Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GAS Budgeting for Rally?

Got me?

I have read reports with newer GS1200 owners doing better than me, into the mid 40's range, but I'm not there yet on my GSAdventure'07. Randy

i figure it will cost me close to $400 in gas to get to Gillette from my home in NY and back. any riding i do while there will be extra, but i am sure it will be money well spent. now add on the cost of motels there & back (i'm gonna camp at the rally site) and food, beer and everything i will buy while walking the vendors and i bet this whole trip will run me between $1800-2000. oh i almost forgot i am having Mr. Ed's Moto make me a custom seat for the trip, but i will not count that mainly because i am not telling my wife about it......lol

From MARS
    On winter trips, I budget $60/day for gas, but summer trips are budgeted at $80/day due to the increased running time thanks to longer days. Food and lodging add another 60-80 bucks.

If you are passing thru my part of Kansas on your way to the rally, I can save you the money you would have spent on lodging by providing camping at our place. If I get enough advanced warning, I'll even cook you dinner. It may not be fancy, but you won't go to sleep hungry!

Tom

My GSA did well;

This past weekend to Lake Tahoe, I bought mountain gas and the mpg's rose significantly to 47 mpg.. First time it ever went way over 38-40mpg's. I figure the mountain gas is a different formula, vs our valley gas and this improved the mileage. I know this to be true in CA.. AND, nice thoughts from a fellow Kansas rider, offering overnight space at his home. A bit out of my way, but lots of folks riding right through there from eastern parts. Happy Trails, Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I love the '07 GSA 1200, but its mpg's really suck wind, compared to the RT's! My new GSA is at 9000 miles now and its only hit 40+ mpg twice and is 36-38mpg most of the time. I'm told it may get better, but I'm starting to have concerns if it will indeed. I've tried all the speeds, per tank and nothing seems to change it, slow or fast riding. Weird? The bike computer is accurate, as I've checked it mathematically myself and get the same result as the bike computer. Disappointed. My diesel pickup F350 is 15 mpg's and it has hit near 5$ a gallon here in CA., so it gets driven very little to do horse errands/hay etcetc...The faired RT's may just have the advantage here. My last KLT1200 did the same at 50+mpg's. Randy13233
    I have had the opposite experience with my '07 GS non-Adventure.

It got around 45-47 when new, but has steadily declined to upper-30's at present, with about 9100 miles on the clock. My suspicion is that a new air filter will get the MPG back up- at least that's how it worked with my airhead, which would always lose MPG over a period of about 10K miles and then a new air filter would restore the MPG.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

As for the earlier comment about riding expensive bikes and whining about fuel, the payments on the bike leave me fairly poor. So there.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

gulfcoastbeemer
    For me it's a minimum of about 4,400 miles to and back from the rally -- not an insignificant distance. But, more importantly it represents an investment in time.

I've been through Gillette several times before. I've just never thought of it as a destination.

It's more difficult for me to justify the travel time and lodging expense, than to justify the expenditure of $400 ~ $500 for the fuel.

I'll be sitting this one out -- waiting and hoping for a more convenient venue, like Tennessee or North Carolina, or at least less time traveling through "fly-over" country. As it is, I'll be spending my gas budget traveling a coastal route to Vermont in July.

Quote Originally Posted by gulfcoastbeemer View Post
    For me it's a minimum of about 4,400 miles to and back from the rally -- not an insignificant distance. But, more importantly it represents an investment in time.

It's more difficult for me to justify the travel time and lodging expense, than to justify the expenditure of $400 ~ $500 for the fuel.

As it is, I'll be spending my gas budget traveling a coastal route to Vermont in July.
    We'll miss seeing you. It's not necessarly the location, but the reunion with friends.

After you get to WY, you'll find the cheapest gas in the US

State Price Trend

Wyoming 3.639
    Arizona 3.660
    Montana 3.714
    South Carolina 3.714
    New Jersey 3.718
    Missouri 3.719
    Utah 3.742
    Louisiana 3.744
    Tennessee 3.769
    Iowa 3.775
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Even though I laid out my Summer riding plan sworn to make it to Gillette at the expense of other events I would normally ride, I'm starting to waffle because of projected gas prices.

At $4/gal I'm looking at $600 in gas. At $5/gal, which I'm confident will happen by July, that jumps to $750 for just my gas. By the time lodging, food, remaining bike preps are added in, it's looking grim.

I'm keeping my options open, but I'm not going to preregister - if I get there, I'll pay the $5 extra for registering at the gate.
    Mark J
    Merritt Island, FL

Just means less $$$ to spend at the vendor area and dining on pork & beans and Vienna sausages.......

Gasoline Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by riderR1150GSAdv View Post
    You are not alone in the bad milage dept with a 1200GSA.. A friend of mine had an accident with his 1150 GSA and bought a new 1200 GSA and has a similar experience. His 1150 was much better..
    My 1150 gets 45-50MPG depending on load, speed and wind. I never ever saw less than 42 MPG.
    I have no idea why that is, but if newer bikes are supposed to be better than the 'older' ones I wonder why milage is worse....
    I am currently getting 47 MPG on my 2004 1150RT using premium gasoline (91+). The 47 MPG is over 4,000 miles of continuous travel so far this summer. I weigh 350 lbs and I have the bike maxed-out with a tank bag, top bag, 2 over-sized-lidded side bags, plus camping equipment.

I used to average 50+ MPG on my 1999 1100RT fully loaded on long trips. I'd rather have the extra gasoline mileage than more horsepower. Perhaps an 800GS is in my future????
    Rich

I have to see it all!

Thumbs up This is what I did!

I had an "02" 1150GS that got 40's gas mileage and I sold it to a guy who loves it for $8,000. Then I bought an "06" 650 GS that gets 65-70 MPG for $7,000. I love the Little GS and it has all I need to travel alone with gear. I am proud I ride the smaller bike that I do not think I will drop it in a camp ground and I can push it around on the grass. I will not even use the $1,000 I made in the deal.

I agree that we need to do what we enjoy and cut back on the other frills, Cigarettes, Latte's, Haircuts, Another riding suit, etc. I think we probably have things we could sell on e-bay or adv rider. Where there is a will there is a way. Bitch less and get the right attitude about a great summer and life. I made $13,000 last year and am lucky to share a paid-off house. I am a substitute teacher and I love life. I am able to do the Cowboy Hat Trick (Black Hills, National, Paonia) and camp all the way. Make it all work for you at any cost, I do.

See you in Beautiful Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by wackettrw View Post
    I am currently getting 47 MPG on my 2004 1150RT using premium gasoline (91+). The 47 MPG is over 4,000 miles of continuous travel so far this summer. I weigh 350 lbs and I have the bike maxed-out with a tank bag, top bag, 2 over-sized-lidded side bags, plus camping equipment.
    Rich
    Rich, you must ride slower than me. I rarely get 40 mpg on my 2002 1150RT. In most LD scavenger hunt type competitive rallies I average 32.5 mpg over 24 hours and covering between 1200 and 1300 miles. Ditto for my 1532 mile IBA BBG 3 years ago.

I need to know your secret.
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

I Ride:)

A most expensive BMW and I'm frugal! I still like my mileage and its a big selling point to me. My new GSA1200 is poor at it and I didn't know, so my homework prior to buying is a bust. The bike is way cool and I love its look and it handles as a much smaller bike. Today, would I do it again? Probably not and would look harder at the F800GS(NOT HERE YET) and/or a F650 again. My '99 F650, with carb was not nearly as good on gas as the 2001-2007 ones. 65-70 mpg is fantastic and I've heard it many times, from F650 owners. I will keep the bigger GSA for a few years and enjoy it, but NOT TWICE with this bike, unless BMW can get it to become like the RT's and KLT's on gas mileage! KLT is 800+ LBS, so go figure why it should "excell" with all that weight? I clearly got over 50mpg frequently with the biggest of BMW's. Why not the so much lighter GSA??? PLEASE, I will ride mine and be happy, enjoying all my miles a lot, as always. No more complaining for now. Happy Trails, Randy. Its a tradeoff for exploring the less traveled byways on dirt.

Not a Slow (Slug) Rider

Quote Originally Posted by jcpuckett View Post
    Rich, you must ride slower than me. I rarely get 40 mpg on my 2002 1150RT. In most LD scavenger hunt type competitive rallies I average 32.5 mpg over 24 hours and covering between 1200 and 1300 miles. Ditto for my 1532 mile IBA BBG 3 years ago.

I need to know your secret.
    jcpuckett,
    The 47 miles per gallon (MPG) that I got on my 2004 R1150RT over the last 4,000 miles, is up to 48 MPG over the past 6,000 miles, with the last few tankfuls averaging a little over 50 MPG. Remember, I use premium gasoline (91+ octane) consistently. I find it makes a difference and I save money at the pump overall. Premium gasoline is more expensive, but the extra MPG with premium gasoline more than offsets the differential per gallon cost between regular & premium.

As I said I am fully loaded down with personal weight, lots of clothing, and lots of camping gear. I'm good for 3 months of consecutive summer travel. Also, I'm no slug when it comes to MPH (not MPG). Very rarely does anyone pass me on the road. I am very fast/quick in the corners/twisties. My 1999 R1100RT did slightly better than the 2004 R1150RT on gasoline mileage.

Hope this email is informative to you and others.
    Rich