Thread: Gettysburg and Lancaster, PA

Hybrid View

Gettysburg and Lancaster, PA

Does anyone have any recommendations on some good riding roads in those 2 areas or even advice on which roads to stay away from? I am visiting a friend in the area and am going to take 2.5 days additional to get in some riding time. I will be starting from and ending up in the Pittsburg/Greensburg PA area. My interest is in good riding and taking is some sights. I'm not familiar with the area at all. Thanks in advance.

From Pittsburgh/Greensburg you could travel the Lincoln Highway all the way east.

http://www.lhhc.org/museum/index.asp

Great murals and gas pumps along the way.

jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

If you have time for a ride thru the battlefields at Gettysburg (and like that history stuff) it is an awesome place.
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

Can't beat the Gettysburg battlefield, it's really something too see.
    Just to the east of Lancaster is Amish country. The towns of Bird in Hand, Intercourse, Blue Ball, Paradise, are just of a few of the villages that dot the Landscape. Route 30 (runs east to west) runs right through the area and it's a road to stay off of. Lot's of traffic. Just turn to the north or south and within a few hundred yards your in another world. Great roads........all of them, just be careful, these are not roads you can go speeding on ( lots of horse buggies), nor would you want to as there is much to see. If your hungry look for one of the Amish restaurants in the area, it's some of the best food you'll ever eat!

I would avoid Route 30 as it's some highway and city traffic depending on the area. The nicer roads would take you directly east out of Gettysburg over towards the Susquehanna River, then north to Lancaster. (as opposed to travelling northeast directly) Route 372 will take you across the river and there are nice back roads all through that area. On the western side of the river is the Indian Steps Museum right on the river which is a nice twisty road to get to. Susquehanna State Park on the eastern side of the is a nice stopping point with a great overlook and picnic areas.

If you have a GPS, just poke around the area until you are ready to bee-line to Lancaster. Lots of nice roads to explore.

Rally Rat
    I agree with avoiding Rt 30, although, depending on what you want to see, you'll probably be on it at some point. From Gettysburg, Rt 30 is ok most of the way to York, then cut over to 462, as 30 becomes 4 lane. In Wrightsville, head South on Long Level Rd., which follows the river, then take 624, then 425, (becomes Furnace Rd.) to 74 S, to 372 East across the river, then River Rd. heading north becomes 441 and will take you to Columbia, PA. 462 runs through columbia and will take you to Lancater, (through a bunch of towns on the way). In Columbia, if you are hungry, Prudhommes Lost Cajun Kitchen is a good bet, if you like Cajun food. Or you could run up 441 to 772, to Mount Joy, and check out Bube's Brewery, a micro brewer that is one of the oldest in the area, with an interesting past. Rt. 897 takes you up and arouind Lancaster County, some nice farm land without too many buggies to slow down for.

We did a covered bridge ride last summer, got to 8 bridges (I think) through some Amish farm land. PM me as to when you will be in the area, maybe I can show you around some, or if you rather explore on your own, give you some more routes to try.

Gettysburg and east to York and less so toward Lancaster are my "backyard." I can give you more specific advice on roads (west of Lancaster) coming east towards Gettysburg and York when I have a bit more time. When is your trip through the area?
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST