Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Our first tour - North Conway NH, and our 10th anniversary!

Our first tour - North Conway NH, and our 10th anniversary!

Last weekend my wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary with our first tour. With our son stowed away with his grandparents, we loaded the luggage for an overnight in North Conway NH. Maine in the spring is about as good as it gets. Warm days, cool nights, no bugs.

We left shortly after noon Saturday with plans to make our way west on secondary routes. Leaving Augusta and picking up route 133 in Winthrop took us to route 219 in Turner. 219 is an excellent road, speeds mostly 40-55 with towns interspersed.
    This was on route 219 outside of West Sumner, thats Plesant Pond in back.

From 219 we hitched up to route 26 to Bethel (home to Olyimpia, The Snow Woman - now in the guiness book for the largest ever snowman(woman)) where we swung south on route 5 which skirts the east edge of the White Mountain National Forest. In warmer times, taking route 113 south through the NF is a MUCH better option (windies, twisties, etc..) but it is closed in winter and still snow covered.

We saw this guy shortly after turning on to 5:

Here's a sign you don't see just ANYWHERE (except at the junction of routes 5 and 35 in Lynchville, Maine):

We hit North Conway later in the afternoon and stopped at the scenic lookout. A little eariler and the sun wouldn't have washed out Mount Washington in the background, still mostly snowcovered:

Saturday night dinner at Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewery was spec-frickin-tacular. Food was absoutely awesome, so was the beer so a cab ride to and from was in order. Highly recommended

Packed and ready for the ride home Sunday morning

We discovered (well, we really KNEW) that my wife's boots aren't waterproof. And we need some waterproof gloves. But otherwise, I found I actually enjoyed riding in the rain. It wasn't a downpour but a good steady, sometimes hard rain. We hooked up with a fellow on a Harley who was on the last leg of his first tour, from Florida to Maine. Turns out he lives only a couple towns over from us. Small world.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

SNC1923
    Great--if brief--ride report. Looks like a grand time. That's a gorgeous K75 you've got there. Thanks for sharing the great pictures.

Thanks Tom. It's true but it was also a brief ride, 220 miles round trip.

My wife did say that I looked more comfortable on the K than I did on my previous bike, an '01 VStar 650.

And thanks for the comments on the bike. I absoultely love it.
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Mongo
    Nice. You were in my back yard

Hi Kevin,
    I think I've met your wife over on another thread! I suppose if my wife were on the site she'd have to be "SheRidesAHonda"
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Nearly 30 years ago, my then girlfriend and I packed up an R75/7 with our camping gear and headed up to North Conway from Mass on our first trip together. It was quite an adventure involving me getting food poisoned, leaving our helmets out on the picnic table in the rain, realizing we only had a single rain suit to split between us and other follies.

She called me an hour after I'd dropped her off at home after this miserable trip and I knew I'd found someone special.

And, I had a Kbike just like that.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Thanks for sharing.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Great report. New England is one of my favorite places to ride. I can hardly wait to go back!
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

franze
    Once you realize that good gear makes rain riding "not so bad" you open yourself to a lot more riding. Thanks for taking us along

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Nice way to celebrate your anniversary! A few key pieces of gear and all will be well. Thanks for the report!

ps. I'm nobody's wife
    The big guy is my SO
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

My humble apologies Gail
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Thanks for the report. It still looks a little chilly up your way.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Fine report and I second the comment from SNC1923 - beautiful K75.

Did you get the chance to visit Whitehorse Press?

Thanks!

Actually Terence, last Sunday was the first rainy day we'd had in at least a couple weeks. And up to last weekend, the temps were in the upper 60's and 70's.

Paul,
    No! Actually, never knew about it. We didn't really have time to stop but could have made more time had I known earlier. Thanks for the tip!
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

BUBBAZANETTI
    must be a common trip for new england couples. the first time my girlfriend ever rode for any distance with me we went to conway nh, somehow managing to do 2 up on a R11S with a tent strapped on behind her, i kept halucinating about burning nylon smell the whole way up.