Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Not all "CHP" bad :).

Cops

Not all cops are bad. They're like any other profession; you have good, bad, and those who put in just enough effort to get a paycheck.

About twenty years ago, I took a trip to Yellowstone. The trip was great, partially because I took so many back roads. It was just after noon, and I was a little north of Kemmerer, Wyoming when it started to rain, and I mean rain hard. I had my rain gear on so it wasn't a big deal. Because of the foul weather, I was making a point to drive a little slower, and safer than normal. To my surprise a Wyoming state trooper came out of nowhere, and pulled me over in the middle of the storm. The rain was really coming down hard, and I figured whatever I did it must have been really bad for a trooper to pull me over in that kind of rain.

He got out of the car, thoroughly checked my bike and told me to get in his car. I thought o-well, forget the ticket, I'm going straight to jail. At that point with the large drops of sweat rolling of my brow, the rain seemed insignificant.

Once in the car I was relieved to find he just wanted to get out of the rain. He checked me in every computer he had. After coming back clear, he told me why I was stopped. I did not have my headlight on. I DID NOT HAVE MY HEADLIGHT ON? He told me in Wyoming bikers are required to have their headlight on at all times. I'm thinking ok where is the JP Court, and what is the fine.

To my astonishment he gave me a warning. I got out of his car, leaving what seemed like several gallons of transfer water on the seat, and was free to go.

I've thought a lot about that cop. He could have let me go without stopping me. He would have been better off. He certainly would not have gotten soaking wet. He was actually doing me a favor. He was letting me know I did not have my lights on, and although I was trying to ride safe, I could be a little safer.

That's the type of professional I like, someone who's not in it for the paycheck, but civic virtue. My hat's off Wyoming.

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by twins4life View Post
    All photo radar is banned in Texas. NESCO just happened to be the parasites wanting a piece of the pie.

Our big time whiney mayor cried foul because they took his photo radar away. He climed traffic "accidents would increase 43%" because the photo radar was gone. What an idiot. Obviously more "data" from NESCO. As a driver in the area, I can say for certain, I feel safer with that junk gone.

Those stupid cameras nearly got me in accidents beause of people panic stopping when ever they saw the mobil camera. Austin banned them a while back because they caused a lot of rear end accidents.

As said before (hehehehehe) NESCO 0, good guys 1.
    Good. Now if they'll just get rid of those #@*$&*@#&%*$&%*&$@# red-light cameras which propagate like weeds around here, and which are also known to increase collisions near intersections.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

R-1100R + 120MPH = :)) twins4life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Good. Now if they'll just get rid of those #@*$&*@#&%*$&%*&$@# red-light cameras which propagate like weeds around here, and which are also known to increase collisions near intersections.
    Those are the things Austin got rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by twins4life View Post
    Those are the things Austin got rid of.
    The news anchors around here always sound particularly gleeful when they announce the latest implementation program in the metro area, and practically parrot the various cities' announcements that they are looking forward to increased safety (we know the real deal, don't we? ). Shows how ass-backwards this area is.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

another "not bad" trooper

Speaking of close calls...

Last summer I got a little carried away on rt 21 in upstate NY. Beautiful day, no traffic. After a 15 mile stretch of nice rolling hills with lots of fast sweepers I was really feeling at one with the road. After the sweepers there is a 2 mi dead straight section with nobody around except for a Camaro comming towards me so I rolled on the thottle just to let it run for a bit. As I passed the Camaro doing about 110 mph I realized it was one of NY state trooper's "chase vehicles". They use both Mustangs and Camaros fully painted with no lights on the roof.

Before he could turn around I pulled off the road and just waited. When he pulled up to me he actually thanked me for stopping because he was worried that he was going to have to chase me. I told him I had no excuse other than it was a great day and I was having too much fun. After checking my License, registration etc. he told me to slow down and have a nice day. Of course, I was totally stunned and very thankful.

As noted earlier in this thread, I think the fact that I'm 56 years old and was wearing protective gear head to toe probably helped. I'm sure if I was a young kid on a crotch rocket wearing shorts and a t-shirt the story would have ended differently.

Yep, on the AGE thing;

I played my age card too and removed my helmet quickly, as my Lady CHP approached. Couldn't hurt, I felt and I indeed was thinking my age may help! Lots of silver on my topside. You know, from all my reading here, I've come to a conclusion that, NO BULL and fessing up and no storytelling goes far to walking away free. Most of these guys and gals, working the highways and byways are no different than us and drive like us, when off duty. Of course, some are going to"write ya up", regardless and I've been lucky in my life. The above sure has some merit, however, so be wise and don't argue with someone in authority, alongside the highways. If they stopped ya, you're probably guilty. Randy13233