Thread: Wyoming Motorcycle

Wyoming Motorcycle

Probably already been posted but remember that Wyoming is one of those states that have that weird daylight headlight law. (I use BMWs parking lamp to conserve electricity)

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=wy

Quote Originally Posted by 72598 View Post
    Probably already been posted but remember that Wyoming is one of those states that have that weird daylight headlight law. (I use BMWs parking lamp to conserve electricity)

Also....leave the "apehangers" home

Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Some lawmakers have too much time on their hands, just like the idiots who ride with handle bars like that.

Using the parking light to save electricity is a joke, right?

btw, is there ANY state that doesn't require the headlight ON for motorcycles?

John

57dewey
    Michigan only requires headlights 1/2 hour after sunset and before dawn. None even needed lawfully in the rain. Me, i run with blinding lights all the time. If you make them mad you know they see you. One of Smith's laws of safe driving is "see and be seen". DS

Muneio
    Yes but a passenger seat is only required if carrying a passenger

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by Muneio View Post
    Yes but a passenger seat is only required if carrying a passenger
    All of my passengers have had seats. Some better than others!

is there ANY state that doesn't require the headlight ON for motorcycles?
    Very few states do. About 1/2
    Alaska, Arkansas, Calif (only on 78+), Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana (only 56+), Iowa (only 77+), Kansas (only 77+), Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon (must be white no white/blue lites), Pennsylvania (only 73+), South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (only 75+), Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and Wyoming (19 states and a Territory + 6 states for newer bikes only)

Not a joke! Lights on at low RPMs and charging system will not keep up. Hiway no problem but running lights in town and battery will run down, and try to get a jump for a 6V system, I carry wires and a lantern battery (in town running and motor not spinning fast enough for generator output, I have had same problem with my two older Harleys-35VL and 49 Pan- and Honda-81 & 82 CT110s-trail bikes) Always had this problem with a generator or magnito, never with a stator or alternator. This should not be a problem with a BMW or Harley BT that is 1970 or newer.

And you cannot walk into a auto parts store (or BMW, Harley or Honda dealer) and buy a tail light bulb (all 6V bulbs are now by special order only at BMW, Honda, Carquest and NAPA-Harley, Autozone and Checker cannot even get) let alone replace a BMW type Billix head light bulb) H-4 Halogen conversions are almost as hard to find bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    Also....leave the "apehangers" home

Darn, I was wanting to put apehangers on my R1100S... There goes that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brase View Post

btw, is there ANY state that doesn't require the headlight ON for motorcycles?

John
    Idaho does not. Go here for State M/C laws: http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=ID
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

state motorcycle requirements

Isn't there a list of state motorcycle requirements in the Anonymous Book? There used to be such a list. I don't have my book handy, and I'm not going out to the garage to find one.

Why would you want to give up the visibility factor of using your headlight in the daytime. New York State SUGGESTS using your high beam during daylight hours. You will not be blinding any on coming traffic, but you will stand out better from the hordes of cages with daytime running lights.

It used to be if you saw a headlight coming down the road it was either a motorcycle or a locomotive. Today we are getting lost in the mix of DRLs, especially if you are only using your low beam during the day.

I will admit to sometimes not using a headlight on my /2, but it is not always by my choice.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Isn't there a list of state motorcycle requirements in the Anonymous Book? There used to be such a list. I don't have my book handy, and I'm not going out to the garage to find one.

Why would you want to give up the visibility factor of using your headlight in the daytime. New York State SUGGESTS using your high beam during daylight hours. You will not be blinding any on coming traffic, but you will stand out better from the hordes of cages with daytime running lights.

It used to be if you saw a headlight coming down the road it was either a motorcycle or a locomotive. Today we are getting lost in the mix of DRLs, especially if you are only using your low beam during the day.

I will admit to sometimes not using a headlight on my /2, but it is not always by my choice.

Friedle
    AGREED!

In most states (my home state of WI included), daytime operation of the High Beam is permissible, up until 1/2 hr. before sunset and not until 1/2 hr. after sunrise.

Makes you more visible. As we say in MSF, "Part of being safe is being seen!"