Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot On

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Spot On

Spot features four key functions that enable users to send messages to friends, family or emergency responders based on varying levels of need:

• Alert 911 - Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location SPOT sends one message every 5 minutes for one hour or until Help is canceled
    • Ask For Help - Request help from friends and family in your exact location SPOT sends one message every 5 minutes for one hour or until Help is canceled
    • Check-In - Let contacts know where you are and that you're OK - SPOT sends three identical messages to the SPOT service for redundancy
    • Track Progress - Send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using Google MapsÔäó
    • SPOT sends one message every 10 minutes for 24 hours or until SPOT is powered off

Website - Click Here

StatDawg and I each bought one of these units at Americade. We will be testing it out in the next few weeks. StatDawg and RedRider are head for the left coast and then on to Gillette. I will be testing mine in the Adirondacks, Catskills, Green and Berkshire Mountains.

Keep coming back for some progress reports. It might be just the device many of use have been looking for where there is no cell coverage and we want to keep families informed of our progress.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

2. 06-11-2008, 01:46 AM

Nice system. Dog and Red have a great adventure, Hi Paul. Bike is still down.waiting for a hall unit.
    Loonie-Tics
    BMW club
    Gone for now hope to see you all soon Michael..
    Lost children will be sold to MOA staff and trained to ride Harley's

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    I managed to get the unit registered and email addresses and telephone numbers loaded. Not a difficult process but reading of the small print is necessary.

Help available by phone during normal business hours.

Headed up to Lake George this morning. Will try to send a satellite signal during the ride.

It is actually able to keep track of over 200 emails/cell phones.

Ten profiles are allowed and each profile could have 20 phone numbers. Separate profiles might be used for
    gone riding
    gone fishing
    gone hiking

All of this must be done via computer before setting out!
    Click here.

SUCCESS! Looks like it does as advertised.

The first test was a success. Everyone I listed received either an email or a text message. The test was from a road near my house. I hit the check-in button, put SPOT in my riding jacket and got underway.

This weekend the Vermont MOV is picking up the tab for a chicken barbecue in Lincoln, VT. Will test it to, at and from the ride.

Statdawg - have you activated yours yet?
    Click here.

6. 06-13-2008, 01:01 AM

When I first read about SPOT, I thought it was a nice idea. Folks were saying that it provided piece of mind for the wives and husbands left at home. I thought that it was nice, but that my wife never worried about me when I was out riding. After some thought and some time, I sent the info link to her. I told her a bit about it, and that I thought she would not be interested since I send her text messages at every fuel stop.

Wrong!

Word came down from on high that this new item was deemed to be required equipment to be procured and activated forthwith.

She likes the SPOT tracking page as well as the automatic notifications.

If momma ain't happy........
    Chris
    05 R1200ST
    BMWMOA 126260

8. 06-13-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by chfite View Post
    When I first read about SPOT, I thought it was a nice idea. Folks were saying that it provided piece of mind for the wives and husbands left at home. I thought that it was nice, but that my wife never worried about me when I was out riding. After some thought and some time, I sent the info link to her. I told her a bit about it, and that I thought she would not be interested since I send her text messages at every fuel stop.

Wrong!

Word came down from on high that this new item was deemed to be required equipment to be procured and activated forthwith.

She likes the SPOT tracking page as well as the automatic notifications.

If momma ain't happy........
    I didn't activate the tracking feature since my kids complained about the costs of text messages. But I have tested and found the OK button to be useful.

This Sunday will be a real good test since I will be going through the Adirondacks and some of the notches in Vermont.

There are more features than are advertise like additional profiles on the website. Use profiles it is possible to have tailored messages for specific activities

• Out hiking
    • Riding my motorcycle to ... Alaska!
    • Ice fishing for Champ on Champlain
    • Canoing along the edge of Superior
    • Searching for French fries in Quebec

Each profile could have up to ten text messages or email addresses.

Anyone thinking of buying one I will add your name to an email list for the Vermont trip from Ballston Spa to Lincoln.

Click here.

Run SPOT run

The route for testing SPOT
    Click here.

I've been so busy I missed this thread!

I have a SPOT that I purchased a few months ago. When I took my ride around Lake Huron/Georgian Bay over Memorial Day weekend, I called SPOT and had them activate tracking. From there, you can created a "shared page" on their website where people can see your progress. It shows all of the "check-in" messages as well as all of the "track" messages that get sent out. I then sent the website link to a few people (family) and they were able to track my location the whole time I was on the road. Unfortunately the website only shows tracks within the past 24 hours, so the map is now empty. It really delivered peace of mind for some of my family who worry about my riding long distances, and they also enjoyed being able to "ride along" and see where I was. It also delivered peace of mind to me, since if I broke down I had an easy way to signal for help.

It's really a great product; I'm very happy with it!
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD

1flyer
    Any EAA members here? Take a look at this if you are going to Oshkosh this year. The unit is free if you sign up for a year of service.

http://www.airventure.org/2008/news/080529_spot.html

If it works there Vermont is just a walk down a country road.

What I like best is that SPOT is a satellite based system so cell coverage is not an issue.
    Click here.

SNOONE
    http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx. The manufacturers site with all the bells and whistles.

Likewise brought a SPOT a month ago and have tested it extensively around here. So far so good! Planning to test it further by taking it to and around the TransLabHighway counterclockwise sometime in July.

Gives my wife peace of mind by tracking me or "Spoting" me.

1) Only "OK" will send e-mails to whom you want to receive them.
    2) "Tracking mode" does not send e-mails and prevents cluttering the mails.
    3) "tracking" tracks will be send every 15 minutes and good for 24 hours, then repeats a new 24 hours
    4) Very important to place the device horizontally face up: tankbag or even underneath your rubberized duffle bag; must face the open sky; will not work too good if attached to yuour belt or jacket pocket.

It operates on simplex mode so transmitts only one way.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorradfahrer View Post
    Likewise brought a SPOT a month ago and have tested it extensively around here. So far so good! Planning to test it further by taking it to and around the TransLabHighway counterclockwise sometime in July.

Gives my wife peace of mind by tracking me or "Spoting" me.

1) Only "OK" will send e-mails to whom you want to receive them.
    2) "Tracking mode" does not send e-mails and prevents cluttering the mails.
    3) "tracking" tracks will be send every 15 minutes and good for 24 hours, then repeats a new 24 hours
    4) Very important to place the device horizontally face up: tankbag or even underneath your rubberized duffle bag; must face the open sky; will not work too good if attached to yuour belt or jacket pocket.

It operates on simplex mode so transmitts only one way.
    Good point on "tracking" mode and positioning the unit. I put my SPOT in my tankbag (map window area). The first day and beginning of the second day I was losing some of the tracking points. Turns out as it slid down toward my body, I was blocking it from getting a signal. I ended up using the belt clip part and clipped it to the map I had in the map window, which kept it at the top fo the bag away from my body. I never lost a signal after that.
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD

Good for you JDMETZGER...

Also be aware that when camping in dense woods with trees blocking your view south or you don't have an opening...SPOT will not track or "spot" you. It will retain your previous attempt until you hit a open area. This could mean tomorrow when you break camp and hit the road. Satellites are not able to penetrate dense woods, deep valleys; Fijords...it's not a Garmin Zumo or equivalent GPS that has higher sensitivity reception utilizing our and Russias satellites. You definitely cannot use SPOT indoors. It has it's limitations but still is cheap insurance. If you do nothing but slab ride....then it is PERFECT.

Map Posting..?

Paulbach...

Excuse my ignorance how did you post your/the maps onto the thread..? Thanks