Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not all "CHP" bad :).

Not all "CHP" bad :).

Riding in from AZ a week ago on my GSA1200. Need a break and stop at Tahachapi, CA for a short rest. Just before getting off the freeway a mile or so, the CHP were stopping speeders on the other side, opposite direction. I blew on by, thinking of my exit ahead for a rest stop. A mile to go yet. One of the CHP, a Polarbear(white unmarked), the others are Panda's, had turned on ME across the median to my lack of notice. I was not speeding, but still did not notice the CHP following me at a distance. White unmarked, remember! Tehachapi is a small mountain town and kind of high desert terrain. The exit is clearly wide open country and I just get off and continue to blow the stop sign, left turn, probably still in third gear. NOT even a close stop. Hmmmmm. I notice the white car immediately in my mirror at the past intersection blown by me and YES, guess who! It was a safe maneuver on my part, because no traffic in either direction and I figured what the heck, don't stop. My California stop was a little much, however as third gear stops are faster than any CHP can handle! Well, I try to go unnoticed and riding towards town, thinking I may have been unseen back there in my glory. NOPE, the CHP had me in their sights indeed and approached from behind in a carniverous fashion, I felt. ME, I guess I'm had, so my GSA and I find dirt, well off the roadway and safe. The Polarbear(unmarked whitie car) CHP has a girl CHP at the helm and she marches at me with a mannerism of real authority and about to pounce on my guilt. I knew it was coming and melted into a puddle of self guilt. She spoke first; "WHAT WAS THAT", not even close to a stop? I quickly remove my helmet for my age may improve my case, with lots of grey hairs, mostly grey nowadays. I speak; I'm wrong, indeed and have no excuse, I blew it! I have no out, I say. I'm clearly wrong and have no excuse at all". End of conversation. She asks for my drivers license and "no" registratation, and after that and I feel immediately she may be considering a break for me and a verbal warning. My feeling is correct as I speak again and say," if you're condidering giving me a break, I'm very appreciative indeed" and that was that. She gave me a break and I have been lucky this day. Actually, no CHP are bad, as I titled this and they are just folks doing jobs we conflict with occasionally. My latest was a good experience, as I got off the hook with a repremand from this lady CHP. I have a great record and no tickets for a dozen or more years, so I've been a good boy or say not caught. Be safe, Happy Trails, Randy13233

Hope you have learned a lesson and don't blow any more stop signs
    David
    1989 K100LT

SNC1923
    I've made a career of getting out of tickets, though I've never been pulled over on my bikes.

I can't BELIEVE she let you off after blowing a stop sign in third gear. You earned that ticket. Good for you, man. I guess it was Polar Bear courtesy.

Right:)

I know the luck was with me that day. My handle is Polarbear, of course and a white unmarked in California is known as a "Polarbear" too, by the truckers. Kind of odd I get caught by one. The Lady CHP was more than generous. I'm not a reckless rider, just let some show that day, however. Guilty! Randy

Mom always told you to tell the truth and it paid off.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Now if someone could just teach you where the "Enter" key is, all would be well.
    Chris
    2002 R1150R ABS, Black, 20,000+ Miles
    Life is a Game. Play to win.

Just a little east of Paradise (California)

Lucky Too Twice

PolarBear, you are one lucky dude! You have joined my wife and I in that select circle of recent bullet dodgers. I agree that the CHP is a pretty decent group!
    Going south in late March, I was pulled over for speeding just as we entered 86S from I-10. Was doing 73 towing a 16 foot open trailer (with two BMW motorcycles) as cargo. We were only about 40 miles from our destination. Rats! I was polite and owned up to knowing the limit for trailers was 55 and he just said "slow it down" and handed me back my license. Major Break! Maybe he liked the looks of my blue RT?? and the wife's GS, who knows??
    About three weeks later we are trailing my new RT back from Chico and I had just turned over the driving chores to my wife. She was just getting the feel of the rig when the big red light behind came on. This was on 99 southbound somewhere north of Bakersfield. She was doing 72 with the trailer and admitted she knew 55 was the limit. She asked for "a break" and the nice officer handed back her license and said "slow it down". Major Break Squared!!
    Moral or lessons learned = tow at speeds between 60 and 65, don't lead the pack even if some 18 wheelers are blowing past at 75. Our trip home was uneventful and at the above mentioned speeds we seemed to be "invisible" to the authorities radar, or at the very least not an "item of interest". We were both very lucky.
    Cheers
    DD&F

should I remove the "capable of evading high speed pursuit" decal from the rear of my RT?

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    should I remove the "capable of evading high speed pursuit" decal from the rear of my RT?
    Your RT can't outrun a CHP RT-P
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    Your RT can't outrun a CHP RT-P
    not in a stright line, did I mention I used to roadrace...

ricks01
    some motor officers are known to race too. dont get your hopes up if'n you run...

Quote Originally Posted by ricks01 View Post
    some motor officers are known to race too. dont get your hopes up if'n you run...
    I don't run anymore, that was years ago...

R-1100R + 120MPH = :)) twins4life's Avatar
    Well not CHP but BCSO "cage" here likes to turn on overhead lights to warn on coming traffic they are in danger of a fast driver award.

To make it better, the local PD has flashed headlights to get me to wake up and ease off the fuel.

Having had both of those warnings has done more to slow me down than a fast driving award.

But I was only barely speeding (=5MPH+), much over and I would be napping in drivers ED I suspect.

Still nice of the local LE officers here in Tejas.

Still better is the State Legislature ruled that NESCO "photo radar" illegal And ordered all such BS removed and at last report, was investigating NESCO for "conflict of interest" in paying the salary of officers trained/treated/rewarded/brainwashed by NESCO.

Hehehehehe, Texas citizens 1, NESCO 0

Interestingly enough, NESCO doesnt seem to have a website to promote it's photo radar. One can only hope these parasites got a real job.

Not that I condone speeding, but tickets should be issued by a sworn officer, not a camera.

Bye bye NESCO
    Honda Silverwing 600cc, 115MPH & 55MPG | Kymco 250 Xciting, 75MPH & 60-80MPG.
    Previous: BMW R-1150RT, BMW R-1100R, Yamaha Vulcan 750, HD Sportster 1200, Honda XL-100 (training bike for Mrs), BMW R-90/6, Yamaha XS-650(German designed), Kawasaki KZ-900, Yamaha XS-400, Kawasaki 125 Enduro

Quote Originally Posted by twins4life View Post
    Well not CHP but BCSO "cage" here likes to turn on overhead lights to warn on coming traffic they are in danger of a fast driver award.

To make it better, the local PD has flashed headlights to get me to wake up and ease off the fuel.

Having had both of those warnings has done more to slow me down than a fast driving award.
    Your officers are definitely the exception in this ticket-happy state where speed enforcement exceeds ridiculous. I've been let off ONCE in the ten or so times I've been stopped here, one time I even got the award after being clocked while a big ol' pickup truick was passing my car by a good 15 or so.

Still better is the State Legislature ruled that NESCO "photo radar" illegal And ordered all such BS removed and at last report, was investigating NESCO for "conflict of interest" in paying the salary of officers trained/treated/rewarded/brainwashed by NESCO.

Hehehehehe, Texas citizens 1, NESCO 0

Interestingly enough, NESCO doesnt seem to have a website to promote it's photo radar. One can only hope these parasites got a real job.
    Is that all speed cameras, or just those from NESCO?

Not that I condone speeding, but tickets should be issued by a sworn officer, not a camera.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

R-1100R + 120MPH = :)) twins4life's Avatar
    All photo radar is banned in Texas. NESCO just happened to be the parasites wanting a piece of the pie.

Our big time whiney mayor cried foul because they took his photo radar away. He climed traffic "accidents would increase 43%" because the photo radar was gone. What an idiot. Obviously more "data" from NESCO. As a driver in the area, I can say for certain, I feel safer with that junk gone.

Those stupid cameras nearly got me in accidents beause of people panic stopping when ever they saw the mobil camera. Austin banned them a while back because they caused a lot of rear end accidents.

As said before (hehehehehe) NESCO 0, good guys 1.
    Honda Silverwing 600cc, 115MPH & 55MPG | Kymco 250 Xciting, 75MPH & 60-80MPG.
    Previous: BMW R-1150RT, BMW R-1100R, Yamaha Vulcan 750, HD Sportster 1200, Honda XL-100 (training bike for Mrs), BMW R-90/6, Yamaha XS-650(German designed), Kawasaki KZ-900, Yamaha XS-400, Kawasaki 125 Enduro