Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: ATGATT Questions

  1. #16
    98dakota
    Guest

    Atgatt

    Teknic makes a great jacket that is not only warm when you need it but the liner becomes a mesh jacket. I also have a Tourmaster mesh jacket, very good but not as versatile.

    I want to take exception to a comment made in an earlier post. Trying something on at a dealer's showroom and ordering it on the net is bush. I order all the time from the net but I also support my local dealer when I can. We all want to keep these guys in business so they will be there when we need them

  2. #17
    Republic of Texas
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    League City (Houston), Texas
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by 87802 View Post
    I want to take exception to a comment made in an earlier post. Trying something on at a dealer's showroom and ordering it on the net is bush. I order all the time from the net but I also support my local dealer when I can. We all want to keep these guys in business so they will be there when we need them
    I have to agree. Nothing illegal about it, of course, but it just seems to be bad form. If you are going to avail yourself of the dealer's service and stock to determine your correct size, then you should be willing to pay the dealer for this service by buying from the dealer. If you want to go the mail order/internet route, fine, but then order the size(s) you think are correct, and then return/exchange until you get the right fit.

    Frankly, to me it's one thing to be thifty . . . but quite another to be cheap. IMHO.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

  3. #18
    ltljohn LTLJOHN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Haycock, PA
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    I have to agree. Nothing illegal about it, of course, but it just seems to be bad form. If you are going to avail yourself of the dealer's service and stock to determine your correct size, then you should be willing to pay the dealer for this service by buying from the dealer. If you want to go the mail order/internet route, fine, but then order the size(s) you think are correct, and then return/exchange until you get the right fit.

    Frankly, to me it's one thing to be thifty . . . but quite another to be cheap. IMHO.
    Must be nice to have money leaking out of a faucet somewhere. If someone can save some money by shopping wisely and that allows them to ride well equipped it is no reason to call them bush, cheap or bad form. It is attitudes like that make people call BMW riders uppity, snobbish, boorish, self-rightous etc......IMHO
    USN Retired
    '02 R1150 RT

  4. #19
    Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adams, Wisconsin
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    You should take a good look at the TourMaster and Olympia lines.

    Both offer style, great fabrics and colors, and great construction, and of course, good value.

    Even my local BMW dealer handles these lines in addition to the BMW apparel.ts

    If you cannot shop locally, give him a shout.

    www.nicksbmw.com

    Good Luck and ATGATT!
    I just bought some new Olympia pants and a reflective vest from the dealer you mentined. They are good quality, and very good value. The pants kept my legs very dry in the Great Wisconsin Deluge we had this past weekend when I rode home from work in a torrential rain.

    Tourmaster is pretty good stuff as well but I felt as thought the zippers were cheaper quality than the Olympia.

  5. #20
    Republic of Texas
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    League City (Houston), Texas
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by ltljohn View Post
    Must be nice to have money leaking out of a faucet somewhere. If someone can save some money by shopping wisely and that allows them to ride well equipped it is no reason to call them bush, cheap or bad form. It is attitudes like that make people call BMW riders uppity, snobbish, boorish, self-rightous etc......IMHO
    Read my note a little closer. I did not say there is anything wrong with saving money by shopping online. I do it all the time. However, what I do not do is go down to the dealer to check out the merchandise the dealer is paying for to keep in stock, and use up the time of the salepeople (who are being paid by the dealer and/or work on commission), when I know I have absolutely no intention of buying anything from the dealer. I just feel that the dealer is not my free fitting room for some unrelated online order. This has nothing to do with uppity BMW riders.

    Shop online all you want. I certainly will. I just think it is bad form to intentionally let someone else provide you with free service at their cost. I don't call that "shopping wisely" . . . I call that taking advantage of others and being cheap. I am sure that dealers expect some of that kind of "shopper", but it does not make it right. JMHO.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

  6. #21
    crgrbrts
    Guest
    I agree with Mike. I believe it's just plain bad manners to take rude advantage of a small business person's time, facilities and resources while on a quest to save a few dollars

    That's not to say I advocate wasting money. Frankly, I can't afford to, so I have bought quite a few items online at advantageous prices. I do, however, do business with my local dealer regularly. My last purchase of riding gear was done at my neighborhood shop, for instance, at prices that were only marginally higher than I could have realized online (about the cost of a decent restaurant meal). I have found that helping to provide an income for the local dealership beyond the VERY occasional purchase of a motorcycle pays off in terms of friendly and efficient service, advantageous pricing at times and just plain good will. It's a nice relationship that I cannot establish by entering credit card numbers on an Internet order form.
    Last edited by crgrbrts; 06-09-2008 at 08:11 PM.

  7. #22
    kf4mat
    Guest

    Thanks all

    Okay, Thanks to all for a lot of good info. Now I have several sites I need to check out and hopefully I can get at the minimum a jacket sooner than later.

    Looks like I'm going to have to do some of the dreaded side work, something I despise. I play electrician at work enough without having to do it in my off time.

  8. #23
    Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    central Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by kf4mat View Post
    Okay first off I have to say it took me awhile to figure out what atgatt meant.
    Same here, Tom. It is so annoying when that duck keeps saying "Attgat!! Attgat!!" in those TV ads, too.

    Fred

  9. #24
    Rpbump USN RET CPO Rpbump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,003

    Smile

    I bought the Olympia hi-viz yellow jacket and Joe Rocket mesh pants with armor. The jacket was bought at the Daytona Bmw dealer during bike week and the pants were ordered over the internet. About $400 for both and in my opinion well spent. Ride Safe.

  10. #25
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,533
    Ok everyone, now just calm down. I use online shopping for some items. some I buy at the dealer. its ok to save a buck without being cheap. but I also agree that you should support your Dealer. BMW motorcycles are expensive compared to the others available. so the cost of the correct gear is also going to be expensive. thats just part of the sport. so cowboy up.... lets have some fun in Gillette and stimulate the economy....

  11. #26
    kf4mat
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    BMW motorcycles are expensive compared to the others available. so the cost of the correct gear is also going to be expensive. thats just part of the sport.
    Uhhmmm, not sure I understand that logic. So if I'd bought a Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki I would have found gear in my budget? I don't think I'm trying to be anymore unsafe than you just because I can't afford top shelf at this time in my life. That's just my opinion though.

  12. #27
    kf4mat
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Same here, Tom. It is so annoying when that duck keeps saying "Attgat!! Attgat!!" in those TV ads, too.

    Fred
    Ohhh, so that's what he's saying

  13. #28
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,533
    Quote Originally Posted by kf4mat View Post
    Okay first off I have to say it took me awhile to figure out what atgatt meant. But then it finally hit me. Anyway, while I agree with the sentiment right now I'm having a hard time finding some of it that fits into the current budget.

    Take for instance, the Aerostitch Darien motorcycle jacket. I really wouldn't mind getting one in the Hi-Viz color scheme, but honestly I can't drop the $500 they are asking.

    Is there anywhere that sells riding gear in the more modest price range?

    Tom
    tourmaster....

  14. #29
    Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adams, Wisconsin
    Posts
    799
    No matter what your budget is that $300 pair of pants will look mighty cheap when the nurse is scrubbing the area with a really stiff bristled brush prepping you for the skin grafts.

  15. #30
    TDI Guru jasontdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Verona, WI
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by kreinke View Post
    No matter what your budget is that $300 pair of pants will look mighty cheap when the nurse is scrubbing the area with a really stiff bristled brush prepping you for the skin grafts.


    Ohhhhh....That leaves a mark in my head.....

    I raced bicycles for years and sliding across pavement at 40 mph on a bicycle in LYCRA isn't fun.....

    Makes me want to ride the bike with my BIKE gear!
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •