Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot Feet in Summer?

randyracer

Hot Feet in Summer?

While the BMW cylinders make great foot-warmers in the cold, in summer my feet get toasted, don't yours? Has anyone heard of a small fairing to go behind the cylinders to deflect heat from the feet in hot weather? I ride a GS 1200, and switch to sneakers for survival in the heat. This must be a common problem for BMW riders, yes? Thanks, Randy

BobFV1
    Never noticed it to be honest with you. Of course, I don't wear sneakers on the bike, either.

I always wear boots and find that they keep my feet from getting TOO warm in the summer. My theory is that they insulate my feet from the hot air off the cylinders.
    Just an opinion, I could be wrong.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel"
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

I don't notice heat to my feet on the GS at all. I sure did on my old R80RT, but not on this bike.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I wear smartwool socks and boots year round. They're not tucked behind boxer jugs, but I seldom feel overheated.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by randyracer View Post
    Has anyone heard of a small fairing to go behind the cylinders to deflect heat from the feet in hot weather?
    Yes, and I've actually seen them while on tour in Europe.

I think either Touratech or Wunderlich sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post
    Never noticed it to be honest with you. Of course, I don't wear sneakers on the bike, either.
    Same here.

randyracer

Thanks, Responders

Thank you very much, BMW friends. I'll look for the fairings. Maybe my boots are just too well insulated for summer, period. I'm surprised more riders do not mention this issue. I found it cooler to put my feet on the cylinders, even, however it was a warm summer out West two years ago. Did 2000 mile ride on 1150 GS rented from Chris at San Jose BMW, great guy and store.

Randy

randyracer

Foot deflectors

Found them at Wunderlich, thank you Alex Globalrider. They are meant to deflect rain/wind/weather from the feet. Do not look like they'd be much help with cylinder heat, however. Thanks very much for the lead, Alex.

Randy

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by randyracer View Post
    Did 2000 mile ride on 1150 GS rented from Chris at San Jose BMW, great guy and store.

Randy
    Hey - you rode the "mileage queen"! I rented that bike from Chris last September and rode it over to the Reno Air Races. Here it is somewhere around Kirkwood at the top of the Sierra. I think it had about 115K on it last Fall:

ArthurKnowles
    I use the BMW airflow 2 boots in 90 ~ 100 degree weather and my feet are always comfortable and cool. They are also quite good to walk in as well.

+1 for the airflow boots. They are very well ventilated.

I've never gotten heat from the cylinders. Ever. My guess is that it ain't the cylinder heads making your feet hot. When my feet are hot its because its fargin' hot outside.

My advice is to try some boots that allow airflow. I wear Oxtar (now TCX) Air Tech XCR boots for summer riding. At $200+ they're not cheap. They're made with a tightly woven fiber that lets a lot of air through. But they're GoreTex lined so the feet stay dry, too. Don't ask me how that all works, but it does: air gets through but rain does not. They're not as soft as an all leather boot, but certainly comfortable enough for walking around and all day wear. They're an excellent summer boot.
    Last edited by mistercindy; 05-15-2008 at 10:13 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

cyl heat

I only have 15 yrs on BMW's - many on this forum have double that - and no, cyl heat is not a problem for me on me feets....

Except if it is 100 or more, then I do feel a bit, but warm feet would be the least of my problems on such a day.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    I've never gotten heat from the cylinders. Ever. My guess is that it ain't the cylinder heads making your feet hot. When my feet are hot its because its fargin' hot outside.

My advice is to try some boots that allow airflow. I wear Oxtar (now TCX) Air Tech XCR boots for summer riding. At $200+ they're not cheap. They're made with a tightly woven fiber that lets a lot of air through. But they're GoreTex lined so the feet stay dry, too. Don't ask me how that all works, but it does: air gets through but rain does not. They're not as soft as an all leather boot, but certainly comfortable enough for walking around and all day wear. They're an excellent summer boot.

Great to hear! My Oxtar Jupiter 2 xcr boots are supposed to arrive tomorrow. They're the just-over-the-ankle-lace-up style, but certainly seem more protective than gym shoes or the like. And they have a heel. I hate not having a heel to hook on my pegs. And I found them on-line at several places as close-outs. I may have gotten the last size 43 (US sz 10) in the known universe, but pro'ly not, if anyone's interested.

But trust me, on a fully faired bike, like my RS, when you're stuck in rush hour traffic and it's 90+ degrees and 90% humidity, those cylinders aren't helping the cool-osity of the situation.

If it ever gets warm in Illinois again, I'll report back. As it stands today, electrics are still in order here.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?