Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Need some Idaho advice

  1. #16
    MT State of mind
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    851
    Hey, I never promised NO gravel, just that I knew the routes I suggested were paved. Except for construction season, right? If it's Idaho gravel that you find, we'll blame it on Greg!

  2. #17
    Registered User RTRandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,585
    Thanks for the radar info. Certain parts of the trip call for moderate pace to enjoy the road and scenery so hopefully no radar hits for us in that area. Can't say I don't exceed the speed limit, but I'm a big stickler for staying on my side of the double yellow no matter what. Just won't go there.

    As for the Valentine, you're talking to a true believer. It's hard wired on both our bikes so we'll crank it up loud on your behalf in Idaho.

    Luck favors those who are prepared.

  3. #18
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Hey, I never promised NO gravel, just that I knew the routes I suggested were paved. Except for construction season, right? If it's Idaho gravel that you find, we'll blame it on Greg!
    Ha!
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  4. #19
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    Thanks for the radar info. Certain parts of the trip call for moderate pace to enjoy the road and scenery so hopefully no radar hits for us in that area. Can't say I don't exceed the speed limit, but I'm a big stickler for staying on my side of the double yellow no matter what. Just won't go there.

    As for the Valentine, you're talking to a true believer. It's hard wired on both our bikes so we'll crank it up loud on your behalf in Idaho.

    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  5. #20
    I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Live Free & Ride, NH
    Posts
    3,859
    The nice thing about traveling two up on the K75 is that 70-75mph is pretty much all I wanted to be doing.
    9,000 mile trip and we didn't even get stopped, how embarrassing!

    Idaho, when will it ever end?
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

  6. #21
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    The nice thing about traveling two up on the K75 is that 70-75mph is pretty much all I wanted to be doing.
    9,000 mile trip and we didn't even get stopped, how embarrassing!

    Idaho, when will it ever end?
    On that road (I've been there) at 75 about half the traffic would pass you.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  7. #22
    got, got, got no time... rguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rogersville, MO
    Posts
    399
    I plan on passing thru the Boise area in about a month. I am going to go up 55 and then 95/71 to the Oxbow dam and then thru Hell's Canyon area to Joseph, OR on my way towards Lewiston / Clarkston. Any recommendations or warnings? Looking forward to visiting the area!

    I will eventually end up at Gillette on my return trip home. (Lolo, Beartooth, Chief Joseph, etc. on the way back!)

    Thanks in advance!
    Neal - '09 R1200GS / '81 R65
    _______________________
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are.

  8. #23
    MT State of mind
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    851
    Hey, Greg, I also suggested Randy ride Cavendish to Dvorshak, that's P1, I believe and it was paved the last time I rode it.

    RGuy, you want to ride Hwy 129 from Lewiston/Clarkston Idaho to Enterprise Oregon. It's called The Rattlesnake.

  9. #24
    got, got, got no time... rguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rogersville, MO
    Posts
    399
    Thanks Montana, that's exactly the road I was planning on taking. Sounds awesome!
    Neal - '09 R1200GS / '81 R65
    _______________________
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are.

  10. #25
    I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Live Free & Ride, NH
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    On that road (I've been there) at 75 about half the traffic would pass you.
    I think they both did!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

  11. #26
    Registered User RTRandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Hey, Greg, I also suggested Randy ride Cavendish to Dvorshak, that's P1, I believe and it was paved the last time I rode it.

    RGuy, you want to ride Hwy 129 from Lewiston/Clarkston Idaho to Enterprise Oregon. It's called The Rattlesnake.
    That P1 road cuts off a chunk of riding Route 12 which is pretty darn awesome. The blue highlighted route is loaded in my GPS so we're once again committed to your advice. For reference we're coming down from the north.

    .

    The Dvorshak lake looks interesting. Is it worth a trip down one of the roads leading to it or perhaps the dam? That day is a full day so not sure how much time we'll have.

    Luck favors those who are prepared.

  12. #27
    MT State of mind
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    851
    Geez, Randy, the first trip I helped, you kept trying to convince me the map showed a road that I told you wasn't really a road for an RT, even if it has a number and shows on the map. Now you ask others for proof of a road I told you does exist, even though the map doesn't show it.

    You just gotta throw away the friggin' electronics and ride!

    Here are the only photos I have of the road from Cavendish, it drops down to the river valley pretty quickly. If Hwy 12 is big-time fun, this little side road is bigger-time fun.





    At the very bottom you have to slow to a crawl, otherwise you will run over all the folks in lawn chairs, fishing at the bottom of the reservoir. I don't know how far in to the various campgrounds/launch sites you will find pavement, and I think most of those are a bit of a jaunt.

    Oh, yeah, there was a great little burger/sandwhich/shakes joint in Orofino, if you are hungry when you get there, it's Becky's. If it's still in business, you'll see a couple of old classic cars just parked outside. It's next to a gas station - how convenient!

    Rguy, the year the MOA rally was in Redmond, OR, you can imagine how many of us rode The Rattlesnake. I bet lots of folks here have photos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •