Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone can describe Hwy 2, through South Dakota and Montana

Anyone can describe Hwy 2, through South Dakota and Montana

Planning to ride from Minnesota to Vancouver. I am looking for info of anyone taken Hwy 2 from Minnesota to Montana.
    Is Hwy 94 faster or not much difference in time. Need to get through as quick as possible to meet with other group and would like to avoid Hwy 94.
    Would be helpful for me to know. Trip will be in mid July/2008

MT State of mind
    If you're asking about I-94, not a local highway 94, I would say the main difference is the traffic. I-94 is the commercial truck route, superslab divided. Hwy 2 is often two lanes, one in each direction. You'll find yourself alone for miles at a time, then as you approach or leave towns, you'll be in some traffic.

Hwy 2 is open, rolling, windy, hot, hail, scenic, did I mention wind and, oh, yeah, scenic. It's usually got a stretch or two under construction. Watch for livestock.

Through Montana, Hwy 2 has a 70 mpg speed limit.

Hwy 2

Do some searches under "Glacier Park" and you'll pick up lots of info.

Rinty

Thanks, Montana and Rinty.

Oh sorry , yes I was talking about I-94

I will follow your sugestion and search 'Glacier Park'. On the way back will go slow and look for interesting routes. Just have to cross fast to start our tour in British Colombia. This country is so darn big.......and beautiful!!

If I take Hwy 2, I was suspecting wind, but.....not livestock?
    I-94 has winds too. This area is like that. Montana much police controling the speed?
    Nothing worse than straight roads no traffic and slow speeds.

Any of you have done my other alternative Hwy 1 through Canada, so I can compare?

(excuse my english and spelling- I am a non native)

glieske

Highway 2

I have taken Highway 2 from the MN border to Glacier park.

It is straight, generally flat with some roller coaster portions. I took it in July and had very little traffic. Lots of wheat fields on both sides, especially in Montana.

I have ridden this route a couple of times. The Montana / Dakota section is as already described. Pay attention to gas. There are plenty of stations but the hours of operation may be limited and you can find yourself waiting.

The Minnesota section has heavy traffic by comparison to the rest of the route with a great number of trucks. Be VERY careful of cages pulling out and passing. I have been run off the road by them in MN. So use caution.

I still prefer the scenery on Hwy 2 to I94 but the freeway is significantly faster in my experience if that is the key consideration in your plans.

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Abosit View Post
    Planning to ride from Minnesota to Vancouver. I am looking for info of anyone taken Hwy 2 from Minnesota to Montana.
    Is Hwy 94 faster or not much difference in time. Need to get through as quick as possible to meet with other group and would like to avoid Hwy 94.
    Would be helpful for me to know. Trip will be in mid July/2008
    How are you getting to Vancouver?
    Continue on 2 through Idaho and into Washington. Real nice semi-arid riding. When you get to the foothills of the Cascade Range jump on 97 North to 153 to Highway 20. This will take you into the North Cascades Park. Sections of this look like the Alps. 20 will intersect I-5 and you can take that North in BC or before I-5 take 9 North and cross into BC at Sumas.
    This is a better crossing as the I-5 can back up for hours!
    All in all sweet riding in Washington State as seen on Mays ON cover.
    However ya do it... Enjoy the ride!
    Jim
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

SD?

Gravel Road Impressionist BLUWING's Avatar
    I-94 to Glendive and then 200s up to Circle to 200 over to Great Falls is the fastest in my opinion. It gets really remote after Circle until you get to Lewiston (very few services).
    Hardly any traffic and less small towns to slow down for. It isn't scenic until closer to Lewiston though. If you are out of time it's the way to go, otherwise hwy 2 is full of great Americana.
    B

Road Trip USA has excellent descriptions of US 2 as well as many other US Highways

http://roadtripusa.com/

OOOps another mistake, , of course a ND rider would have noticed. Thanks for the correction.

Thank you all for the info, I am going to take the map one more time and see which route to take. West-bound time is of the esence and East-bound will explore the scenery.
    We where planing on the return to spend some time to explore the mountians.
    We are considering to take part of the old railroad tracks (just came out in the Road Runner Magazine an article about that) which is used by some bikers
    (husband and myself are riding two 1200 GS) so therfore very atractive.
    Anyone knows more about those trails?

You guys are great!! Thanks again

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    We traveled US2 last year and encountered difficult wind through the UP, WI and a bit of MN. The locals claimed it was unusually windy.

From there on US2 is a nice ride, albeit tedious through MN and ND required a pep talk for us both to get through it. But once you get into WY and start to see the mountains all is forgiven.

I found I could travel the speed I wanted, had enough gas and food options along the way. There are plenty of passing lanes, but for the most part you can travel for hours and see very little traffic. I even waved to trains for amusement.

Enjoy your trip!

US2
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Hwy 2 can be very windy and yes lots of open range country which means cattle. Hwy 1(Trans Canada) up here is in much better shape than #2 in Montana, much like the Interstates. You will be more likely to get a fast driving award from the Mounties up here(over 130kph,approx 75-80mph) than on #2 in Montana. Hwy 1 goes right through Calgary, no ring road with lots of lights, traffic etc. However, it is a beautiful ride through the Rockies after that with the proviso it is still the Trans Canada. The price of gas up here is higher than stateside tho.

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abosit View Post
    Thank you all for the info, ... We are considering to take part of the old railroad tracks (just came out in the Road Runner Magazine an article about that) which is used by some bikers
    (husband and myself are riding two 1200 GS) so therfore very atractive.
    Anyone knows more about those trails?

You guys are great!! Thanks again
    You mean this?

http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6535.php

Where are you crossing into Canada?
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

DZIMBRIC
    From there on US2 is a nice ride, albeit tedious through MN and ND required a pep talk for us both to get through it.

tedious, That is an understatement!