Thread: Non-Stop

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar

Non-Stop

I just read about Gary Orr's non-stop ride coast-to-coast.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=1685863

Kudos!

Has this been on BMW MOA already? I didn't find it.
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

Rally Rat
    I've known truck drivers who used to do this sort of thing . . . they ate little white pills and drank gallons of coffee. They were a danger to themselves and everyone else. I'm glad Mr Orr made it, but I'm glad I wasn't on I-State 10 at the time.

OUTBACKUFO
    interesting feet.... but TOTALLY Reckless and Dangerous to more of others on the road...

Brilliant. Towed a trailer with 75 gallons of gas behind him. I guess he was hoping not to be rear ended.

Any way you look at it, it was a reckless stunt.

But no doubt someone else will justify it and another idiot will try to beat his time.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar

Thanks for sharing about risk

Great discussion. I'm glad everyone responded. I offered my kudos, despite the fact that the stunt was very risky. My rationale is that risks are always balanced with rewards. For this stunt, the rewards came through discipline and teamwork. He could have stopped any time the risks outweighed the rewards. His situation was unlike, say, that of Charles Lindbergh, who sat for 33 sleepless hours in a fragile airplane behind a large tank of dangerous fuel, as alone as any human has ever been. Lindbergh received a cash reward and recognition as a pioneer of air travel, but he risked his life to get it. This guy risked less, for less reward.
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar

Thumbs down

I don't think this type of stunt does the motorcycling community any favors.
    He did not stop to lights or stop signs? What kind of crap is that? As if the "record" would be tainted? I'd like to see him not stopping for a cop.
    I can't believe hauling 75 gal of fuel would not classify him as a hazardous load.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

non stop

I would suggest that there are riding behaviours that are of [themselves] unsafe...SIBud
    I don't think this type of stunt does the motorcycling community any favours. SheRides a Beemer
    I agree; it was a dumb stunt.

Rinty

1024JLC
    Poor judgement displayed for the simple desires to make it into some sort of record book. It was a total lack of concern for the community at large, and motorcycling in general. Stuts like this are just fine, until something goes wrong, and then it usually entails injury to other persons. There was obviously a lot of time put in on planning this trip (i.e.: amount of fuel, route maping, food and water supply, etc.), but I did not read anything regarding safety for the general public in the event of an accident. This was a careless stunt at best, and it will only engage others to take the next step, like corss country and return without stopping!

Personally,I tip my hat to the guy,I like people that take chances.
    Nose

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Quote Originally Posted by Oznay View Post
    Personally,I tip my hat to the guy,I like people that take chances.
    +1

Ralph Sims

Sounds like an incredibly fun ride!

All back roads, I would assume...that is, if its supposed to be a challenge.