Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: North to ALASKA!

Fuel is $4.59 a gallon in Tok. It has been running between $1.42 to $1.59 a liter on the Alaska Highway and Cassiar.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

More Road Report

The Alaska Highway is in pretty good shape north of Watson Lake, as far as Tok, except for the stretch from Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek. Here there are frequent road breaks (gravel filled) and plenty of frost heaves and potholes to keep everybody on their toes.

There are several construction zones, varying from very good compacted gravel to a few with more loose stuff on top than a motorcyclist would usually like.

Between the border and Tok, in Alaska, there is a 42 miles stretch of construction zone. Most of it is just a bunch of survey work and grade stakes. One 4 mile stretch has a pilot car and work going on. Big trucks! Graders! Big back hoe. They are tearing out part of the road, laying petromat (or equivilent, and filling several inches above the petromat. Only part of this 4 mile stretch was active construction in about 3 spots. BUT - from the survey stakes this looks like a stretch that will be torn up in spots all summer.

The bikes - two 1997 F650 Funduro's are running well and working great. No mechanical issues since I had to tighten the connection on the starter relay on Voni's bike on day one of the trip.

Camping has been cool at night - some in the forties, a few in the 30s, one night had a low of 29. It must be psychological because I felt really cold at 29 and felt warm and cozy last night at 31. Oh well - we are equipped for it.

4 layers of riding gear, tools, sleeping stuff, tent, and a couple of changes of clothes. Priorities!!!!!

More as it happens.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Thumbs up Have a great trip!

I wish I were heading that way too! It has been 5 years since I travelled to Alaska and it was a great trip. Happy sMiles!

http://alvingerstner.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by alvingee43; 06-08-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Bo Griffin
    I did a little camping last night at the Red Earth Rally in OK. It got down to 74. I almost had to get under the covers. I may be too spoiled to follow your lead. It sounds like y'all are having a great time regardless of the winter-like climate. It's good to be on this end of the computer. We're ready for our photos

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Camping has been cool at night - some in the forties, a few in the 30s, one night had a low of 29. It must be psychological because I felt really cold at 29 and felt warm and cozy last night at 31. Oh well - we are equipped for it.

4 layers of riding gear, tools, sleeping stuff, tent, and a couple of changes of clothes. Priorities!!!!!

More as it happens.

Valdez is a little slice of heaven!

We're camped right on the small boat harbor and stuffed with seafood after one of the most beautiful days of riding we've ever had!

Pictures here starting in Watson Lake:
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...20to%20Valdez/

and Paul's here:
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ka%20Paul%202/

Sure wish we could bring you along. If we weren't having so much fun, I'd write more.

But, we are

Voni
    sMiling

Voni AND Paul
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Yesterday was a "grueling" day. We rode the entire 112 miles from Beaver Creek to Tok. The road was crappy; lots of frost heaves, broken pavement, and short gravel breaks.

But the reason the day was so short was that our next destination was Valdez. The weather forecast for yesterday was for some rain in Valdez, but more importantly, for snow possible at Thompson Pass.

In snow at Thompson Pass is pretty much where a motorcyclist doesn't want to be. It had 900 inches of snow one year. It had 62 inches of snow in 24 hours a few years back.

So we rode a short day yesterday and then rode to Valdez today. Camped right on the water's edge (self, watch getting out of the tent - the first step is a big one). A few clouds in the pass, clear blue skies at Valdez, and 10 degrees warmer than yesterday.

Which illustrates why I include weather in a presentation about trip planning for the riders at Camp Gears.

We're off to Alaska Leather in Anchorage tomorrow. Need tires!

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post

Voni
    sMiling

Voni AND Paul
    It is a beautiful ride heading into Valdez. We had rain and loose sand, but were still able to enjoy the view. The all day glacier tour out of Valdez is nice. They have soft seats

Here is Debbie near Valdez in 1988 This stretch of road was in great shape.
    Last edited by Lee; 06-09-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Great pictures

After viewing all your pictures I am sure I have to go back to Alaska. Thanks for posting them and keep sMiling!

Bo Griffin

What town?

I sure agree about Valdez
    I'm sure I could tell from the pictures (if I could see better), but I can't determine which town this is that y'all went through. Can you help me?
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t=DSCF0142.jpg

and Paul's here:
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ka%20Paul%202/

Sure wish we could bring you along. If we weren't having so much fun, I'd write more.

But, we are

Voni
    sMiling

Voni AND Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bogriffinrides View Post
    I'm sure I could tell from the pictures (if I could see better), but I can't determine which town this is that y'all went through. Can you help me?
    Looks like Skagway to me.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by bogriffinrides View Post
    Sure is Skagway.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Bo Griffin

Thumbs up Skagway

I thought that might have been Skagway. I have spent the night in Haines and I like that area. I will have to visit Skagway in the future. I have heard that it gets somewhat overwhelming when the cruise ships get to town. I like to avoid that sort of thing.

Have you seen my good friend Fletcher Clark today? He was on his way from Glennallen to Valdez. He's from Mississippi and rides a GS Adventure. His friend B.B. is up at Fairbanks along with Jack Shoalmire (from Tulsa). Fletcher said that the Aerostitch group is also up at Fairbanks headed toward Prudhoe. It sounds like y'all are among plenty of folks up that way. Be sure and wave at all the friendly bikers.

Sure is Skagway.

Voni
    sMiling

Paul or Voni
    How many miles did you get out of your tires and which town did you buy your tires?
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Paul or Voni
    How many miles did you get out of your tires and which town did you buy your tires?
    Now you've gotten me started with the tire story. I had MEFO 99 Adventure tires on my bike. A 50-50 dual sport tire - very good in gravel. Voni had a MEFO 99 on the rear and a TKC 80 (knobbier) on the front.

I had about 6,000 miles on mine - started in Texas. Voni had about 5,000 miles on hers - started in Kansas. My rear had maybe 1,000 left. My front had maybe 2,000 left. Either number would have me somewhere on the Alaska Highway heading south when I would need tires. Most likely in the middle of someplace, but not much of a place. I could have lasted to Edmonton or Calgary maybe but didn't intend to go that far east. We are headed to Olympia, Washington and Seattle looked like too big a gamble.

So I opted to change tires in Anchorage where I could get tires I wanted in the right sizes. I changed both my tires and Voni's rear tire. I installed Anakees on the rear of both bikes and put a TKC 80 knobby on the front of my bike.

We bought the tires from our friend Barb Smart at Alaska Leather. As the name implies they mostly sell leather gear - and textile gear - and sheepskin seat pads - but they also sell tires. Take your wheel off and they will install them. Decent prices too.

We did both tires on my bike one late afternoon, and I decided to do Voni's back tire the next day. Since the guy who installs tires wasn't there at the moment I mounted it myself. Now I've changed a few hundred tires by hand using tire irons, but had the opportunity to use their tire machine. With a few tips on the controls and a little help I dismounted the old and mounted the new.

Our F650s use tube type tires. A goofball (technical term for accomplished motorcycle technician) using a strange machine can do interesting things. Like - pinch the tube between the tire and rim, and not know it until there is no pressure in the tire the next morning. So I got to do it again by hand, the good old fashioned way. Everything is better now.

Sometime I'll write about curing the pesky exhaust leak - but that's another story.

Not bad mileage, and I thought Voni's front knobbie would go first. I would have changed early also, I don't remember much south of Whitehoarse for a place to get tires. BTW is George in Fairbanks still in business? I think Gearge was the owner's name of the BMW shop. Interesting guy, if not a bit odd
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878