Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BYOS Whats UP With This

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    A tiny travel umbrella in your luggage is useful rain or shine. The shade goes with you and covers more than a hot hat on your head. Yeah, you have to hold onto it, but the other hand is still free for the beer.

Holly
    i am never without a travel umbrella and it's amazing how many times it's been used. and the jealous looks i get when it is in use.

good advice on the parawing... and be prepared for wind, too. my parawing has small pockets on each corner into which i can place rocks to add a little weight. keeps it from flopping around too badly.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Hey Vinton,

I am one of the folks who say "bring your own shade".

Part of my mantra is due to the fact that I have had a few rounds of treatment for skin cancer (no melanoma thank Dog). I like to hang out in my kermit chair after riding and rather than worry about trying to find a spot under the single tree I bring my own shade.

One of benefits of the rally growing so large is that one of the site requirements is 100,000 square feet of indoor air conditioned space for vendors. There are also various spots to find a place to chill out. I expect there will be plenty of vendors selling things like frozen lemonade so finding relief shouldn't be a problem.

At the first big rally I went to I volunteered for a bit of work and had issues with heat. I happened to notice Tina Swider wearing a camelbak all day and I thought that while a bit geeky it was brilliant.

Bring the floppy hat, sunblock and drink lots of water and you should be fine. For hydration keep in mind that not only is it hot but we are at a higher elevation too.

For the curious the shade I bring is a MSR Parawing. I purchased this for the Spokane Rally and it is one of the best items I have added to my camping kit. Not only is it great for shade but it is even better for rain. I can cover the door to my tent and a picnic table while leaving enough room for a kermit chair or two. If I am breaking camp in the rain I pull the bike under the wing. If you want to see pictures check out the camping section of our very own website.

See you in July!

Guess the MOA wants to actively attract and promote the attendence of more "shady characters" to grace our National Rally. My question is there enough group/brand cohension to fit everybody under one umbrella?

J.K.

Well I did say I wanted a bigger wing.

Thumbs up

www.mountainsports.com has the MSR Parawing (2007 model) for $199.00 with free UPS Ground shipping. Ordered one today.

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Great advice everyone

How small does the parawing break down to and how do you pack it on your bike.
    I figure that most who bring such a thing also are packing a tent and sleeping bag.

My wife does not want to do the 1000 miles form of home so she is going to be flying in on Thursday. I guess I could fill her spot with stuff!! I have never have packed for this kind of trip it going to be fun.

Beautiful South Orange County, California
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
    Even though I've done plenty of camping in open, bright, and often coastal (read "white sand"), the pics of the Cam Plex show zero shady areas.

And because fo that, I'm ordering a lightweight tarp very soon to add to my camping kit - probably the Kelty Noah Tarp. Very similar to the MSR Parawing shown in a post above.
    I've got the Kelty Tarp; it's a poor man's parawing. The problem with this class of shade device is that it's entertaining (for others) if one tries to pitch it solo particularly if there is anything more than a mild breeze. If I were to do it again, I would probably get a Kelty Sun Shade. It doesn't pack down as small as a Parawing or a Noah Tarp, but they sure go up easier.

Shade at a rally is over rated. I seldom spend time near my tent during the day. I'm either riding or at the vendors who have conveniently provided shade for me and my wallet.
    Have a kilo-mile day!
    Bill Allen /; Mission Viejo, CA
    2012 BMW R1200 GSA, Triple Black of course
    SouthCoast BMW Riders Club/MOA #83869/IBA #24862

Quote Originally Posted by Vinton View Post
    the wing folds and the poles collapse (they are shock-corded, like tent poles). everything rolls up to about the size of a small tent.

i usually put mine in the saddlebag, along with the tent, but one could easily place it in a duffle along with tent and other stuff and strap it to the bike.

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Vinton View Post
    I figure that most who bring such a thing also are packing a tent and sleeping bag.

My wife does not want to do the 1000 miles form of home so she is going to be flying in on Thursday. I guess I could fill her spot with stuff!! I have never have packed for this kind of trip it going to be fun.

If you can get by the ADV Salute the red bag on the right pannier is the parawing.

On this trip I had my two man tent, sleeping bag, thermarest and kermit chair in the dry bag. I would have easily gotten it all on the rack if I didn't have to carry the briefcase but such is the joy of being on call 24/7/365.

Your wife will love the shade. You can also UPS to and from the rally site.

Camplex makes up for the lack of mature greenery by having a multiitude, a regular plethora of buildings, over hangs, grandstands and stuff to get out of the sun. The difference in WYO from so many areas is that even though the sun may be bright, there is ZERO humidity unlike where I live (MN) and other areas of the country where we all suffer under the heavy hand of the dreaded airborne moisture of HUMIDITY. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by 83869 View Post

Shade at a rally is over rated. I seldom spend time near my tent during the day. I'm either riding or at the vendors who have conveniently provided shade for me and my wallet.
    There is much wisdom in this statement.

I got my wing because I have a histroical problem with heat and I have also had issues with skin cancer.

I wanted to be absolutely positively certain that no matter where I camped I could have a shady spot to sit and an icy beverage to sip. Plus when guys like Mr. 83869( ) wander by looking a little peaked I can offer him a spot for a minute or two.

Good points, RobNye, regarding relfective guylines and pegs. I'm usually the first one to trip over my own lines.

And I'm also one of those folks who has contributed several Mercedes and BMW payments to a couple of dermatologists. So a good tarp will reward me on every camping trip - but the Rally is the catalyst to actually get off the wallet and buy one.
    Mark J
    Merritt Island, FL

There is much wisdom in this statement.
    Then I must have plagarized it. My friends tell me that "wisdom" and "statements" never coexist while participating in a conversation with me.

I got my wing because I have a histroical problem with heat and I have also had issues with skin cancer.
    Two great reasons. Also a good reason for packing fluids. I usually walk around with my Camelback filled with 50/50 (water and Gatorade powder).

I wanted to be absolutely positively certain that no matter where I camped I could have a shady spot to sit and an icy beverage to sip. Plus when guys like Mr. 83869( ) wander by looking a little peaked I can offer him a spot for a minute or two.
    Is that an invitation? If so, I may have to show up.

Regards,
    Have a kilo-mile day!

You can also UPS to and from the rally site.
    This is a GREAT idea. Why not just send all the camping gear this way?

BRILLIANT!
    Have a kilo-mile day!

Here is another tip.

Get yourself an igloo cooler that is big enough for your gear but small enough for UPS regular shipping.

Then head over to your BMW Dealer and ask them for a few of the tie down straps that were used in the shipping crate.

Strap the cooler and use tape or other small cord to make sure the loose ends of the flaps can't snag.

When you get to the rally your shipping container is also your cooler and your cocktail table. If you ship your tent you know you won't have broken poles.

I insure what I ship but I never ship what I can't afford to loose or want to use on the way. To me it makes more sense to ship gear when you are closer or you know you are hotelling it. The shipping is cheaper and you don't need as much gear for the ride there anyway.

Well I did say I wanted a bigger wing.
    Gee, I don't know, the Wing is now 1800 cc's. Isn't that big enough?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.