View Poll Results: Which is the more important equipment investment?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sleeping Bag

8 19.05%
  • Tent

22 52.38%
  • Maritini Fixings and you can always swap for lodging

9 21.43%
  • Other

3 7.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest camping equipment investment

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

I checked "Other"

Because the biggest investment I have made in my camping kit is a Helen 2 Wheels duffle and straps. (I'm not complaining, rather, I'm just making the observation).

The other stuff was all (1) received as gifts, or (2) found on sale at a retail store, or (3) scavaged from a garage sale -- cheap.

Cheap is good -- especially when one camps only two or three times a year, in good weather, and near a decent restaurant.

'98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

mybmrrt04
    THIS is the most expensive 2 up camping equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DZIMBRIC

Sweet

That is a really sweet rig, who manufactured the trailer and what kind of hitch did you have to install?

mybmrrt04
    Thats the UNI-GO trailer made in New Zealand. The hitch is specific for the trailer and made by the same company. I would advise to try and find a used one which took me several months as they are very pricey new. Go here for the manufacturer web site:UNI-GO . I had it painted locally to match. It will hold quite a bit of gear and tows great.

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

I voted for the bag as mine has a membrane that keeps water out and the down dry. I like my dry. I like to be comfy while camping .I will hotel it in Spokane though, as after my trek from the Fla Keys I will need a room to regroup.

That UNI-GO trail sure looks nice if you ride two up and thus need more storage. How does the bike ride/handle with the trailer behind it???
    See y'all in Spokane, Cody or Paonia!!

mybmrrt04
    It handles like a dream. Easy to forget it's back there.

RIDERR1150GSADV

Thumbs up

I heard good things about them and they look cool too! Glad you like it

I just came back today from a three-day tent camping trip down in Baja California. I haven't tent camped in about five years because in 2000 I bought a VW WESTY. I sold it last year. The tent was in the storage box above my car for about five or more years. It looked/worked great I was surprised. Only it seemed smaller. It's a nylon dome tent. I think the tent is more important because it will keep you warm, dry, and bug free, oh yeah and shield some of the morning light out. It should be small, light easy to pack, and easy to clean and store. I dont even use a sleeping bag. I either use $5 Mexican blankets or my Army poncho and liner. For comfort I put the tent on nice fluffy grass or on soft sand. I also bring my E tool(folding shovel). It makes all the surfaces level and makes a trench when it looks like it might rain, also when it really windy (like this weekend) you bury the edges(sometimes in addition to stakes). Although now that I'm married my wife has been saying she wants to get a sleeping bag. Go figure. First we get rid of the Army rucksacks for matching luggage and now this.
    Thanks,
    Michael

A cheap tent will still keep you dry. A cheap sleeping bag will be huge, hard to pack, and cold.

I got tired of sleeping with my jacket on and still being cold. I finally bought a decent (not expensive) mummy bag that should do the trick.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I got tired of sleeping with my jacket on and still being cold. I finally bought a decent (not expensive) mummy bag that should do the trick.

Me too, I solved it by not camping when it is cold.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Originally posted by lorazepam
    Me too, I solved it by not camping when it is cold.
    If I did that, I'd never camp!

Even in June or July it can get pretty cold out here. I've woken up to snow while camping in June before!
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

Tent #1

1. Tent - Eureka 3 season, 3 person, no leaks from rain or sitting in 2" of water after rain
    2. Sleeping pad - Thermalrest LE (2.5 " thick self inflating)
    3. Sleeping bag - Synthetic fill, wet down will not warm you!
    4. Transportation - Helen2Wheels bags! Never had a wet sleeping bag even after 4 hours of heavy rain on bike.
    5. Chair - collapsable with footrest $17 at most outlets, off the ground easychair posture, after long ride MAJOR plus!
    6. Cooking gear - only worth it if you have a trailer, go out to eat. Most rally's even have morning coffee somewhare.
    Michael M. Moore
    BMWOA #86022

dlearl476
    I think I spent more money on my tent because I got my bag at a North Face outlet in SF on sale. Spent good bucks on a NF bicycle touring tent (11 years old now) after throwing away MORE money on several cheap tents.
    It's small, but it's SMALL. Says that it's a "two man" (maybe if they were REALLY good friends!) but it's great for me, my boots, jacket and saddlebags. AND it fits in a saddlebag or my dry bag along with my bag and Thermarest.

I have been camping (backpacking until I got a bike) under all conditions (from below zero F to triple digits) since I was about 11. I am now 47.

The surprising thing that I will share with you is that for the three mild seasons, a simple Coleman dome tent for about $50-60.00 will keep you dry and comfortable even in extremely bad weather. Simple to set up and it works.

REI sells a synthetically insulated sleeping bag that has a thick and a thin side - on warmer nights keep the thin side up and vice versa on colder nights. This bag is well under $100.00. Get a Thermarest pad of a size you like.

The other thing nobody has mentioned is to go out and buy yourself a stove that runs on gasoline and other liquid fuels (a multi fuel stove). Use it to make coffee in the morning in an REI lexan french press. The fuel bottle for it comes in handy if you run out of gas...
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

How about a cot!

I just bought one of those little cots that sits about 8 inches off the ground. That thing is great! Feels like a hammock. With the thermarest it's almost more comfortable than my bed back home. You motel only guys oughta give one a try.

MarkF