Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Chair

What Chair

I will be riding to the Rally with my camping gear and clothes for a week. I see at rallies, other campers with chairs outside their tents. What is a good foldable lightweight chair that I can carry with my gear on the back of my R1100RSL
    2004 R1150GS
    AMA - BMWMOA - BMWRSOC - AZBEEMERS
    Gilbert, Arizona

SNC1923

1flyer
    +1, Kermit.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

The original - Kermit. That is a picture of the inventor. He has since sold the business but the business still carries his name and maintains the quality.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I've got a Kermit and even though it packs up small, I always seem to run out of places to stow it....and so it has stayed home thus far. It does pack up small, but never manages to make the cut.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I use one of the canvas & metal types from Sears or Walmart sporting goods section - but in the small size. Looks almost like a childs size chair. At $10 each, I don't mind replacing it every couple of years when the stitching or fabric give out.

Folded, it is the same packed size as my tent poles, so it lashes down right next to them.
    Mark J
    Merritt Island, FL

Quote Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
    I use one of the canvas & metal types from Sears or Walmart sporting goods section - but in the small size. Looks almost like a childs size chair. At $10 each, I don't mind replacing it every couple of years when the stitching or fabric give out.

Folded, it is the same packed size as my tent poles, so it lashes down right next to them.
    Now you're talking $10 as opposed to $125 for the Kermit. In fact at that price I could probably drop in at a Walmart near the Rally and buy one there and discard or donate it at the end so as not to carry it.
    2004 R1150GS
    AMA - BMWMOA - BMWRSOC - AZBEEMERS
    Gilbert, Arizona

beemerdon
    I have the Kermit chair and it goes on the small rack at the back of my GS, but I think you have hit on the right plan. Stop in at the nearest ***Mart and get a nice $10 chair and leave it at the end of the rally. You'll get your money's worth out of it and won't have to schlep it back and forth!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
    Now you're talking $10 as opposed to $125 for the Kermit. In fact at that price I could probably drop in at a Walmart near the Rally and buy one there and discard or donate it at the end so as not to carry it.
    I do that sometimes. Sometimes, if we are going really far and I know we are nmot camping on the way, I buy a cheap lawn chair at a store near the rally, then slip it into somebody's pickup bed that works at the fairgrounds. heh.

I usually bring my 7 dollar collapsible from Menards Home store.
    I have had it for years now.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Kermit?

I was thinking of ordering a Kermit but my bike's pretty loaded right now. Hmm.
    Question is will I end up taking it after paying all that money? Steve

I have an $9.99 camo folding chair from Dick's. Had to duct tape the cover for it and the plastic feet are little wore, (from sliding down the road with the bike strapped to it )but it has never let me down yet

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    I do that sometimes. Sometimes, if we are going really far and I know we are nmot camping on the way, I buy a cheap lawn chair at a store near the rally, then slip it into somebody's pickup bed that works at the fairgrounds. heh.

I usually bring my 7 dollar collapsible from Menards Home store.
    I have had it for years now.
    That is so much better than forcing someone to dumpster dive!

Quote Originally Posted by BMorleyW View Post
    I was thinking of ordering a Kermit but my bike's pretty loaded right now. Hmm.
    Question is will I end up taking it after paying all that money? Steve
    I manage to pack both mine and my wifes Kermit on the bike. And we ride two up. If you can't find room for it, ya just aren't trying hard enough.

And yes, you will definately take it with you. I can think of a lot of things we pack that I could leave at home. The Kermits aren't one of them. Go ahead and to the altar of Kermit, for they are worthy.
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '03 F650CS '09 F650GS

I use the $6 to $10 ones from Target or Wally World. They are about the same size as the Kermits, only at a more reasonable height with no assembly required. Plus if you lose or break one, you won't cry about it.

The latest set I got at Target has plastic end caps under the fabric at the top, so I'm hoping the fabric won't tear out on this set for a while.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

+2 kermit chair