Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Post photos of your vintage (pre-1970) BMW motorcycle

I look forward to see it...going to give Jack Wells a run for his money, huh??
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Not my bike, but I shot I took to show that the R75 was the first G/S. It says so right on the bike. OK, maybe an S/G.

1941 r12

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I look forward to see it...going to give Jack Wells a run for his money, huh??
    Nah, Jack and I are old buddies......

This is my 1941 R12......
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the Road

I want one!

Where in the h@#* did you find these bikes?.....not my business but if I were to buy one needing a little work, what kind of coin-of-the-realm are we talking about?

These machines are amazing.......

1925 R32 plus a reply

Quote Originally Posted by terryjj1 View Post
    Where in the h@#* did you find these bikes?.....not my business but if I were to buy one needing a little work, what kind of coin-of-the-realm are we talking about?

These machines are amazing.......
    Terry,

And, the RUN. I ride them.

This photo is of me riding my 1925 R32 taken 4 years ago, in front of my shop.

If you want to see the collection, go to www.benchmarkworks.com and click on the museum to see what I own.

I have been slowly collecting and restoring these bikes over the last 35 years.
    I have found most all of them here in the USA, through trades, luck, cash and more luck.
    Of course, they were all unrestored, in pieces, in boxes when I got most of them.
    Buying one, well let me give you some advice.
    Any 1951 - 1969 BMW is the best thing to go for, if you are new at this. Mainly because almost everything is available new. Pre 1950 BMW's parts are sporadic, and some of the reproduction parts that are available are of poor quality. As far as buying one that "needs a little work" be it post or pre war, is usually wishful thinking, as far as it's condition. Keep in mind in the long run, it is far cheaper to buy a restored bike, (that has documentation, showing all the work and parts put into it, and who did the work) and pay the big bucks, that it is to buy one in a box, and restore it yourself or pay some one to do it for you. I do this work for a living. The average R50 - R69S, by the time you have painted it, done all the mechanical work, bought all the parts, and paid the labor, you will have 20K in it. Sadly, the average selling price for a R50 - R69S is $10 - $16 K these days. So you can see how this works out, money wise. And if you think $10 - $16 K is a lot, an R12 sells for $20 to $25K or R75 from WWII sells for $30K - $45K or more these days for a good running, restored one.

My 1936 R17

Guys,

This is my 1936 R17. The photo was at the Return to Shilloh Rally in Tn, in 2006. They are quite rare. They made only 434 of them, between 1935 and 1937. It is an overhead valve 750. For it's era, is is very fast, and was considered the ultimate Gentleman's sport bike. It was also the most expensive motorcycle made in Europe at the time. It cost more than new automobiles of the era. (which is why so few of them were made. It will run right at, (but not quite) 100 miles an hour. The brakes are the same drum brakes as an R12 however, so when you apply the brakes at any speed over 60 mph is starts to slow down, and then the brakes get hot, and it just keeps going! You have to be very careful with it.
    I rode this bike from Sturgis, Mississippi to Barber's Museum in Birmingham for the RA national several years ago. Won oldest bike ridden to the RA national. Had a lot of fun on the way, and on the way back. I've also ridden it to the Huntsville AL Chicken rally (Which is about 5 hours one way). The only real inconvenience is that it has no provision to automatically oil the roller rocker arms. So, every time you stop for gas, you must pull the hot valve covers, and squirt lubricant on the rollers of each rocker arm. (I use STP in a squeeze bottle, it sticks to the rollers for a long time) The spark advance is not automatic, it is manual.
    The left grip twists in the opposite direction from the throttle grip, and it controls the timing. You must ALWAYS remember to retard the timing before you attempt to kick start the bike. If you forget, the engine will kick back and make you think you broke your foot! As you take off from a standing start, you twist the left grip forward, and then just leave it in the full advance position as you ride. When you come to a stop however, the engine will race, even with the throttle closed, until you twist the advance back to the retard position, and then the engine will slow to a nice idle. This bike has two Amal Fischer slide carbs, one for each cyl. Amal (an English brand) was made under license in Germany by Fischer carb, hence the name on the float bowls, Amal Fischer.
    Oh yea, where did I find it? In lots of pieces, in Maine.... The left cylinder had been broken off the case, in a wreck, during WW II. Who knows why whoever owned it did not give it to the scrap drive in WWII but I'm sure glad they didn't! I managed to save the original case, and got it repaired, so the frame, original steering head ID plate and engine numbers match.

On the Road

Website

I had a look at your website......wow..you own all those bikes?.....is the museum open to the public?....one of my future trips is to SD but not for the rally..either before or after....would love to drop by and have a look see....

RE: Website

Quote Originally Posted by terryjj1 View Post
    I had a look at your website......wow..you own all those bikes?.....is the museum open to the public?....one of my future trips is to SD but not for the rally..either before or after....would love to drop by and have a look see....
    Yes, I do own all those bikes.

Yes, the museum is open to the public. Bench Mark Works business hours are 8am to 5 pm Mon - Thurs and 8am to noon on Fri.

But, I think you have the wrong Sturgis in mind. We are not located in SD, we are in MISSISSIPPI.

Since I live here at the shop, I'm generally here on weekends also.

Anybody interested in old BMW's is always welcome.

Ole Grey

I hope I did it right

It looks like I did

Vech did an outstanding job on the drive train and Holt BMW got the sheet metal all fixed up and finished. I have about 1,500 miles on the restoration and have been invited to Amelia Island this year. Yep its a rider but it does spend its off time in my living room with three of its brothers.

Just can't get enough

One last shot

On the Road

Trip To Miss

Well, I'll have to make it to Mississippi then.....I wish i had one of these bikes.....

1939 r23

Here is my '39 R23, a 250cc prewar single. Slow, but cute. Giant 3.00 x 19 tires..

Notice that the frame is not one piece. The the frame completely bolts together.

Go over to the side car form, I put two photos of two of my side car rigs there.

From the Redmond Rally

Here are a couple pics of my 1928 R52, taken by Visian at the Redmond Rally this year. (Don't look at the non-ATTGATT attire; I had just washed the dust off the bike and was returning to the Vintage Display.)

But to get back to Vech's old bikes, here's his R12 sidecar rig getting some use this past spring:

(That's Mark and Esthi Huggett, who had just tied the knot at Vech's Spring Rally. I don't know what he has planned for 2011, but I can't see how it can top this.)
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Another R52

This is my 1928 R52, just like Darrel's. The brass plate on the front fender is the original dealer's plate, that was put on the bike, when it was sold, new.
    And, yes, all the numbers match on this bike also.