all jacket for summer riding. Works from the 40's F up to...

In the cool fall and spring and winter I wear my Stich.

Rod

Olympia Air Glide 2

I'm using the Olympia Airglide 2 jacket in Silver.
    Spent a lot of time trying to find domething light colored.
    Really like this jacket. Inner lining for rain or to wear around the campground.
    Have not gotten the pants because they are not long enough for my 36" inseam.
    Still trying to figure that out....
    Tom Baker
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    1970 Triumph Bonneville

I use a Heinrik Geric mesh jacket (bought it years ago) & First Gear mesh pants for temps above 90 degrees. Below that I use the Olympia Recon 2 jacket & pants. Below 60 degrees, I have other options.

The Olympia has more protection than a full mesh set & I prefer it. I do not like suits with liners as they do not fit right without the, & with them you look like a rolly polly 3 year old who's mother wrapped them up for winter.
    2009 Titan Silver Metallic R1200RT (Sierra BMW/Zonta Club raffle winner)
    1996 Cirrus Blue Metallic R1100RT (Garaged)
    2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold)

BobFV1
    I use the BMW Venting Machine jacket and pants - sometimes substituting the BMW Summer pants for the VM pants. The BMW gear is well-made, comfortable, and has excellent CE protection.

Quote Originally Posted by tkbaker4 View Post
    I'm using the Olympia Airglide 2 jacket in Silver.
    Spent a lot of time trying to find domething light colored.
    Really like this jacket. Inner lining for rain or to wear around the campground.
    Have not gotten the pants because they are not long enough for my 36" inseam.
    Still trying to figure that out....
    I have the silver Olympia Airglide 2 jacket and pants and really like them. Much cooler than my older Joe Rocket Phoenix (1st generation) jacket and pants, in part due to the silver color. I think the strategic use of fabric (Cordura) on the Airglide also helps by blocking the direct wind and channeling it into the mesh areas. The insulated liners are great on a cool/cold morning, and with Frogg Toggs over the top you can layer up/down for 3 seasons of wet or dry riding.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Colorado High Country glennhendricks's Avatar

+1 on the Olympic

I wear it with the liner in the morning at 40 degrees, wear it without in the afternoon at 90 degrees. Very comfortable.

Revitt Air jacket...back protection...shoulder pads, and elbow pads are standard...nice ventilation...worth a look.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-air-jacket
    Edde
    93 K75s
    www.motoedde.com

Quote Originally Posted by motoedde View Post
    Revitt Air jacket...back protection...shoulder pads, and elbow pads are standard...nice ventilation...worth a look.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-air-jacket

I 2nd the Rev'It Air Jacket. My wife and I have each have one here in the Panhandle of Florida and they are great! My RT is my only mode of transportation so I am riding in the Hot and Humid and the jacket works very well and keeping me cool.

Here is a picture of me in my Olympia.

OK, so it is not me, but I wear the same jacket.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Just bought meself an Airglide jacket in Hi Viz Yellow.

It's so bright, it almost glows in the dark.

My old Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 was very comfortable, but I wanted better protection in the event of a getoff. I read that the mesh in this jacket melted upon contact with the pavement. Not very inspiring!

Of course, we now have a cool spell. I'll let you know how it is when riding in the 90's and humid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn45 View Post
    I have been using the First Gear meshtek jacket and pants for several years. They are pretty much like riding in jeans and a t-shirt as long as you are moving.
    +1

I've had the original First Gear MeshTex jacket for seven years, and last month I finally bought a pair of the First Gear Mesh Tex 2.0 pants. Excellent products for a decent price.

And, BTW, the Mesh Tex 2.0 pants are now on NewEnough.com's closeout list at only $94.99. Here's the link.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

+2 for First Gear. Jacket, pants and gloves have worked great for a few years now. Just don't get caught in the rain or you'll find your wearing a sponge!
    -Ride Safe & Avoid Anyone On The Phone-
    **2000 R1100RT (Bullfrog), 1976 R90/6 (Tadpole)**
    beemerFROG a.k.a. Douglas E. Rost
    MotoFrog.net -- Black Frog Marketing

I sold my 1 year old Roadcrafter and bought the Rallye II Pro jacket and britches. It is the finest piece of hot weather gear I have ever owned. What sold me was the fact that I could unzip the sleeves and the remaining full perf nylon liner would still be in place with all the armor. 3 weeks ago coming across Kansas it was the hottest I've ever ridden in it. 102F constant. I saw 103F briefly. I was not uncomfortable. I'll also say that the humidity level was very low.
    I used to not ride much in July, now I fear it not! Bring it on

Sanders
    Last edited by Sanders; 07-13-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: speillink