Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Helmet advice please!

  1. #31
    Registered User thompsonr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Topeka Kansas
    Posts
    390

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by gabentx View Post
    Hey...so just to restate the problem...after about 4 months of riding it seems that the face shield won't stay up at any speeds over about 45-50mph now and is getting worse. I went to HJC's website and all warranty work has to be done through the dealer.

    I went to Lone Star BMW (where I bought it) and after telling them the problem they tried to tell me face shields weren't meant to be up at speed I said well then all the helmets I've had for 15 years must've been unique. Anyway, they're really nice there so we were talking about it and she called up HJC. After confirming the problem HJC said they would do an RMA for it but that means that I'd be without helmet for a while so no riding. As a compromise, what Denise & Crew did was have HJC send them a new shield & side piece and then she got a new one off the shelf and we swapped those pieces out with the ones on mine to see if that will solve it.

    I looked at the old parts and didn't really see that much wear down on the parts other than on the faceshield knob itself so I'm concerned it's just a bad design but I'll test it out with the new parts and see if it happens again.

    I'd love to know if others have the same problem......
    Mine is only a few weeks old and I bought it over the internet Thats going to be the rub here I will also contact HJC and see what awaits me...Mine stayed up fine till last ride then couldnt make it stay up at any speed over 40. Visor that is...........
    R and R

  2. #32
    glennhendricks
    Guest

    I'm happy with my Scorpion

    I have a Scorpion full face and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Comfortable, good vision (although I had to put an electrical tape sun visor on the shield) vents are ok, just a tad noisy.

  3. #33
    Registered User marcopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    654
    Last year I replaced my Arai Quantum/f with an HJC AC-12 Carbon. I swore I'd never get another Arai until they make replacing the faceshield significantly easier. The HJC is lighter (carbon fibre construction), DOT and Snell 2005 certified, and has an incredibly easy system for changing faceshields. It's also less expensive than an Arai and has very good fit and finish.

    I believe you get what you pay for, but if two competing helmets are each DOT/Snell certified, is the more expensive one "safer" than the less expensive one? I don't think so, but it may be better built, with more features and fit better. No helmet is a bargain if it doesn't fit properly, or is uncomfortable.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

  4. #34
    gabentx
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonr View Post
    Mine is only a few weeks old and I bought it over the internet Thats going to be the rub here I will also contact HJC and see what awaits me...Mine stayed up fine till last ride then couldnt make it stay up at any speed over 40. Visor that is...........
    I'll let you know what happens if you keep me informed....I'm thinking that's its a design flaw but only time will tell....

  5. #35
    Registered User 135923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by gabentx View Post
    I'll let you know what happens if you keep me informed....I'm thinking that's its a design flaw but only time will tell....
    I have the HJC CL-SP and I just bought the CL-MAX modular on closeout and both of them slam shut at anything over 40 or 45 mph. I like the helmets otherwise they are comfortable for me and they fit my fat head but the shutting is starting to get really annoying.

  6. #36
    Republic of Texas
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    League City (Houston), Texas
    Posts
    2,356

    Shoei Multitec

    OK, I took my new Shoei Multitec on a 1,960-mile shakedown ride this past weekend (Houston to Orange to Anthony to Alpine to Del Rio to Houston).

    Bottom line - great helmet . . . although of course not the cheapest helmet.

    Very comfortable, with no hot spots right out of the box (seems to have a slightly different interior shape than my Shoei X-11, with a little more room in front of my nose). Probably will need little, if any, fine-tuning of the hard foam. The first day it was on my head for about 17 hours and still felt good at the end. Eyeglass frame cutouts (slots) in the interior side foam are very convenient. Uses the same facehshields as the X-11. Fit and finish, and quality of construction seem excellent. Good air flow, with a noticeable difference when you open and close the vents. Also, the vents are much more intuitive as to whether they are open or closed than some of the vents on the X-11. The flip-up mechanism works very well, opens easily (and stays open), and locks securely. The release latch (in the front near the bottom) is easy to find and use with gloves on, and released easily with no need to fidget with it to open helmet. Helmet is fairly quiet, even out in West Texas where the speed limit is 80 mph . . . I even got to comparison test it on one leg when I forgot to put in ONE ear plug (EAR Classic tapered foam), so I could easily compare the noise level with and without ear plugs.

    Last edited by BeemerMike; 06-25-2008 at 05:58 PM.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

  7. #37
    FatChance
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    OK, I took my new Shoei Multitec on a 1,960-mile shakedown ride this past weekend (Houston to Orange to Anthony to Alpine to Del Rio to Houston).

    Bottom line - great helmet . . . although of course not the cheapest helmet.
    +1 I recently "upgraded" from a HJC Symax to a bright yellow Multitec and am very happy with it. The latch mechanism is a major improvement, it is pretty quiet and the venting is really better. Before getting it, my favorite helmet was my Arai XD, but the Multitec is now my choice for any longer rides. The Shoei Multitec is the best flip-up helmet I've ever used. Expensive, but well worth it IMHO.

  8. #38
    Registered User thompsonr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Topeka Kansas
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by gabentx View Post
    Hey...so just to restate the problem...after about 4 months of riding it seems that the face shield won't stay up at any speeds over about 45-50mph now and is getting worse. I went to HJC's website and all warranty work has to be done through the dealer.

    I went to Lone Star BMW (where I bought it) and after telling them the problem they tried to tell me face shields weren't meant to be up at speed I said well then all the helmets I've had for 15 years must've been unique. Anyway, they're really nice there so we were talking about it and she called up HJC. After confirming the problem HJC said they would do an RMA for it but that means that I'd be without helmet for a while so no riding. As a compromise, what Denise & Crew did was have HJC send them a new shield & side piece and then she got a new one off the shelf and we swapped those pieces out with the ones on mine to see if that will solve it.

    I looked at the old parts and didn't really see that much wear down on the parts other than on the faceshield knob itself so I'm concerned it's just a bad design but I'll test it out with the new parts and see if it happens again.

    I'd love to know if others have the same problem......

    Well I guess when you buy a HJC helmet and have problems your on your own and if you got it on the net. as I did bend over. My response from HJC was to go buy a replacement part from local store should cost me $9.99 they said. My lid has less than 200 miles on it and I am to go buy parts. My last HJC.

    Here is their return email to me. Thank you for your enthusiasm in HJC.

    In response to your inquiry, I have no base plates for this model as a replacement part at this time. Please visit a local HJC dealer and have them order a set from there distributor. It should cost you about $9.99 for the kit.


    Thank You.

    Sincerely,
    Fritzie Pontillas
    HJCA Customer Service

    R and R

  9. #39
    MOA,RA,ABC,AMA,TT,MOAL brownie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    565

    Talking Shoei X-11

    Gotta tell y'all.................I'm a BIG X-11 fan....great venting, very quiet, fit & finish impecable....will replace soon due to age of helmet, prolly Multi.
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

  10. #40
    bobknowlton
    Guest

    Lid tips

    1. Don't buy a used helmet;

    2. Brands matter. The big companies don't dare build junk.

    3. Try them on at a dealer to find one that fits and looks right;

    4. Somebody else's #1 choice may not fit your head at all;

    5. Cycle World ticked off a lot of advertisers when they published a study that found minimal correlation between cost and safety.

    6. If it's a solid brand, looks good, fits right, and is light enough to wear all day, I don't care how much it costs.

    That's just me.

  11. #41
    2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Just above the Notch, NH
    Posts
    519
    Several posts here suggest that choosing between a flip up helmet and a full face is like choosing between life and death in a crash.

    If we are all going to be as safe as possible, we will all park our bikes tomorrow and not even go out of the house.

    Here in N.H. I see most riders without any helmet. Hey, "live free or die"

    I feel very protected with my Nolan 102, and that may be a false impression (according to some). But I adhere 100% of the time to ATGATT, and am WAY ahead of the t-shirt and flip-flop crowd.

    John
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

  12. #42
    gabentx
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonr View Post
    Well I guess when you buy a HJC helmet and have problems your on your own and if you got it on the net. as I did bend over. My response from HJC was to go buy a replacement part from local store should cost me $9.99 they said. My lid has less than 200 miles on it and I am to go buy parts. My last HJC.

    Here is their return email to me. Thank you for your enthusiasm in HJC.

    In response to your inquiry, I have no base plates for this model as a replacement part at this time. Please visit a local HJC dealer and have them order a set from there distributor. It should cost you about $9.99 for the kit.


    Thank You.

    Sincerely,
    Fritzie Pontillas
    HJCA Customer Service


    Just an update on my HJC Symax II, after getting them to replace the face shield & mechanism, I took it out and the face shield still will not stay up...right now it's at about 70mph or so, but that's where the last one started at and got worse so I'm assuming this one will as well....so my 2 cents says it's just a bad design.

    If you like to ride with the chin-bar down but the face shield up....don't buy this helmet!


    P.S. WOOHOO!! MY 100th post!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •