Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: When did I learn...? Practical tips for all riders.

You can ride fast but never in a hurry.

Give yourself a chance to wake up before you go riding. Especially true if you're at a rally and have had a few too many (Nothing wrong with that!)

When in doubt - Stop.

Watch out for what your body is telling you. If thirsty - drink. If you need to go - find a restroom (tree, ditch etc) but go.

Never ride tired.

If you need to stop then do it.

And finally Mother Nature wins everytime.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Better fit, better function.

The way a bike fits when you buy it is only a start. When ever I get a new bike, the first thing I do is adjust the controls and ergonomics to fit me and my riding style. If the rear brake lever feels to high or low, it can be adjusted to be more accessible. Same to some extent, with the brake and cluth levers and the gear shifter. If your bike has a windshield, you should be looking over the top of it, not through it. First time it rains and you can't see through it you'll understand why. Seat height, headlight angle, mirrors, controls, and even handlebars, are all somewhat adjustable. Having them feel and operate naturally will not only increase your reaction time in an emergency, but will help you to be more comfortable as you ride. More comfort means less fatigue and less fatigue means a better, more alert rider.

I bought a used V-strom several weeks ago and I have been tweaking and adjusting since then. Now it fits like a glove and I can see and feel that in my riding.

So don't hesitate to make your bike fit you. The original engineers designed the ergonomics for a theoretical "average" individual. Since I have never met that theoretical 'average" person, I'm pretty confident that all bikes need some tweaking to fit the rider.

The corrolary to that is that if you go to ride a bike other than your own and it doesn't feel right, don't ride it. You'll be too busy trying to adjust to concentrate on your riding. A "weird" feeling bike is even more distracting than a cell phone.

All little stuff that makes a huge difference but that sometimes we're never told.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    You can ride fast but never in a hurry.

If you need to go - find a restroom (tree, ditch etc) but go.
    OH COME ON! Encouraging public deification? Go post on a HOG forum!

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    OH COME ON! Encouraging public deification?
    What was that about being next to godlyness?
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

1. Look where you wanna go, not where you don't ("look through the curve")
    2. Corollary: If you keep staring at that pothole, you'll hit it.
    3. Get in shape. You'll be more comfortable and have more endurance.
    Jack Pate | '09G650GS | '95 R100RT | Previously: '00R1100R, '87K75T
    NW Arkansawyer |
    BMWMOA #125430 | Fraternal Order of the Mudshark (FOM #0001)

OH COME ON! Encouraging public deification? Go post on a HOG forum!
    When you have to go!

HOG - Sorry, no. No really into the pa-thetic, pa-thetic sound of those bikes.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

All kidding aside I prefer to concentrate on the road and it's constantly changing variables rather then bodily functions.

Have fun.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    All kidding aside I prefer to concentrate on the road and it's constantly changing variables rather then bodily functions.

Have fun.
    Good point. Just go easy on the coffee and bran muffins before
    hitting the road

There is some great info here! Someone should compile and create an article for ON. (not that I'm volunteering!)

I'm happy to say that I've developed many of these habits from day one. I had a really good teacher who constantly reminded me until it all became second nature.

Good point. Just go easy on the coffee and bran muffins before
    hitting the road
    That's a good point that several have mentioned. Travelling by bike is different than travelling by car. When you are going to be riding, think about what you eat and how it effects you. Some foods make you sleepy, some foods make you jittery, spicy food may make you uncomfortable. That will all influence how you ride.

Someone else mentioned if you are thirsty, stop and take a drink. I think that can be expanded to; if you need or want to stop for something, stop. It's not a race and if distance is your goal, don't bite off more than you can chew. Respect the messages your body is sending you as far as it's limits. The more you ride, the more you will be able to ride greater distances so build up to it.

Riding is, and should be, first and foremost fun. The term "ride your own ride" has appeared several times in this thread. It doesn't just apply to speed. it applies to distance, traffic conditions, destination, and any number of other things. When you choose your riding buddies, they should respect your level of experience and adapt to it. Nobody, whether experienced or novice, has to prove anything. Always, always, always stay in your comfort zone.

Newstar is right, this stuff would make a great ON article. Any takers?
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Jfixit
    Always check your mirror before pulling out to pass and never pass a vehicle on the right, I'm speaking mainly of the left hand turners traveling in the same direction as you are.

beware of the first drizzle after a dry spell. The oil & water on the tarmac combine
    to make an effective lubricant. You can actually suds in the tire tracks. Once it
    starts raining heavy it washes away and you can get crazy again. Also, stay out
    or the very center of the lane at intersections-that's where all the cages sit and
    leak oil, coolant, and AC drainage.

Thumbs up This is a really good thread

I would like to add two things:

1.)When riding on city streets next to parked cars, keep an eye on drivers in the cars who have their left hand in the ten o'clock position just over the directional stalk ( two o'clock for the Brit style) and they are looking in their side mirror or rear view mirror.

That cage is about to pull out, or wants to pull out, and chances are he / she does not see you.

2.) Replace your OEM scooter horn with a fiamme or steibel horn. These horns do get a cager's attention, although there is no substitute for common sense and good riding skills.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

It would be great to have all the ideas in this thread published in ON. Perhaps even have a continuous column?
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

When passing,do it ferociously and then, be done with it,then move over.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

it's always two

Over and over I've found that when a cager does something stupid and dangerous, it's almost certain that he'll do a second something even more incredibly dumb and unbelievably dangerous in just a moment.

Not the only reason for not chasing them down to instruct, but a pretty good bet in my experience.
    Last edited by 26667; 06-26-2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: brevity
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?