Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GPS - Looking for an Opinion

larrydk

zumo zumo zumo

I'm a die hard Zumo lover. Great tool, easy to use, versatile.

I too use mine mostly in the car, about 20% on my bike. The major benefit is the water/shock proof ability of the unit for motorcycle use.

Highly reccommend

I just ordered a Zumo 450 from Amazon.

Right now they have it for $429.99

I couldn't beat the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    I too contemplated the myriad of GPS units on the market, before deciding to purchase the Garmin Nuvi 350.

While designed for in-car use, it is also portable due to it's ion battery, and has a 12v power source as well, which I could plug into my R1200RT.

I took it with me just last week for a 2,200+ mile ride to "The Dragon," as well as other roads in the Smoky Mountains range.

I kept it visible inside my map case atop my tank bag in good weather, and had a waterproof box along (available thru Pelican at camping stores) in case I needed to view it during rain.

Being on the tank bag provided plenty of 'vibration-proofing' and I had no problems whatsoever using it. Saved my butt a couple of times after a few wrong turns in the mountains.

It has spoken instructions and a headphone jack, so I could plug it into my helmet intercomm system (ChatterBox) and listen to instructions as I rode, at any speed.

Here's the icing on the cake: bought it, brand new with the latest City Navigator NT mapping, from Amazon.Com for $243.00 .

That included home charger, 12v charger, carrying case, mounting brackets (for car) and USB cable for computer link up. It also includes an MP3 player and Audio-Book library that you can download 'books' into for listening enjoyment while on the road. And of course, 6 million points of interest pre-programmed into it's memory.

I don't begrudge the Zumo systems (450 or 550), but am quite happy with the Nuvi 350. The 360 model, by the way, is BlueTooth compatible if that is also a priority.

Good Luck!
    Greenwald, I am considering the same thing. I currently use a 350 for my car. I purchased this mount for my bike: http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Mount...QQcmdZViewItem

My question is, how exactly are you hooking this gps up to your bike. I know it is 12 volts, my R75/5 is 12 volts, am I able to do the same?
    1972 BMW R75/5 Black Toaster
    http://r75-5.pbwiki.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LundMan View Post
    I got a 550 From PCNation over the internet for $638.00. It comes with the car window attachment that has a speaker and plugs into your power outlet or cig. lighter. A charger and an assortment of Ram- mount hardware for handlebar mounting. Cycle Gadgets makes a variety of assemblies for mounting to many different models of BMW along with other brands too. My kit comprised of a longer handlebar hex bolt and a spacer and a compact 1" Ram-mount that holds the GPS in the center. I can see all my dash lights and guages. I think the bolt and spacer was $11 dollars and the Ram-mount was about $22 dollars. It looks and works real good so far. The 450 is around $100.00 less.
    I second PCNation - great price and fast shipment. The extras that come with the 550 are well worth it. The 550 can be had for little more than the 450 if you shop around - I see very few discounts for the 450.

I splurged for the XM radio attachment before heading off to the National this year. The music is great to have, but I wanted the weather and traffic info even more. Warned us of approaching thunderstorms several times and gave us time to put on our gear. Also found and rerouted us around a bad accident that tied up traffic before we went to far.

I mounted mine on a BMR shelf, which left room for the radar detector and the antenna and gives me a line of sight view. I rarely look at the bikes speedometer when the GPS is on the bike.
    '04 R1150RT

No matter where you go, there you are!

WBIEL
    I used to think that GPS was just another over priced farkle to adorne the handle bar. I wasnt ready to fork over the big bucks to see if was worth it. I happened on a used 2610 with all the mounts and cables and a SD card with all the maps pre loaded. It took less than 3 days to find out that I had to have this gadget! The intent was to mount it on my LT but I used it in my truck (I drive a 18 wheeler) and it pretty much stayed there. I bought a new Zumo 550 with all the goodies for 800$ and mounted it on the LT. For a while I used both in the truck at the same time and at times they would have different solutions. I supposed due to the different soft ware. There are times when the 2610 is superior to the Zumo but over all the 550 rocks. Easy to used gloved up, weather proof, vibration proof and easier to see in bright sun light than the 2610.

Not to hijack the thread but......

Speaking of GPS'.......

I've yet to find one that does what I want. Or better, one that works for the way I travel. What I've found is that a GPS is good if you have no idea where you're going or how to get there. But if you have some idea of the route, it becomes more difficult.

Here's a for instance. I live in Maine. To travel to my uncle's in southern NJ, I know how to get there. But being a gadget guy, I like stuff. Without jumping thru hoops, if I plan a trip on a GPS from my house to his, every one inevitably sends me down I91 in Conn and across the GWB in NY. Now, anyone who lives around here knows that that is the STUPIDEST way to go. We prefer to take the Tappan Zee. But getting most GPS' to route you that way is difficult at best.

A GPS that learns would be nice. A GPS that realizes I may change my mind as I'm travelling and ask me questions about my intentions rather than simply continue to try to reroute me back. Another For Instance. We recently made a trip from Maine to NC via a friends place in Princess Anne Md. on the way home, reversing the route, the GPS of course wanted to send me to my friend's place first. As I drove by the turn, the GPS continually tried to send me back there, constantly rerouting me. I had to "replan the route" (this was on a TomTom Go720 by the way) to get it to forget about the Md stop. Of course, that meant that going back up thru NJ and NY, I was supposed to go back across the GWB!!! ARRRRGH!!!!

I've owned a Magellan. Didnt like it one bit. Was good as long as you had absoultely no idea how to get where you were going. I own Delorme Street Atlas 2008 which is an awesome package. I bought a blue tooth GPS receiver which worked very well. Problem is, I tried to use it with my Palm T|X. that didn't work. Couldnt plan a trip that wouldnt lock the Palm up trying to reroute you if you got off course or made a side trip. I understand from friends that using SA2K8 with a USB GPS on a Laptop is the cats nads but that is impractical for me. My next step is to maybe purchase either Delorme's Earthmate or a Garmin that will take trips planned by SA2K8.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    Speaking of GPS'.......

I've yet to find one that does what I want. Or better, one that works for the way I travel. What I've found is that a GPS is good if you have no idea where you're going or how to get there. But if you have some idea of the route, it becomes more difficult.
    I put in vias of various towns to take me on the route I want to go. Trouble with that is that the Zumo wants to take me into the downtown area of any via town. Kind of messes up the directions and distance list.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

FatChance
    So far, I haven't found any new GPS that does the job better than my old Garmin 276C.

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    I put in vias of various towns to take me on the route I want to go. Trouble with that is that the Zumo wants to take me into the downtown area of any via town. Kind of messes up the directions and distance list.
    Try this with your Zumo.

When adding your via point:
    1. When the "Find" menu displays touch "Near..."
    2. Touch "A Different City" and OK.
    3. Enter the city you want to use for your via and touch Done. Choose from list if needed.
    4. Then touch "Browse Map" and the map of the city you've chosen will pop up.
    5. Navigate around the map until you find the intersection you want to go through and touch "Select".
    It will route you through that intersection instead of the town center.
    Daren Schultz
    99 R1100R
    07 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    I particularly love when my Garmin (and all of them do this) uses something like the "City Yard" as the location for a city. So using cities as route-points has you going down a highway, make a left at XYZ street, travel 300 feet, visit city-yard, turn around - head back to the highway. It's a bit frustrating, but can't think of how else they could define a city location, other than A location in the city.

As darencs sez - you can use intersections, but that becomes a PITA to lay out routes of any length with.

What really is needed - is for Garmin to adopt Google Maps as it's route plotting software. I know there are programs that will convert a Google Maps route to GPS waypoints, but the ones I've tried are problematic to say the best..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Streetpilot vs Nuvi

Whats the difference?
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Streetpilot 2720 and NMEA

Does the 2720 support input from other devices using the NMEA format? Does anyone know?
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

WBIEL
    Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    Speaking of GPS'.......

Here's a for instance. I live in Maine. To travel to my uncle's in southern NJ, I know how to get there. But being a gadget guy, I like stuff. Without jumping thru hoops, if I plan a trip on a GPS from my house to his, every one inevitably sends me down I91 in Conn and across the GWB in NY. Now, anyone who lives around here knows that that is the STUPIDEST way to go. We prefer to take the Tappan Zee. But getting most GPS' to route you that way is difficult at best.

A GPS that learns would be nice. A GPS that realizes I may change my mind as I'm travelling and ask me questions about my intentions rather than simply continue to try to reroute me back. Another For Instance. We recently made a trip from Maine to NC via a friends place in Princess Anne Md. on the way home, reversing the route, the GPS of course wanted to send me to my friend's place first. As I drove by the turn, the GPS continually tried to send me back there, constantly rerouting me. I had to "replan the route" (this was on a TomTom Go720 by the way) to get it to forget about the Md stop. Of course, that meant that going back up thru NJ and NY, I was supposed to go back across the GWB!!! ARRRRGH!!!!

I've owned a Magellan. Didnt like it one bit. Was good as long as you had absoultely no idea how to get where you were going. I own Delorme Street Atlas 2008 which is an awesome package. I bought a blue tooth GPS receiver which worked very well. Problem is, I tried to use it with my Palm T|X. that didn't work. Couldnt plan a trip that wouldnt lock the Palm up trying to reroute you if you got off course or made a side trip. I understand from friends that using SA2K8 with a USB GPS on a Laptop is the cats nads but that is impractical for me. My next step is to maybe purchase either Delorme's Earthmate or a Garmin that will take trips planned by SA2K8.

Yea, I have the same issues. I drive a truck and the software cover truck Rts or hazmat Rts. I know the way and I just do what I want. I do sometimes plan my rts on the computer using intersections if need be then download them. Having driven a truck for many years I mostly know where I am going at all time anyway, Chances are good I have been there. The thing I use most is benig able to detour on roads not known and the availibility of gas stations and services on those deoturs.

Garmin 478 - not cheap, especially when adding the GXM-30 antenna, but there's no substitute to having real time Nexrad weather radar at your finger tips. Same mapping capabilities (and flaws) as other Garmins. Has a nice size screen with a lot of brightness control. With the GXM-30 you can also subscribe to regular XM radio. Found out I like it a lot, although YMMV.

15. 09-01-2008, 08:10 PM

GPS options

I bought my wife a NUVI 650 last christmas and really didn't think it would be something I would use much (WRONG) it's great. So I purchased a Ram Mount kit and mounted it over the clutch reservor and powered it off the BMW socket (2008 R1200RT) I have got the tank bag where all the electrical cordsride tucked inside it. We did a 1000 mile trip without a hic-up. I can send pic's if interested. The only short fall is the NUVI will not accept route planning, so you are somewhat limited.

I will be going to a Zumo in the future.