Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What Chair

Quote Originally Posted by BMorleyW View Post
    I was thinking of ordering a Kermit but my bike's pretty loaded right now. Hmm.
    Question is will I end up taking it after paying all that money? Steve
    Kermit is like yuppie coffee houses ... way over priced. $129.00 for a chair that might have $15.00 worth of materials in it and 1 hour of labor.

You can buy 15 Walmart quad chairs for the same money. I subscribe to the buy it when you get to the rally and give it away or throw it away at the end of the rally.

Certainly not as comfortable as a Kermit, but $129.00 times 2 plus the room two of them would take up on my 1150RT. I carry my soon to be 13 y/o son, Zach, to all of these rallies.
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

The kermit is certainly de rigeur, however I don't own one, I find them a bit low. Yes I know you can get leg extensions (for the chair), however a Kermit is probably worth more than my bike.

I have one of those ubiquitous folding chairs, it must be 10 years old by now, however it works great.

Diann of course has a genuine BMW Motoman chair that she won at Trenton. She still lets me sit beside her even though I only have the plebian chair........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

+ umpty for Kermit! Yup, I have done the $10 chairs too and find them wanting at best. Each to his/her own, but when rallying I'll pack my Kermit.

When I sit in a Kermit chair, I feel like I am going to break something.
    At 6'2" it doesn't fit my large a.........ahem...... frame.

A real lawn chair makes my 3 or 4 days at the National quite comfy.
    Not to mention, people who visit our campsite invariably sit in it, as opposed to Kermit chairs.
    In Texas, the guy who lent me some blocks of wood for my bike when adjusting valves, found a folding lawn chair in the back off his pick up.
    Karma is great!
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpuckett View Post
    Kermit is like yuppie coffee houses ... way over priced. $129.00 for a chair that might have $15.00 worth of materials in it and 1 hour of labor.

You can buy 15 Walmart quad chairs for the same money. I subscribe to the buy it when you get to the rally and give it away or throw it away at the end of the rally.
    My grandfather learned to work at the end of the nineteenth century, and here at the beginning of the twenty-first century, I still benefit from the fact that I learned to work from him. One of the things he taught me is: always buy the best tools that you can afford. Not only do they do the job they were designed for, and do it for a long time, but also they give pleasure in their use. The Kermit chair is an elegant solution to a common problem. It's made of quality materials, is a pleasure to set up and use, and will last a long time. Personally, I find it depressing to be surrounded by cheap sh*t that is ugly, just barely performs the task it was designed for (if you're lucky), and will fail after a few uses. Not to mention the incredible waste of resources involved in producing the stuff. [disclaimer: I have no connection, financial or otherwise, to the Kermit Chair Empire]
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

What chair?

Kermit chair.!!!! There are others such as the $8.00 from Wally World but the Kerit chair is very comfortable and as far as assemblying it, twice through it and it goesw together in about a minute. Did I mention it is comfortable. No problem packing it on the bike. My wife and I go out on the road all the time camping and we always take our Kermit chairs along. These can be handed down to your kids when they are grown and you can't walk anymore. This is a long term investment. If you want to get one at the rally, they might have a few but they sell out quickly. If you are going to buy one, get it BEFORE you go to the rally.

I've got a cheep chair. Yeah it packs down to a yard long by 4-6", but it refuses to die and still looks pretty good- even after a whole summer in the TexSux sun out on the patio. And yes, I do strap that big thing onto the bike.
    Besides, for a big strappin' lad like myself there is NO substitute for a big strappin' chair.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

advrider.com
    This is what I use.

cruise_carter
    Kermit for me!

I pack 2 in with sleeping bags, large tent, etc. in my Jo's U-pack without problems.

Have had mine since 2002 and I go about 260 lbs.
    Never a problem, very comfy, and I can sit and stretch out my legs.

I like!

Dale

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    .... two aluminum Wally World chairs at $10 each (on sale) in 2001. Still using them and they have arms. We use a small fold up alum. table between us to set those adult beverages on. At this rate I would be older than Methuselah before I'd come close to the cost of a Kermit for both of us. To each their own eh? -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

judjones
    If you haven't got room to pack a kermit chair you are probably carrying way more crap than you need. Without mine, I would have broken enough $10 chairs over the years to pay for mine (only $70 bucks when I got it). OTOH, Wally World is open on Sunday morning, early enough to return your chair of choice for a refund before heading home. (just kidding, but I was inspired by a true story about a tent, related in another thread).

Muneio
    Quote Originally Posted by themayer View Post
    Personally, I find it depressing to be surrounded by cheap sh*t that is ugly, just barely performs the task it was designed for (if you're lucky), and will fail after a few uses. Not to mention the incredible waste of resources involved in producing the stuff. [disclaimer: I have no connection, financial or otherwise, to the Kermit Chair Empire]
    +1

Muneio
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpuckett View Post

Certainly not as comfortable as a Kermit, but $129.00 times 2 plus the room two of them would take up on my 1150RT. I carry my soon to be 13 y/o son, Zach, to all of these rallies.
    Ok I have to reply to this. Being a cabinet maker by trade I know the cost and time involved in making furniture. I would challenge you to go out and buy the oak, aluminum and stainless hardware required, then build a chair in your stated 1 hour time frame. Can't wait to see your final product! The real problem here is more and more people are under the impression that since they can buy cheap imported goods/junk that nothing including quality American made goods are worth anything! The skills of the craftsman and artist are no longer valued. Only mass quanitys of throw away crap seems to be of value.

PS Don't complain when your job gets outsourced, besides you can work at Wally World for minimum wage.

End of hijack

Cheers and good luck
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Muneio View Post
    Ok I have to reply to this. Being a cabinet maker by trade I know the cost and time involved in making furniture. I would challenge you to go out and buy the oak, aluminum and stainless hardware required, then build a chair in your stated 1 hour time frame. Can't wait to see your final product! The real problem here is more and more people are under the impression that since they can buy cheap imported goods/junk that nothing including quality American made goods are worth anything! The skills of the craftsman and artist are no longer valued. Only mass quanitys of throw away crap seems to be of value.

PS Don't complain when your job gets outsourced, besides you can work at Wally World for minimum wage.

End of hijack

Cheers and good luck
    Bill
    Kermit first tried to sell his chair business to a close friend of mine in Egypt Mills, MO, who happens to be a certified master BMW technician and at the time, owner of Grass Roots BMW in Cape Girardeau. My friend has a serious wood working shop in Egypt Mills and knows how to use it. Your statement would be correct if we were only to purchase materials to build one chair. The $129.00 price does not include the aluminum leg extensions.
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

There's something about buying a cheap metal and plastic chair, probably made on the other side of the planet , from the cheap crap store and then throwing it out after a couple days of use that's kind of disgusting. I don't know if it's the tree hugger or the yankee in me that's more bothered by it.

Is it really that hard to lash a chair to the rest of your luggage and get years of use out of it.