Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62

Thread: What Chair

  1. #31
    Muneio
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpuckett View Post
    Kermit first tried to sell his chair business to a close friend of mine in Egypt Mills, MO, who happens to be a certified master BMW technician and at the time, owner of Grass Roots BMW in Cape Girardeau. My friend has a serious wood working shop in Egypt Mills and knows how to use it. Your statement would be correct if we were only to purchase materials to build one chair. The $129.00 price does not include the aluminum leg extensions.
    Well I thought we were talking about buying 1 chair?, but regardless. The labor is the majority of the cost. I have absolutely no affiliation with Kermit chair but I seriously doubt anyones getting rich selling those chairs. And I suspect Wally world makes quite a bit more net profit off of their imported $9.99 chairs, can you say volume. So why diss the small business guy trying to make a living? When we spend $129. for a quality product made here that will last 10 years we pay the cost up front, right now, when we spend $10 every year on an imported Wally World disposable chair we pay the price over many years with numerous hidden costs. Unemployment, environmental, etc.
    I can't say I don't buy cheap imported goods but I can say I am aware of the trade offs in doing so. I do not agree that a disposable cheap product is a better buy then a quality well made product of the same kind ie. a folding chair. My motto is always buy the best you can afford whether it be a chair, tools, beer or motorcycles. Thats why I own A BMW.

    PS I made my own chair and have been known to make my own beer

    Bill

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    264

    quality and pride

    I'm with you. There's something about camping on a bike. It's like the ultimate. Nothing wrong with the Winnebago but with the bike I just feel closer to what camping in the great out-of-doors is all about. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and nature is all around us but I just love being out in it. I take pride in the little things that I have saved up and purchased for my bike outtings. The old Kermit is one of those little things. After a long hard day in the saddle, the kermit lends itself for the comfort of the user. Enough said. If a person chooses to spend the extra money for some quality, others should not find fault. IEnjoy what is important to you.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    77

    Okay - Kermit it is!

    I've been watching this thread with interest since I'll be taking the long way to Gillette (Juneau AK first). I loaded my bike last week and it's tight, trying to take enough camping/cooking/fishing gear for a month does entail a lot of stuff. I had a little chair but couldn't fit it in so I ordered the Kermit. Now I'm worried about packing that but guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes. Thanks for all the info about chairs, it was helpful. Steve

  4. #34
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    I'll be bringing my 7 dollar collapsible chair with me to Gillette. I have had it for years.
    Watch it break this year.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  5. #35
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpuckett View Post
    Kermit is like yuppie coffee houses ... way over priced. $129.00 for a chair that might have $15.00 worth of materials in it and 1 hour of labor.

    You can buy 15 Walmart quad chairs for the same money. I subscribe to the buy it when you get to the rally and give it away or throw it away at the end of the rally.

    Certainly not as comfortable as a Kermit, but $129.00 times 2 plus the room two of them would take up on my 1150RT. I carry my soon to be 13 y/o son, Zach, to all of these rallies.
    Our 2 Kermit chairs are now about 15 years old. I bought them for $65 back then. I'd say that $4/year/chair has been a pretty good deal. We've been carrying two on our RT for a few years now and haven't found a better, more economical seat. Even at the current pricing, they're still a great value, given the anticipated lifespan.

    We've managed to drop them a bunch of times, had one run over by a GS and recently had to re-glue one of the rolled steel pegs for the upper cross pieces. They just keep on going.

    We easily carry two Kermit chairs on top of our Mag's Bag. The Mag's Bag has a stretchy corded spot on top that will hold a pair of chairs easily. (And an umbrella for construction stops, along with stinky sandals) All the rest of our camping gear fits in the bag easily. There's no way I could lash a couple of giant WalMart chairs on top like I do with the Kermits.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  6. #36
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by themayer View Post
    My grandfather learned to work at the end of the nineteenth century, and here at the beginning of the twenty-first century, I still benefit from the fact that I learned to work from him. One of the things he taught me is: always buy the best tools that you can afford. Not only do they do the job they were designed for, and do it for a long time, but also they give pleasure in their use. The Kermit chair is an elegant solution to a common problem. It's made of quality materials, is a pleasure to set up and use, and will last a long time. Personally, I find it depressing to be surrounded by cheap sh*t that is ugly, just barely performs the task it was designed for (if you're lucky), and will fail after a few uses. Not to mention the incredible waste of resources involved in producing the stuff. [disclaimer: I have no connection, financial or otherwise, to the Kermit Chair Empire]
    Exactly, Bill. Exactly.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  7. #37
    Registered User theLuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Glen Ivy, CA
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by BMorleyW View Post
    Now I'm worried about packing that but guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes.
    Use the Helen Two Wheels straps and sew the strap on the Kermit bag to thread the strap through, so it doesn't slide out sideways. Works like a champ.
    the Luz

  8. #38
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by themayer View Post
    My grandfather learned to work at the end of the nineteenth century, and here at the beginning of the twenty-first century, I still benefit from the fact that I learned to work from him. One of the things he taught me is: always buy the best tools that you can afford. Not only do they do the job they were designed for, and do it for a long time, but also they give pleasure in their use. The Kermit chair is an elegant solution to a common problem. It's made of quality materials, is a pleasure to set up and use, and will last a long time. Personally, I find it depressing to be surrounded by cheap sh*t that is ugly, just barely performs the task it was designed for (if you're lucky), and will fail after a few uses. Not to mention the incredible waste of resources involved in producing the stuff. [disclaimer: I have no connection, financial or otherwise, to the Kermit Chair Empire]
    Don't overlook cheap sh*t that isn't ugly, and does perform the task it was intended for, and doesn't break. That is far better than expensive stuff that does the same thing, IMO.

    your father was a wise man. You must also buy the best tools you can, that actually work for you. Since Kermit chairs do not fit me, I really have no alternative, I feel like I am sitting in a toy. At 7 dollars for the chair I have now (it may have been less), I am down to about less than a dollar per year. If I buy a Kermit chair now, I may not live long enough to get it down to under a dollar per year. Since I only pack for one, my chair easily fits in a duffle bag with my Therm-a-rest (my one concession to a more expensive sleep aid, instead of foam) and I am set to rally. Diversity is the spice of life, not to mention the laughs I will create when my chair does spontaneously collapse.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4

    GCI Quick-E-Seat

    I like the GCI Quick-E-Seat $30 from REI $27 from Bass Pro. Lifetime warranty, comfortable, 300# load rating, 4# weight 4" X 27" folded. I've had one for five years, replaced the back rest once under warranty. Great product.

    Robert

  10. #40
    Retired User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    Don't overlook cheap sh*t that isn't ugly, and does perform the task it was intended for, and doesn't break. That is far better than expensive stuff that does the same thing, IMO.

    your father was a wise man. You must also buy the best tools you can, that actually work for you. Since Kermit chairs do not fit me, I really have no alternative, I feel like I am sitting in a toy. At 7 dollars for the chair I have now (it may have been less), I am down to about less than a dollar per year.
    I haven't yet found any cheap stuff that meets the above description, but I'll keep looking. And if I find it - I'll buy it. When I can get the bargain, I'll take it. When I need to spend more money to solve a problem - if I have it, I'll spend it. I certainly recognize that there are different solutions to a problem for different people. I meant no disrespect toward anyone about their choices. Nor should the makers or buyers of Kermit chairs be faulted for theirs. Let's just keep riding those expensive German bikes.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

  11. #41
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by themayer View Post
    I haven't yet found any cheap stuff that meets the above description, but I'll keep looking. And if I find it - I'll buy it. When I can get the bargain, I'll take it. When I need to spend more money to solve a problem - if I have it, I'll spend it. I certainly recognize that there are different solutions to a problem for different people. I meant no disrespect toward anyone about their choices. Nor should the makers or buyers of Kermit chairs be faulted for theirs. Let's just keep riding those expensive German bikes.
    I agree. I don't fault anybody their choice of what makes them comfortable. My bikes were all cheap though.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  12. #42
    Scottish Transplant Picinisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Desert Southwest, AZ
    Posts
    245

    Chair census

    OK. I started this thread and will now be counting chairs at the rally. The term stand up and be counted is a necessity here so's I can see your chair. It will be "ugly" against "art".

    So look out.
    2004 R1150GS 1978 R75G/S Frankenbike
    AMA - BMWMOA - BMWRSOC - AZBEEMERS
    Gilbert, Arizona

  13. #43
    Has the GS-Lust The_Veg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Posts
    5,331
    About the comments about lashing the larger chairs to the luggage, I submit Exhibit A:



    That chair, inside it's carry-bag, was strapped on right behind a Helen Two Wheels duffel (using the H2W straps) and was no problem at all. I have also strapped it onto the tiny cargo-rack of that bike without any problem.

    Dave said he was getting $4/chair/year from his Kermits. My chair is close behind- I paid $20 at REI (so it's slightly better than the really cheep chairs I guess) four years ago, so one more year and I'll catch up. Given the shape the chair is in, this will not be a problem. It takes lots of abuse (at home as well as on the road) and shrugs it off and I predict at least another four years from this chair.

    But here's the clincher, the thing that will make everything I've said above meaningless.
    This past weekend I got to sit in a brand-spankin'-new Kermit that a friend of mine just got, complete with leg-extensions, cup holder, the works. I found that the chair felt flimsy and I was afraid to move much in it, and even more importantly, I found it to be too small in width, seat-depth, and back-height to get comfortable in it.
    So while Kermit may work for some, its' ergos suck for me. But then I'm the kind of freakishly large guy who bought a GS primarily because it's tall.
    2012 R1200GS

    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

  14. #44
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    About the comments about lashing the larger chairs to the luggage, I submit Exhibit A:



    That chair, inside it's carry-bag, was strapped on right behind a Helen Two Wheels duffel (using the H2W straps) and was no problem at all. I have also strapped it onto the tiny cargo-rack of that bike without any problem.

    Dave said he was getting $4/chair/year from his Kermits. My chair is close behind- I paid $20 at REI (so it's slightly better than the really cheep chairs I guess) four years ago, so one more year and I'll catch up. Given the shape the chair is in, this will not be a problem. It takes lots of abuse (at home as well as on the road) and shrugs it off and I predict at least another four years from this chair.

    But here's the clincher, the thing that will make everything I've said above meaningless.
    This past weekend I got to sit in a brand-spankin'-new Kermit that a friend of mine just got, complete with leg-extensions, cup holder, the works. I found that the chair felt flimsy and I was afraid to move much in it, and even more importantly, I found it to be too small in width, seat-depth, and back-height to get comfortable in it.
    So while Kermit may work for some, its' ergos suck for me. But then I'm the kind of freakishly large guy who bought a GS primarily because it's tall.
    So you are saying you have a "girth" defect?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  15. #45
    Minnesota Nice! braddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities - MN
    Posts
    1,925

    Got y'all beat...

    But I don't think this would happen at every rally.

    The folks that were camped next to me in West Bend let me use one of their chairs. In fact, when they went off for a day trip, they even took it out of their tent, and put it by mine so I'd have a place to sit. Very nice, I used it, too. Gotta love those Canadians.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •