Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BYOS Whats UP With This

BYOS Whats UP With This

I am coming from Seattle and this will be my first rally. I am really looking forward to it. I have seen comment about "BYOS" (Bring your own shade).
    Being from Seattle nature provides us with about 8 months a year of overcast days so we do not get that much sun exposure. Not being from an area with lots of sun and high temps I know I will wilt and burn with out shade. I will break out the old SPF 1000 and that should take care of the burn and ware a hat to cover my balding head but little to no shade will kill me during the day.
    How much of this event is indoors or in covered areas or is most of it outside. I will be camping in one of the shurpa villages and I do not want to spend much time in a tent except to sleep.

What are other experienced people doing about BYOS? and What do others do about dealing with the heat.

Also does anyone know when the official checkout is? Do we have to leave Sunday afternoon or can it be Monday before noon?

Only being a slightly used virgin, I only have West Bend to base my conclusions on. By about 10am on Sunday morning there were very few people left, the late risers and clean up crew. I would say that by Monday there would be little evidence that there was a 4 day rally there.
    Bat Bike

Hey Vinton,

I am one of the folks who say "bring your own shade".

Part of my mantra is due to the fact that I have had a few rounds of treatment for skin cancer (no melanoma thank Dog). I like to hang out in my kermit chair after riding and rather than worry about trying to find a spot under the single tree I bring my own shade.

One of benefits of the rally growing so large is that one of the site requirements is 100,000 square feet of indoor air conditioned space for vendors. There are also various spots to find a place to chill out. I expect there will be plenty of vendors selling things like frozen lemonade so finding relief shouldn't be a problem.

At the first big rally I went to I volunteered for a bit of work and had issues with heat. I happened to notice Tina Swider wearing a camelbak all day and I thought that while a bit geeky it was brilliant.

Bring the floppy hat, sunblock and drink lots of water and you should be fine. For hydration keep in mind that not only is it hot but we are at a higher elevation too.

For the curious the shade I bring is a MSR Parawing. I purchased this for the Spokane Rally and it is one of the best items I have added to my camping kit. Not only is it great for shade but it is even better for rain. I can cover the door to my tent and a picnic table while leaving enough room for a kermit chair or two. If I am breaking camp in the rain I pull the bike under the wing. If you want to see pictures check out the camping section of our very own website.

See you in July!

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

This man know his stuff

Rob knows his camping. Light and shady. (Green Mountain Rally - 2007)
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

I see you got a photo of the pre pack "shake out".

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    It looks like a perfect tent. Has to be light and easy to pack. That orange material has to be the BYOS. An impressive bit of kit.
    Click here.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    There will be ample indoor areas, some airconditioned, for you to get in out of the sun. There are even two trees on sight.

Regarding checking out...most rally sights are a ghost town by noon Sunday.

Gillette 013

Airconditional Hall

Gillette 025
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    It looks like a perfect tent. Has to be light and easy to pack. That orange material has to be the BYOS. An impressive bit of kit.
    Actually Paul what you see is a MSR mutah hubba tent and the fly.

This is the MSR Parawing:

Here is the photo from the MOA's very own camping pages:

I am casually thinking of upgrading to the outfitter wing cuz I like a big party and it is only 3lbs more. Underscore casually because as I said earlier I get can get a table under the wing and still have a way to have two tents (doors) covered. As you can see I use my wing for shelter as much as sun protection. I love being able to step out of my tent in the rain and stand up without getting wet.

You can check out the MSR stuff here.

Talking And what's really fun...

Is after Rob falls into a deep sleep (okay, alchohol induced coma), we flip a coin to see who can move the parawing to a most unique place! ROTFLOL!

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Even though I've done plenty of camping in open, bright, and often coastal (read "white sand"), the pics of the Cam Plex show zero shady areas.

And because fo that, I'm ordering a lightweight tarp very soon to add to my camping kit - probably the Kelty Noah Tarp. Very similar to the MSR Parawing shown in a post above.
    Mark J
    Merritt Island, FL

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Camp Gears

Cam Plex Tour

Gillette 035
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Camp Gears with David Hough
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 05-07-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
    Even though I've done plenty of camping in open, bright, and often coastal (read "white sand"), the pics of the Cam Plex show zero shady areas.

And because fo that, I'm ordering a lightweight tarp very soon to add to my camping kit - probably the Kelty Noah Tarp. Very similar to the MSR Parawing shown in a post above.
    I suggest extra grub stakes and cord. Reflective cords are nice, glow sticks are even better. Trip lines can hurt friends *and* get your new fly trashed.

One nice thing about the wing is that if a sudden storm comes up you just lift the poles and lay it all on the ground. the stakes and cords keep it from going anywhere and it doesn't flog much. When the storm is over simply put the poles back up, you never have to adjust the cords at all. If it is over a picnic table everything on the table remains dry.

I've had to drop the fly more than once with the memorable being Lima. A lot of gear including vendor tents got trashed and my fly was fine and my MSR tent was bone dry.

umbrella

A tiny travel umbrella in your luggage is useful rain or shine. The shade goes with you and covers more than a hot hat on your head. Yeah, you have to hold onto it, but the other hand is still free for the beer.

Holly
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    A tiny travel umbrella in your luggage is useful rain or shine. The shade goes with you and covers more than a hot hat on your head. Yeah, you have to hold onto it, but the other hand is still free for the beer.

Holly
    We sometimes carry an umbrella that will clip to the back of a chair. We've pulled it out when we've been stuck sitting in the sun at a construction spot on a road. Out here, it can be 20 minutes for a pilot car to go all the way up and back and having a bit of shade is pretty wonderful on a hot day.

REI is having their annual sale, so I'll be down looking at a shade structure tonight, I think.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.