Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GPS - Looking for an Opinion

If you want to use it on your bike, ideally I'd want one that is:

1) waterproof;
    2) withstands vibration (and not just for the first couple of weeks);
    3) has a display meant for viewing in direct sunlight;
    4) comes with mapping software you can load on your PC, or laptop, to allow you to plan routes along the roads you want and upload them to your GPS (any Garmin Nuvi unit I've seen simply allows you to pick a point to navigate to and gives you the choice of either faster time, or shorter distance);
    5) can be operated with a gloved hand; and
    6) has an internal battery.

In Garmin's lineup that probably means one of the Zumo's, or one of their marine chartplotters (276C, 376C, 478C).

Car units generally don't meet these criteria. That said, some people use them anyway.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I particularly love when my Garmin (and all of them do this) uses something like the "City Yard" as the location for a city. So using cities as route-points has you going down a highway, make a left at XYZ street, travel 300 feet, visit city-yard, turn around - head back to the highway. It's a bit frustrating, but can't think of how else they could define a city location, other than A location in the city.

As darencs sez - you can use intersections, but that becomes a PITA to lay out routes of any length with.

What really is needed - is for Garmin to adopt Google Maps as it's route plotting software. I know there are programs that will convert a Google Maps route to GPS waypoints, but the ones I've tried are problematic to say the best..
    If you're planning a route on your PC using Mapsource, it's very easy to pick a town/city as a waypoint (usually the town hall), then move it to the main drag, or whatever road you plan to drive through on. To move a waypoint, just right click on it using the waypoint tool in Mapsource and drag and drop it so it doesn't take you where you don't want to go.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by tkdan235 View Post
    Greenwald, I am considering the same thing. I currently use a 350 for my car. I purchased this mount for my bike: http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Mount...QQcmdZViewItem

My question is, how exactly are you hooking this gps up to your bike. I know it is 12 volts, my R75/5 is 12 volts, am I able to do the same?

Sorry for the slow response. I missed that you had even asked me a question.

Shame on me.

I have an auxillary port on my R1200RT that I plug an adaptor into, and then the power cord for the Nuvi into that. The Garmin is mounted to the bike via a RAM system off the clutch fluid resovoir.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 09-04-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Maybe I missed it, but what is your budget? That will be the deal breaker. Lots of great GPS's out there. I prefer the Garmin's, but you need to look at them all.

The Garmin's have a hidden cost. You need to pay for map up-grades. The Tom Tom does up-grades for free. I don't know about other brands. The NT maps for the Garmin are can be downloaded onto your PC or laptop, so you can use the computer to map out your routes, then load the route to the GPS.

And how are you going to mount it on your bike? That's an additional cost you need to think about. And you said something about swapping from your car to the bike. How easy is the unit to move back and forth?

I have 3 Garmin's and yes pay for the yearly map up-grades. I originally had (and still do) a Quest, which I swapped back and forth. Got to be a pain, so I left the Quest on the bike and bought a Nuvi for the truck.

So maybe you can spend more on a high end Garmin (or what ever you end up liking) or use the same dollars to buy two mid or low range units, one for the bike and one for the car.

Garmin Gpsmap 60csx

I have not seen anyone using the GPSMAP 60CSX. I mount it with a Ram-Mount, and love it. Waterproof, rugged, and can plan your routs on MapSource with ease. I think I paid around $300.00 about three or four years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dtcjem View Post
    I have not seen anyone using the GPSMAP 60CSX. I mount it with a Ram-Mount, and love it. Waterproof, rugged, and can plan your routs on MapSource with ease. I think I paid around $300.00 about three or four years ago.
    +1 on the 60CSX. It works great!
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    Airhead #10576

DeLorme PN-60 GPS

I recently put a DeLorme PN-60 on my R1150RT and offer the my experiences with it; overall, I'm happy.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...&section=10740

PROS: Price = $300 with full USA/Canada street-level mapping software, less than most; waterproof, lets you select a route on a computer, turn-by-turn, and download it into the GPS. Many other units give you the quickest/shortest choice only. When used "stand-alone" it only calculates shortest route. Very good "point's of interest" database built in. Fits in your pocket for off-bike navigation. DeLorme tech support is very good if you need it (I did!)

I added a RAM mount for $50, rechargeable battery for $15, 12V power cord for $20, and a 32GB Memory card for $20. Buttons can be worked with gloves, with the RAM mount it can be easily removed when desired. Using power cord permits backlight to be on contentiously for night riding. For a little over $400, this setup works well for me.

CONS: Screen is small but readable; there is an option to select turn-by-turn directions in large print, paging between this screen and map screen. The automatic "back-on-course" correction is so slow that I keep it turned off. It's easier to look at the map, see where you are, and where you ought to be.
    It's not the most user-friendly - but since it does so many things, there's a learning curve. Same applies to the "Topo North America" software.

I may be dense, but I still don't quite get the advantage (and justification of cost) for motorcycle specific units. I bought a Garmin Nuvi 255W for my car a couple years ago and then a RAM mount for my bike. I've done several trips with it including a just finished 1300 mile jaunt and had no issues. When it rains or is wet, I put a zip-loc over it. When it's really wet, I put it in my tankbag. I do understand (and would like to have) the ability to download mapquest routes directly to the gps, but an index card and map work just fine and I'd have to use a lot of those to make up the cost difference. Plus, the 255 has traffic which saved my rear going through Chicago!
    Aaron Spiegel
    '82 Moto Guzzi V50III
    '95 R1100RSL

Hi guys, it looks like you have resurrected one of the older threads on the GPS subject. In this months Best of Forum http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54079 there is a collection of some of the latest info. HTH, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Oh I forgot one feature I'd like to have - the xm/sirius receiver for weather. I saw these at Osh Kosh this year - we could have full weather updates on our beemers for just a couple thousand bucks!
    Aaron Spiegel
    '82 Moto Guzzi V50III
    '95 R1100RSL

Quote Originally Posted by dtcjem View Post
    +1 on the 60CX. It's not dumbed-down like the Zumo and Nuvi models. I like that the pages are full customizable to show the data I want, not what Garmin decided I should see.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by MAINERIDER View Post
    The automatic "back-on-course" correction is so slow that I keep it turned off. It's easier to look at the map, see where you are, and where you ought to be
    One more related con... If you are navigating a route and drive by your route stop point the PN-60 wants to route you back. If you also had automatic "back-on-course" correction turned on the GPS becomes useless until you stop and turn off navigation. I agree that keeping the back-on-course calculation off is best with this GPS on a bike. Hiking might be different.

There is a version of the PN-60 that comes with a SPOT device, such that the SPOT is controlled by the GPS. That might interest some folks.

Unlike my previous garmin unit, the PN-60 doesn't want to tell me I'm going 747 MPH. Also, for a while I had both the garmin and PN-60 units mounted on the bike. The PN-60 track logs were much more accurate than the garmin track logs. Example: http://www.snafu.org/gps/
    Compare the blue (DeLorme PN-60) vs the green (Garmin GPSMap 276C w/powered antenna). You can zoom in and out out and move around on the map to show more of the track logs.

Nuvi 500/550

I haven't seen anyone mention the Garmin Nuvi 500/550. Garmin site says it's waterproof (suitable for marine use) and suitable for MC use (does not mention vibration).
    The 500/550 (500 has 48 states and topo maps, 550 all north America w/o topo).
    The units are basic, no radio, no bluetoooth no enhancements (sorta like the old 2600 series Streetpilots), just a plain GPS.
    On Amazon right now they're going for under $280.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    +1 on the 60CX. It's not dumbed-down like the Zumo and Nuvi models. I like that the pages are full customizable to show the data I want, not what Garmin decided I should see.
    From online pics it looks like the screen is smaller than a standard 3.5" Garmin unit (specs are 2.7" screen). Is it easy to see on a bike?
    Aaron Spiegel
    '82 Moto Guzzi V50III
    '95 R1100RSL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul 56330 View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention the Garmin Nuvi 500/550. Garmin site says it's waterproof (suitable for marine use) and suitable for MC use (does not mention vibration).
    The 500/550 (500 has 48 states and topo maps, 550 all north America w/o topo).
    The units are basic, no radio, no bluetoooth no enhancements (sorta like the old 2600 series Streetpilots), just a plain GPS.
    On Amazon right now they're going for under $280.
    REI has them for $250
    Aaron Spiegel
    '82 Moto Guzzi V50III
    '95 R1100RSL