Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: North to ALASKA!

North to ALASKA!

Studying maps and weather. Packing the last important items. You'd think we'd have done this enough that it would all fit.

But this time we're taking the F650's. More gravel road worthy for adventuring, but that means a new packing system.
    And chains instead of shaft drives which means Paul found space for different tools and spare parts. Sure is nice to have my mechanic with me. He's has been mounting tires and doing services on the bikes. Preventative maintenance that should provide trouble free sMiles.

We plan to be in Hyder, Alaska by next Friday so we have time to smell the roses along the way. Tenting when the weather allows.
    Internet where we find it. Motel with internet when we get desperate. Paul will carry his ThinkPad. I have a new Asus eee - a tiny thing with lots of internet power but not much memory. So we'll store pictures on the web and share them now and then.

Some of our friends are doing a 49 state ride in ten days. We'll help them celebrate next weekend.

Wish you all could join us. What fun we'd have!

Voni
    sMiling

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

RIDERR1150GSADV

Thumbs up

Enjoy your trip!!

Enjoy

We'll all be smiling along with your sMiles. Looking forward to the ride report.

Holly
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

We spent lots of time this morning trying to find the path that wouldn't result in running into those red and yellow blotches on the radar. Finally took off just after 11. Got great gas mileage with 40 mph tail winds!

Took the red and blue roads on the map. Finally, as we neared Plainville, KS Paul saw a Mom and Pop motel and suggested we stop. Turned out that was a great suggestion. There were tornado watches in the area, and as we watched the weather channel we heard of baseball size hail and tornadoes on the ground south and west of us!

As I started to move my bike to the room, my starter just clicked.

TRAUMA! But, wait. I have my mechanic with me. Turns out it was a loose connection at the battery. No worries.

Tomorrow's another day.

Voni
    sMiling

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Wish you all could join us. What fun we'd have!

Voni
    sMiling

Yeah, we wish we could join you! Have a super trip! We'll have to settle for ride reports and pictures...
    Dan

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Really looking forward to the debrief in Gillette. Of course you could post a few shots here as you go along.

What a great trip. Looking forward to following along. Right not it looks like lots of rain across western Montana and Idaho if you're heading up that way. Let's hope it passes for which ever route you take.

Yellowjacket

And the fun begins

Sounds like you're already having fun. If you have any questions or need any help when you get into Alaska, give me a call. I sent you a private e-mail with my number in it. Ride safe!

Sure do appreciate all the good wishes!

We sure are having fun!

Saturday morning was blue sky crystal clear. The only trouble was that the town had lost water pressure. At least nothing had blown away! 20 miles away we saw what was left after a touchdown. Toothpicks!

And now it's Sunday night. We're in Sheridan, WY camping again. Free internet!
    Blue skies and 60 degrees. Last night was south of Chadron, NE in a forest service campground. Cool sunny weather both days with just a short shower at Carhenge, so I didn't stop there for pictures.

The prarie has it's own special beauty though it's hard to capture in pictures.

Paul's electric vest isn't working so he's troubleshooting. We'll need it tomorrow! Highs in the 50's predicted, and scattered showers. Maybe we'll miss them all!

Gas in Gillette, WY was the cheapest we've seen at $3.59.

Paul just rode back in. All fixed.

Voni
    sMiling

Gerhard Pilz

The long camping trip

hallo Voni and Paul.

See that you two are doing well by traveling so far north.

Wish you Hals und Beinbruch,( ha ha)

Your friend from Huntley ,Illinois, BMW rider Gerhard.:

Gerhard, I can feel your hug all the way to Wyoming!

Thanks for the special wishes.

Voni
    sMiling

This is going to be a good thread to follow
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

If you come through Alberta, here are some road recommendations. Should you be at/around Glacier N.P. in Montana, take the Chief Mountain crossing into Aberta. Follow this road north to Pincher Creek, then Hwy 3 west a bit to Hwy 22(the cowboy trail) & north to Hwy 1(the famed Trans Canada) into Banff. West from there to Hwy 93(the Columbia Icefields Parkway) north to Jasper. The Parkway is spectacular, one of the finest roads there is. At Jasper, take Hwy 16 east toward Hinton, take Hwy 40 north to Grande Prairie. From there you are only about an hour or so from the start of the Alaska Highway. Just north of Dawson Creek take the old highway and cross the old curved bridge. I've yet to ride the Alaska but drive semi (double tankers)on it and the road is in good shape. In August my better half and I are riding our bikes up (finally). Fwiw, gas up every chance there is; the gas is trucked to the stations all the way from Edmonton and every now and again a station will be empty/closed. Speaking of gas, it will be expensive due to the distance it is trucked from. It is beautiful country and still wild in the way North America once must have been. Drive careful, medical help is a long (repeat very long) way from you. Wildlife is everywhere, the sheep in particular are not willing to move off the road even for the semis, never mind bikes so it is best not to ride dark. Having said that, this time of year there is very little dark either. Enjoy!

Way more pictures than any one needs

Thanks, Bo ; )

But, I can't take time to choose just the best right now ; ) We're having way too much fun!

Rode the 17 gravel miles to the Salmon Glacier. Something I've wanted to do for a long time. Last year, with Jim Shaw in his RED convertible was grand, and this was even better.

Left Hyder, rode up the Cassiar. Way beyond what words can describe. Gravel stretches were fine with our F650's and dry sunny weather.

Camped near Dease Lake. 31 degrees last night. Cozy in the tent. Just hard to get up and face the day. But Paul makes great campfire coffee.

Tonight we're in Watson Lake. Saw the sign forest, went to the Northern Lights Centre for a fabulous show about the size of space and about the Northern Lights. Almost as cool as the Marfa lights!

Tomorrow, maybe Whitehorse.

Free camping with internet - because we're riding BMW's.

The pictures stop in Hyder. More when we next have internet.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...%20Alaska%202/

Voni
    sMiling