Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Combat Touring Boots for my birthday

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    The last time I got caught in a big rain storm, I came home with wet feet, and finally made a decision then and there I wanted some Aerostich combat lights for my upcoming Birthday. Any suggestions?
    Though it may be a moot point now... I bought a pair of over boots to cover a less weather hardy boot.
    I ride year round here in Seattle so you can be sure these are weather tested.
    Best $50 I've spent on my feet. "Hands" down!
    Last edited by grafikfeat; 06-21-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: 'cause...
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Since I've never been in combat, I couldn't tell you! I was a Cold-Warrior.
    I have a few buddies that were Cold-Warriors... but the question stands. How would mink or any other oil help the Aerostitch Combat Lights? They are finished black and impenetrable...
    Own: '13 K1600GT & '95 K75
    Owned: R1200GSA, GS & K1300GT

Quote Originally Posted by CWaterous View Post
    I have a few buddies that were Cold-Warriors... but the question stands. How would mink or any other oil help the Aerostitch Combat Lights? They are finished black and impenetrable...
    I have no personal experience with these boots, but my guess would be that they'd be softened a bit and would gain some water resistance. That's what mink oil does.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Gary99
    I think the CTBs are great. I have 35K on mine and they look barely worn. Have never had a drop of water come in them when treated as Sidi recommended with mine with Natur Seal. It is a beeswax/silicone mixture that makes them impervious to water, and I have been in many, many torrential downpours with them. The uppers are still stiff, but they are supposed to be, for your protection. Per most all leather manufacturers, avoid water proofing agents containing animal fats, such as mink oil. They will eventually rot the stitching and degrade the leather.
    Last edited by LTOwner; 06-24-2008 at 06:38 AM.

MORE "Combat Boot" Tips:)

Mine are about three months old now and I ride with them only once a week maybe on longer rides into the backcountry near my home and longer street rides, touring,etc.. MINK products soak into any leather and soften it and give some water resistance ability. I also use the Kiwi"Water Pruf" for extended ability for water tight Combat Boots. It works very well. I rode just yesterday in rivers two feet deep, on my GSAdventure, wearing the Combat Lights with all my above treatmenst and NOT A DROP got into the boots. AND, Aerostitch sells INSERTS for those who have bought a slightly oversized boot and they slip right in, mold to your foot and its fixed. This is a common issue with boots and they clearly advertise this in the Aerostitch Catalog, for those wishing to size their Combat boots perfectly. I've heard the inserts work very well. You bought the size 12, which is probably your perfect, best guess and the lower size would be too tight. I ordered the 12's, holding my breathe they would fit and I got lucky. I would have got the inserts as needed, if the fit issue arose. You should try this for yours, or you could sell the boots quite easily, at a bargain to somebody. They are a popular boot and you'd have no issue selling them for say, 200$. Maybe more! Best wishes, Randy"Polarbear"

Thanks for all the replys; I have had these for about a week, and have worn and ridden somewhere all seven. I have literally worn them everywhere (a graduation party, my wife thinks I'm nuts!). They fit just great, and ride just great, very happy with my birthday present!

Thumbs up Consumer report!

For those of you who are wringing your wallet out over the cost of Aerostich's Combat touring boots, specifically the light combat, I can attest today to the fact after wearing these dudes DAILY all day since the 19th or so (much to the amusement of my wife, my son and all of my coworkers),

THEY ARE LIKE BUTTER ON MY FEET!

I am very happy, don't find a need to even think about breakin, they fit perfect, lace even better, are all the boot I could ever want. I guess if I was decending into a steep wet valley in Brazil with Ted Simon, I might want the "original" Combat touring boot, the light combat touring boot will take on anything I will offer it in abuse, and come out shining!

The boots are worth the price, the look is much better than anything out there I have seen, and I think (my opinion) they are worth every damn penny I paid!

Nothing factual, statistical to back this up, just my loley opinion for you all...

userw5
    Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    For those of you who are wringing your wallet out over the cost of Aerostich's Combat touring boots, specifically the light combat, I can attest today to the fact after wearing these dudes DAILY all day since the 19th or so (much to the amusement of my wife, my son and all of my coworkers),

THEY ARE LIKE BUTTER ON MY FEET!

I am very happy, don't find a need to even think about breakin, they fit perfect, lace even better, are all the boot I could ever want. I guess if I was decending into a steep wet valley in Brazil with Ted Simon, I might want the "original" Combat touring boot, the light combat touring boot will take on anything I will offer it in abuse, and come out shining!

The boots are worth the price, the look is much better than anything out there I have seen, and I think (my opinion) they are worth every damn penny I paid!

Nothing factual, statistical to back this up, just my loley opinion for you all...

Did you get the cleated or the wedge sole?

Quote Originally Posted by userw5 View Post
    Did you get the cleated or the wedge sole?
    The wedge. Cleats drag in mud and stuff.