Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Combat Touring Boots for my birthday

Combat Touring Boots for my birthday

The last time I got caught in a big rain storm, I came home with wet feet, and finally made a decision then and there I wanted some Aerostich combat lights for my upcoming Birthday. My old bike boots are leaky even after sealing, and I have always hated the exposed laces hidden behind a strap, and the shortness of them leaves my shin open to hopping rocks and spray. So I finally went out and bought this seemingly overpriced boot!

I didnt want the full combat thing, cause most of my riding is done to and from work, and taking off/putting on the big boot seemed a bit much, so I went with the light.

I need to decide how to break them in short of soaking them in water, then wearing a day or two? Any suggestions? My usual way of breaking ANY boot in is wear the damn thing, quit complaining, tough it out and wear them. Any suggestions?

Don't forget your towel
    I got a pair of "regular" CTBs this spring. I think all you can do is wear them everywhere you go for a month or so and they'll start to break in. Mine are starting to free up after about 1500 miles and many days of wear.
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

Love my Combat Lites. You have to just wear them. Breaking in nicely.
    That being said, I should have gotten a half size smaller. When they say they run approx. a 1/2 size larger than American shoes...that is an understatement.
    Killer boot, though!
    "Should I bring my shoes...so I have them?
    -Saul Rosenberg

Exclamation Not entirely waterproof

I wore a pair of Combat Touring Boots for about six years. It takes some long days for wearing them on and off the bike before they are OK on the bike. They aren't entirely waterproof. You can treat them with Fiebing Snow Proof and get reasonable watertightness. Water can come in the seams if you don't treat them. To get around this, I carried a pair of Gore-Tex sock liners. If the weather turned sour, I could slip them on and keep my feet dry.

The Combat Touring Boots don't come anywhere near as waterproof as my Oxtar Matrix boots. These boots have a Gore-Tex lining. They are also easier to break-in and fit better for me on my K12RS. For some reason, Oxtar boots are now called TCX boots. New Enough has them and can help you find the right fit.

Combat Lights here too:)

I ride a GSA1200 and my new Combats are about two months old now. I love the boots and I'm size 12. Stiff at first and still so, but I changed my shift lever to a Hammerhead +10 and this did the trick entirely. NO more shifting issues, even with the new boots. They will break in. I rode with them dry, no conditioner for weeks, until just yesterday when I put on "KIWI Mink Oil Paste", very lightly applied for the first application and will do more later. They look better than new. I also bought "KIWI Water Pruf", for my water days out there. I will apply it before any departure from the area, on longer rides. Both sell at WalMarts for 4.50$ a can, which will last a long time. I use my hands to rub the stuff into the boots and wipe them down with a soft cloth afterwards. The Mink actually helps my hands, too. A natural softener. Both products are like a heavy wax paste and apply well, by KIWI, a long time shoe/boot care vendor. Randy"Polarbear"

Jfixit
    It takes a long time, just wear them like you normally do. I keep snow seal on mine and have excellent results with their ability to keep my feet dry even in all day rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT View Post
    Love my Combat Lites. You have to just wear them. Breaking in nicely.
    That being said, I should have gotten a half size smaller. When they say they run approx. a 1/2 size larger than American shoes...that is an understatement.
    Killer boot, though!
    I have to agree... I am a size 12 so thats what I ordered. I put em on and they felt great but they seem to take up more surface area all around than they should. They felt comfortable and roomy but I should have sent em back for 11 1/2. I've posted about shifting problems that I found were related to the extra large size, to which PolorBear has modified his shift lever to overcome. I just stopped wearing them . They are also getting damaged from the Exhaust sheild on my left heel. Expensive lesson. I also purchased a pair of Aerostitch summer riding gloves. They are really nice but even in XL they are too tight at my finger tips. Its hard being a sasquatch
    Own: '13 K1600GT & '95 K75
    Owned: R1200GSA, GS & K1300GT

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I ride a GSA1200 and my new Combats are about two months old now. I love the boots and I'm size 12. Stiff at first and still so, but I changed my shift lever to a Hammerhead +10 and this did the trick entirely. NO more shifting issues, even with the new boots. They will break in. I rode with them dry, no conditioner for weeks, until just yesterday when I put on "KIWI Mink Oil Paste", very lightly applied for the first application and will do more later. They look better than new. I also bought "KIWI Water Pruf", for my water days out there. I will apply it before any departure from the area, on longer rides. Both sell at WalMarts for 4.50$ a can, which will last a long time. I use my hands to rub the stuff into the boots and wipe them down with a soft cloth afterwards. The Mink actually helps my hands, too. A natural softener. Both products are like a heavy wax paste and apply well, by KIWI, a long time shoe/boot care vendor. Randy"Polarbear"
    Back when I was in the army I used mink oil on 'real' combat boots and it did wonders for those!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Back when I was in the army I used mink oil on 'real' combat boots and it did wonders for those!
    How would mink oil relax the combat lights? Personally I can't imagine how these boots would possibly fair in combat Flat footed, non breathing velcro fastened pontoons? Why do they call them "Combat..." in the first place?

bmaynard

Nice alternative

I was also looking for the perfect boot and was considering the Aerostich boots. Reading reviews on boots on various sites, one reviewer commented that out of all the boots he's tried, his favorite was still his tried and true Danners. Bought a pair of them and they are the most comfortable boot I've had. Zippered side, Gortex lined, light and fits great right out of the box. They may not be big name or have a lot of buckles and stuff, but I can buy three pairs for the price of the Aerostich. I believe mine are 8" Telson and are also very comfortable when not riding and easy on off with the zipper.

I ride in Alaska and northern Canada

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    I've had a pair of Aerostich CTB-L boots for about a year. They feel fine, and fit well. They're not waterproof to the extent that you can go wading in them, but I've had no problems with soggy toes from riding in the rain. I've also got an Aerostich Roadcrafter, so there's not really much opportunity for water to get into the boots.

My "real" boots are Red Wings, but wholly unsuited for motorcycling, especially travel.
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bmaynard View Post
    I was also looking for the perfect boot and was considering the Aerostich boots. Reading reviews on boots on various sites, one reviewer commented that out of all the boots he's tried, his favorite was still his tried and true Danners. Bought a pair of them and they are the most comfortable boot I've had. Zippered side, Gortex lined, light and fits great right out of the box. They may not be big name or have a lot of buckles and stuff, but I can buy three pairs for the price of the Aerostich. I believe mine are 8" Telson and are also very comfortable when not riding and easy on off with the zipper.

I ride in Alaska and northern Canada
    The Danners Site is showing a comparable price to the combat lights... However, I agree that they look like a much better all around comfortable, durable, ankle proctecting boot. Unfortunatley I own the areostitch and have to find another use for them.

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    My usual way of breaking ANY boot in is wear the damn thing, quit complaining, tough it out and wear them. Any suggestions?
    You said it!

The combat touring boots, Sidi actually, are thick and stiff - as they should be. I actually had trouble shifting when they were new. Really good quality, comfortable, waterproof and warm (hot in summer). Also, they fit under you denims, and they excell as off road boots as well. I would have liked a shin plate for more protection.

Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

I agree that I need to wear them more to bring them into my comfort zone and soften them up. The quality is great and they are quick to gear up. They are just too big and that is partly my fault for not sending them back to try a size smaller but they didn't feel to big when I slipped into them and it would have taken longer than my pateints could afford. I only found out after that they wern't comfortable to shift with because they felt so much bigger on the bike and by that time I had marked them up because the heel was rubbing on the Exhaust sheild behind the left peg. So.... anyone thinking of buying these, especially large appendaged men, (or women ) Try them first.

Quote Originally Posted by CWaterous View Post
    How would mink oil relax the combat lights? Personally I can't imagine how these boots would possibly fair in combat Flat footed, non breathing velcro fastened pontoons? Why do they call them "Combat..." in the first place?
    Since I've never been in combat, I couldn't tell you! I was a Cold-Warrior.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad