Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Photo Assignment 05/04/08

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Feedback II

Back for more fun and games after a restful night's sleep, dreaming of reflections. . . .

Kbasa has a couple of photos that I really like this week. This one is only marginally successful as a motion shot, though it does reveal—successfully reveal—motion. Now here's the tricky part: a slower speed would have blurred the background rendering a greater sense of speed, but does he want to portray this rider as speeding past the crowd? Probably not. It's an interesting background that helps to tell the story (of a bike judging) and it's very well composed. Nary a head is cut off, including the rider and his hat. And whereas even portions of the bike are blurred with motion, the rider's face is razor sharp. It's a good capture.

This is hilarious. I LOVE the bike and the riding gear. That's not Tina on the back. Who is it, you devil? It looks like loads of fun. In comparison to other photos, though, this reveals no motion whatsoever. The high shutter speed freezes everything and the bike could well be on its side stand. Obviously an action shot, it's reasonably well composed for such a rapid shot. 500 bonus points for the vintage gear.

I really like Burnszilla's submission, above. Here the photo tells a story by obscuring the subject, here bandmates playing some tune. As I said earlier, this reminds me a bit of an impressionist painting, one that reveals its subject in oblique and textural ways. Although a successful shot where the foreground is still and the subject moving, this would have been even stronger through use of a tripod or setting the camera on a flat surface. This would have been most successful with the drum kit, parts of which are static, others moving. May not have been possible. Neat image regardless.

Beerteam's submission is bridging two assignments: motion and reflection. Nicely done. This is an inventive interpretation. It's a nice composition and exposure, but requires explanation. The awning is so obscure and the motion so slight. I especially admire the reflection and secondary arch in the window on the far right. With this photographer, I have to assume that was intentional. This is an enormously complex image, and in that I admire it very much.

BT's other image, again requiring an explanation, but one that reveals perhaps the most inventive interpretation of motion. This is a fantastic exposure, one that captures both the evening sky and the illuminated dial of the clock. It's interesting that the perspective/choice of lens doesn't allow the clock standard and the building to be simultaneously perpendicular: the building appears on a slant, the clock straight; straighten the building, there goes the clock. I agree with his decision. Neat shot.

MLS2GO brings us a very interesting image, not dissimilar to a few of 130253's submissions (I'm not asserting any copying here—I tried a few myself but was dissatisfied with the results). It's not a remarkable photo, one of those that so many of us have grabbed on our bikes: a bit of windshield and instrument panel and whizzing scenery. It is a pleasant subject, much better than buildings or barren farm land. What is interesting, though, it that this is a case study in relative motion. The flowers close to the camera are very blurry and can be seen rushing by, but the flowers in the distance reveal very little motion. This is why we struggle to read highway signs in the distance rather than when they are up close. Very interesting study here and one that could be used to illustrate a number of motion lessons. Nice.

Hallisbruce brings us a beautiful nature shot. What magnificent animals. It's a good exposure and I like his compositional choice. Though the sheep are dead-centered, they are covering the bisecting horizon and leading the viewer's eye out of the frame. I would prefer not be looking at them from slightly behind, but droves of big horn sheep can be very uncooperative that way. This is another shot where the motion is utterly frozen and reveals what could be an elaborate taxidermist's display. I understand, of course, that this is not, and is a wonderful image of beautiful wild animals. Would a slower shutter speed have enhanced or detracted from this image?

Becky's got two really interesting shots here that offer two nice comparisons. The top photo reveals almost no motion whereas the bottom photo does show some movement. I like the composition of the top better. It's a better, a more exciting angle. The shadow tells me that this was shot when the sun was high in the sky, near mid-day. The exif data—if it is to be believed—shows the top photo was taken around 10 a.m. and the bottom closer to noon. Look at the difference in contrast. The top photo is a beauty whereas the bottom is "muddy," probably the result of shooting into the sun. This is an object lesson in shooting during the golden hours and with the sun at your back. Combining the best of both these photos would result in a masterful image. Taken separately, they're each good.

Beemerchef chimes in this week with a wonderful motion study. I love the brown colors in this image, too. The chosen shutter speed allows there to be motion seen in the churning water while the background is visible in sharp contrast. An even slower speed (perhaps only possible with an ND filter) may have shown even greater motion, the sort of painterly light one often sees with these water images. I love how the water nearly splashes the viewer, Ara got down very close to the water to take this shot. It's a great composition.

I flat-out love Sheridesabeemer's shot this time around. Gail has a wonderful capture here. Like MLS2GO's shot this reveals relative motion, too, though this is also circular motion. It's also a perfect panning shot, in which Gail moves with the horse as it spins by. The background and farther objects are blurred at progressively greater rates, while the horse, moving at exactly the speed of the panning camera, is revealed in sharp relief. If I were to pick a nit, I would have moved closer in order to eliminate the red guard rail, either including the horse's feet or getting in closer for a 3/4 shot. It's hard to find fault with this otherwise perfect image. You should be really proud of this well-executed shot, Gail. And if this is any indication of the creativity your new camera will unleash, you have many more to look forward to. Sorry if I missed it, but what did you buy?

Our last submission is from CWaterous—and a good one at that. This is a great action shot of a young woman taking her horse through its paces. It makes me think of those famous motion studies that finally revealed—once-and-for-all—that all four hoofs come off the ground when a horse is in a dead run. This horse, however, is barely galloping. A well-executed image, it is a bit pedestrian. A slower shutter speed would have given a far greater sense of motion. Perhaps a different perspective may have lent greater interest, though they probably don't want you out in front of the horses, I'll bet. Not a great motion study, but a good photograph and one worth exploring further. Thank you for submitting and do join us again!

Well, that's it folks. I want to apologize again for having let this go, and to thank GrossJohann for stepping up and doing an assignment. I'll be doing some more, and encourage others to jump in as well. I can help you or—as in GJ's case—you can take the ball and run with it. Suggestions for themes are always welcome, too. Happy shooting and I'll see you again soon.

Thumbs up Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    Beerteam's submission is bridging two assignments: motion and reflection. Nicely done. This is an inventive interpretation. It's a nice composition and exposure, but requires explanation. The awning is so obscure and the motion so slight. I especially admire the reflection and secondary arch in the window on the far right. With this photographer, I have to assume that was intentional. This is an enormously complex image, and in that I admire it very much.
    I crawled on the sidewalk 5 minutes for that shot!!!

BT's other image, again requiring an explanation, but one that reveals perhaps the most inventive interpretation of motion. This is a fantastic exposure, one that captures both the evening sky and the illuminated dial of the clock. It's interesting that the perspective/choice of lens doesn't allow the clock standard and the building to be simultaneously perpendicular: the building appears on a slant, the clock straight; straighten the building, there goes the clock. I agree with his decision. Neat shot.
    With the 28 wide angle of the S70 Point and Shot, the straight line on the edge of the photos are not perpendicular to the horizon . When it is a concern, I take a few extra shots with a very slight camera opposing tilt. Then I pick the image that I like.

Well, that's it folks. I want to apologize again for having let this go, and to thank GrossJohann for stepping up and doing an assignment. I'll be doing some more, and encourage others to jump in as well. I can help you orÔÇöas in GJ's caseÔÇöyou can take the ball and run with it. Suggestions for themes are always welcome, too. Happy shooting and I'll see you again soon.
    Tom, Thanks for doing this. Last summer we had pages of shots, I stopped posting assignments when I stopped riding for the winter. This early spring we have much less participation than last summer. Hope this get going again.

I have to apologize for showing reflection photos on a motion assignment. What happens is the assignment often do not work my schedule. The reflection theme was when I rode an off-road event and I could of done all kinds of actions shots. The Motion them was when the Motion Picture was in the area. Some assignment work perfect, like the "Old School " theme when the motion picture was in Oshkosh.

Are we going to have a Photo Assignment "Meet and Greet" at the Gillette National?

Is he part duck?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Speaking of photo assignments, isn't it time for a new one? My company is sending me to Montego Bay for a week (leaving soon) and I'm sure it will offer me some excellent photo opportunities; assuming I manage to get out of the office.
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Is he part duck?
    It's Lt. Dan with a shave and a haircut..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride: K1600GT
    had: R1200GSA
    had: K1300GT
    had: R1200GS

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar

Angry

Thanks for the feedback guys. I deleted the picture, go make jokes at someone elses expense.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

I wouldn’t take it so hard, Gail. The boys are just picking on you because they like you.

It is a great shot and deserves to be posted.
    Alex Grossjohann
    2004 R1150RSA
    2008 328xi Coupe

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
    Yay! Loraz is back!!
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    You sir may touch my monkey.

Hiya Burnsy You still living in that enchanted forest?

I caught this old gal sunbathing behind the house.

Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT