Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scratched a new helmet

Quote Originally Posted by rideoregon View Post

But this business of making sure "to ride my students" and "not tolerate helmets hung on rear view mirrors, left on seats, etc." seems excessive. Not TOLERATE where a helmet is placed? Really? Has MSF come to that? If so, I hope it's also insisting on ATGATT, even with the Harley Rider's Edge MSF program. Good luck with that.

That insistence on keeping helmets off seats and mirrors is not so much an MSF thing, as it is a "this independent program owns these helmets, and doesn't want to buy new ones because of your carelessness or ignorance" thing. if you want to put your $500 helmet on your saddle, and let it fall off, that's your choice. I will suggest reasons why you don't want to do that- but at that point it is entirely your decision.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by rideoregon View Post

But this business of making sure "to ride my students" and "not tolerate helmets hung on rear view mirrors, left on seats, etc." seems excessive. Not TOLERATE where a helmet is placed? Really? Has MSF come to that? If so, I hope it's also insisting on ATGATT, even with the Harley Rider's Edge MSF program. Good luck with that.
    It's not MSF, it's me. What's your problem with teaching riders best practices. I won't tolerate a lot of stupid stuff, like hanging helmets on mirrors. I wouldn't want a dozen eggs hanging up there either..

bearsfolks

Touch up paint?

Any reason not to go to an auto parts store and look for a small bottle of touch up paint in a color that's close to your helmet's?

Thanks for all of the input. I do understand the hard hit/possible damage issues. Luckily mine did not take a hard hit, just a roll around the ground. I also get the "shut up and ride" opinions too. In the end thats what I did. I was just frustrated with scratching a new purchase that I have very few miles on. It took me many years of riding to fully understand and appreciate good gear and many more years to be able to afford it. Please forgive me for trying to keep it nice for just a little while longer.

See you on the road
    Russ

seems to me that the impact of a helmet falling from seat height or so would be a much different impact than one being worn during a similar fall.

Somehow I suspect that finding an "expert" to examine a fallen helmet and determine it's continued protection would be a fools errand.

an instructor who stresses care of safety equipment is not a bad thing in my book. When I arrived for my last MSF ERC rangework, I placed my helmet on the lawn (seemed like a good safe spot) the instructor had me move it since the local fire ant activity had allegedly infested some helmets similarly placed.

Go to an auto parts store and buy a bottle of Scratch X from Meguiar's. It'll probably work.

7. 05-19-2008, 02:59 AM

RIDEOREGON
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post
    It's not MSF, it's me. What's your problem with teaching riders best practices. I won't tolerate a lot of stupid stuff, like hanging helmets on mirrors. I wouldn't want a dozen eggs hanging up there either..
    There's a difference between teaching best practices and "not tolerating" how one handles one's own gear. My dentist can teach me how the best way to floss, but the day he decides to "ride me" and "not tolerate" how I do it is the day I find a new dentist.

Heavy handed teachers are not generally the most effective ones.