View Poll Results: How do you protect your 'assets'?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sheepskin

57 23.08%
  • Beads

26 10.53%
  • Airhawk

14 5.67%
  • Extra padding in my pants...don't ask.

5 2.02%
  • Corbin

25 10.12%
  • Rick Mayer

23 9.31%
  • Russell

18 7.29%
  • Cee Bailey

3 1.21%
  • Other, let me tell you

39 15.79%
  • I don't need no stinkin' butt protection!

37 14.98%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Butt Pad, no pad or seat upgrade?? What is your flavour??

I installed lower and larger pegs on my GS. The more open seating position eased the fold in my hips and made it easier to move around on the seat. That transformed my barely ok Sargent (but better than stock) into a good seat for me.

FRITZ1
    I use a Sargent seat and switch back and forth with beads or the sheepskin,.......depending on the riding conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by antaeas View Post
    The pad I use isn't on the list. Its Freedom Air; see

http://www.starcushion.com/consumer.php

I checked Air Hawk for now.
    Ditto for the FreedomAir. Motorcycle Consumer News - July '08 issue did a comparison of the FreedomAir to the Airhawk. They came to the same conclusion I did over a year before in an article in our own Owners News..

FreedomAir works better for me than an Airhawk - and I've owned both. It greatly increases my hours in the saddle without killer pain threshold. And I find it better than the several custom seats I've owned (Russell, Sargent, BMW-Comfort, Corbin) and better than beads, sheepskin or gel. I think I've tried ALL the options, and this is the one that works for me.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by boxerr View Post
    Custom built seats are the only true improvement for real comfort.
    All other means are only a bandaid.
    As I've often said "Your butt may vary.." - having gone custom seats several times (Russell and Sargent, semi-custom - Corbin and BMW Comfort Seat) - I've found the bandaid (FreedomAir cushion) works better for my butt.

I've also found there are no hard/fast rules for butt comfort. What works for one person may be torture for another (the Sargent seat I had made was pure torture for me - even after having them redo it 3 times..)

Glad the custom seat works for you - but others may want to try/consider other options. Some people swear by beads (I found they transformed 4 points of pain into hundreds of points of pain..) Some swear by custom seats.

Use what works for you - and no one can really tell you what's gonna work..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

on my little F650GS i put a sheepskin butt pad which was an improvement over the stock seat. i still wanted more comfort so i had Mr. Ed's Moto make me a custom seat. i researched seat makers and i found that Don at Mr. Ed's not only rides an F650GS but so does his wife. he knew exactly what was wrong with the stock seat and made a seat for me that when combined with my sheepskin butt pad gives me mile after mile of comfort. 500 + miles days are now no longer a painful event but rather a non issue. the workmanship Mr. Ed's provide is first rate and they have a quick turn around time. i was also told by Don if i was not happy with how my seat turned out they will gladly work with you and take the seat back and do whatever is needed to get the seat just the way you want. for me, this was some of the best money i have ever spent on a motorcycle accessory.

Thumbs up

As you can see from the posts, should have had Sargent on the poll.

It's percentage beats all other aftermarket seats.

It's what I sit on also.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 07-01-2008 at 12:58 PM.

I use the Wunderlich seat on my GS and it's fantastic. I can very comfortably go the 200 plus miles between fill ups.

Mongo
    I have a custom seat to gain some leg room. It raises me up and pushes me back a bit. I also put a sheepskin on in the winter. My Gerbing Union Ridge heated pants are a little slippery on the leather and the sheepskin helps with that.

My K100RT had a Corbin on when I bought it. It was too tall and uncomfortable. Went Sargent, now I can flat foot the bike and it is much more comfortable. I might try a sheepskin. On my old Yamaha I had a gel pad that helped a lot, but would be to tall a the K bike.

Exclamation I'm glad you asked!

I am looking for an "assets" solution! I broke my tailbone in February (at the annual motorcycle show in Chicago) and ever since riding started this spring, I have not been comfortable. I currently have a gel pad under my sheepskin. It helps but does not solve my problem.

When I sit on my F650, the seat hits right on my tailbone. If I move back on the seat, which feels much better, I tend to slide back down to where I am supposed to be. Any suggestions?

Please help me save my arse on the way to Gilette! Sunday I drove about 250 miles and I felt like I couldn't get off the bike when I arrived home.

MotoJoe's wife
    Last edited by motojoe; 07-02-2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: not motojoe, but his wife

Smile

The Airhawk pad has made a great difference in riding comfort since placing it on my CLC. My butt used to get uncomfortable after 45min or so. The Airhawk lets me ride until I need to fill up (about 160 miles), with no discomfort. Having talked to many long distance riders over the last 5 months I feel a custom seat is most likely the best option but the relatively low cost of the Airhawk and the comfort it provides make it a bargain at least in my case. Ride Safe

[QUOTE=nytrashman;342480] i had Mr. Ed's Moto make me a custom seat. QUOTE]

How do I contact Mr. Ed? Does he have a website?

MotoJoe's wife
    Joe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '04 R1150 R
    '07 F650 GS

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motojoe View Post
    When I sit on my F650, the seat hits right on my tailbone. If I move back on the seat, which feels much better, I tend to slide back down to where I am supposed to be. Please help me save my arse on the way to Gilette! Any suggestions?
    I remember Peter Eagen writing a few years ago that the only bike in his stable he could comfortably ride while recovering from a lower back injury was his R100RS. He thought the benefit was due to a combination of shifting some of the weight off his spine and being able to stretch his back out a bit.

Perhaps a less upright, more forward position (sport bike style -eek! ) might be just your ticket.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

corbin

A few years back I bought a 93 K75 that came with a corbin . This seat looked so great on the bike that I never took it off, but after 45 minutes my butt hurt so bad that I had to ride side saddle to releive the pain. The last few years I have been riding a 98gs with the stock seat. I made the usual adjustment and I was getting by. After reading some of these threads and knowing I was to imbark on a 7 day trip I got hot on buying another seat. I found a corbin from a MOA brother and got it last week. With a wicker type underwear, leather pants and this seat I have been able to do a 4 hour run with no problems. The stock seat would cause my inner thighs to be tender, but not so with the corbin. The corbin still feels very firm when I sit on it but I have more room to move my butt around . Like others before me have said, you have to find what works for you. Have you folks read the July issue ,that just came in the mail for me, Mac's 1,000,000 miles on BMW's. Note that he use's a sheepskin seat. MMMM maybe I'll try it next

Keep smiling
    Max/Michigan

Airhawk...

I enjoy my Airhawk so much, that I'm soon parting with my custom Bill Mayer saddle- in favor of the stock seat + my Airhawk pad.

YMMV